• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The search for the perfect nacho

Chris Hennes

the classic thing you get at the movies. the gooey cheese

this is what you really want??

In the states, it's not hard to find. Especially if you go to the warehouse club type places. These stores sell a lot of stuff to vendors that sell them at carnivals and what not.

Really, you don't make it. You just buy it in a can and dump it out into something that can heat and dispense it.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

the classic thing you get at the movies. the gooey cheese

this is what you really want??

In the states, it's not hard to find. Especially if you go to the warehouse club type places. These stores sell a lot of stuff to vendors that sell them at carnivals and what not.

Really, you don't make it. You just buy it in a can and dump it out into something that can heat and dispense it.

Well, are you really looking to replicate the neon orange ballpark nacho cheese, or do you just want a good cheese dip? There are many excellent recipes for cheese dip that actually use real cheese (imagine that!).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Sometimes, you just have a craving for something like waxy "cheese" sauce on tortilla chips. It's a type of comfort food, much like Kraft Mac&Cheese is comfort food for some.

Toufas, you might want to try to find an import shop that sells American products like Cheez Whiz or Velveeta, or if there are equivalents in the UK, start with one of those. With Cheez Whiz you can just melt it and pour it over your tortilla chips, or you can doctor it up with a bit more spice. I think you might have to make a "cheese" sauce if you use Velveeta, but I'm sure a Google search will turn something up that will suit your tastes.

Sometimes, you just have a craving for something like waxy "cheese" sauce on tortilla chips.  It's a type of comfort food, much like Kraft Mac&Cheese is comfort food for some.

Toufas, you might want to try to find an import shop that sells American products like Cheez Whiz or Velveeta, or if there are equivalents in the UK, start with one of those.  With Cheez Whiz you can just melt it and pour it over your tortilla chips, or you can doctor it up with a bit more spice.  I think you might have to make a "cheese" sauce if you use Velveeta, but I'm sure a Google search will turn something up that will suit your tastes.

I'm in Manchester, Toufas, and I vaguely remember seeing them at Selfridges or Harvey Nichols.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

well i am looking for a chefs equivalent of that fake thing :P

how lets say i turn cheddar into that gooey chemical goodness without the chemicals

The part of that "cheese" that allows the real cheese to remain emulsified is the chemicals. You can create an excellent cheese dip, but I don't think you could replicate quite the same gooeyness. I am, however, quite fond of a simple cheese dip made with heavy cream, a bit of creme fraiche, and monterrey jack, that is sort of the "real cheese" equivalent of Cheese Wiz.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I use "On The Border" chips. Not sure if they are available in PA, but On the Border is also a chain of Tex-Mex restaurants (many locations down here in Dallas, plus other areas in the region). I used to use Tostitos Restaurant Style, until I started to use the OTB chips.

The beans do make them a little soggy. But as you say, they are hearty.

I use "On The Border" chips.  Not sure if they are available in PA, but On the Border is also a chain of Tex-Mex restaurants (many locations down here in Dallas, plus other areas in the region).

We have the restaurant (they make a killer margarita!) in Philly, anyway, but I have never seen the chips. I will keep my eyes open for them. Do you use 100% cheddar on your nachos? I usually blend it with some smoother, easier-melting cheese, like Jack or Colby. I love cheddar plain, but I find that it gets overpowering, and even a little greasy, once heated.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I use "On The Border" chips.  Not sure if they are available in PA, but On the Border is also a chain of Tex-Mex restaurants (many locations down here in Dallas, plus other areas in the region).

We have the restaurant (they make a killer margarita!) in Philly, anyway, but I have never seen the chips. I will keep my eyes open for them. Do you use 100% cheddar on your nachos? I usually blend it with some smoother, easier-melting cheese, like Jack or Colby. I love cheddar plain, but I find that it gets overpowering, and even a little greasy, once heated.

yeah, I usually use all cheddar. But every now and then, I'll buy some monterey jack and mix that in with the cheddar.

As to the chip portion of the nacho experience, I like the thicker really corny tasting chips at several local places. It never occurred to me to buy a bag for take-out. Once I did that I never went back to supermarket chips. The price is always way better than the market and the taste head and shoulders above.