• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Restaurant Meals 2007

docsconz

For me 2007 was an outstanding year with a number of extremely fine restaurant meals not cracking my top ten or even my top twenty. Indeed, 2007 will be a difficult year for me to beat as travels brought me to Spain, Peru, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Phoenix and of course NYC. I had some great meals cooked by professional chefs in private kitchens that would have been very high on this list, but did not include them since they were not in restaurants. Here are my top 20 restaurant meals from 2007.

elBulli Cala Montjol, Catalunya, Spain 4-May
Ca Sento Valencia, Spain 2-May
L'Esguard Sant Andreu de Llavanares, Spain 29-Apr
Blue Hill at Stone Barns Tarrytown, N.Y. 30-Mar
WD-50 N.Y., N.Y. 17-Sep
Fiamma N.Y., N.Y. 23-Nov
WD-50 N.Y., N.Y. 5-Jan
Huaca Pucllana Lima, Peru 24-Feb Lunch
L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon Las Vegas, Nevada 23-Mar
Binkley's Scottsdale, Arizona 27-Mar
Wing Lei Las Vegas, Nevada 25-Mar
Levante Benisanó, Valencia, Spain 30-Apr
Bodegas Casa Montaña Valencia, Spain 30-Apr
Monastrell Alicante, Spain 2-May
Tailor N.Y., N.Y. 24-Nov
Coi San Francisco, CA. 16-Oct
Canteen San Francisco, CA. 18-Oct
Kokkari Estiatorio San Francisco, CA. 15-Oct
The Dining Room at the RC San Francisco, CA. 17-Oct
El Celler de Can Roca Girona, Spain 3-May
Las Machitas Cevicheria 20-Feb Cusco, Peru

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Mine:

1. Binkley's Cave Creek, AZ

2. Sel Gris Portland, Oregon

3. Atlas Bistro Scottsdale, AZ

4. Razz Scottsdale, AZ

5. Kenny & Zukes's Deli Portland, OR

6. Zinc Bistro Scottsdale, AZ

7. Joel Palmer House Dayton, Oregon

8. Bouchon Las Vegas

9. Mesa Grill Las Vegas

It was a good year!

Edited by duck833 (log)

Jean-Georges in November was the best meal I've ever had.

It is truly a wonderful thing when a meal resonates like that. Though I have not had the best meal of my life there, J-G is one of my very favorite restaurants. Unfortunately, I did not dine there in 2007 or it would likely have been on my list as well as it has in past years.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Mine:

1.  Binkley's                                Cave Creek, AZ

2.  Sel Gris                                  Portland, Oregon

3.  Atlas Bistro                              Scottsdale, AZ

4.  Razz                                      Scottsdale, AZ

5.  Kenny & Zukes's Deli                Portland, OR

6.  Zinc Bistro                              Scottsdale, AZ

7.  Joel Palmer House                    Dayton, Oregon

8.  Bouchon                                  Las Vegas

9.  Mesa Grill                                Las Vegas

It was a good year!

Your list is more precise than mine as Binkley's is in Cave Creek and not Scottsdale as I wrote. Regardless, it is a superb restaurant with wonderful food and would be wherever it was located.

Twitter - @docsconz

Au Pied de Cochon in Montreal in July and Alinea in Chicago in November were both fantastic.

Alinea is another one that has always been at the top of my list when I have been able to get there. My one visit to APDC was not so successful, though I would return.

Twitter - @docsconz

My best restaurant meals were East End Grill Memphis, deep fried butterfly shrimp basket with extra crispy fries for my birthday sitting on the patio watching the rain come down. Nostalgic favorite.

The whole family got to eat where my son, Chef-boy works, The Inn at Little Washington, for combination Christmas and our anniversary. It was really really wonderful. We started with a champagne toast from Chef and went on to black truffle popcorn, etc. etc. etc. We shamelessly shared food like three year olds. Chef-boy said that he couldn't even tell that he was at work because this was the first time for any of us to be in the dining room there. It was a stellar meal, impeccable service and all being together was the best.

Then of course, the Sunday brunch we had in Sperryville's Thornton River Grille that afternoon had to rank up very high. Not only was the food great, Chef-boy got the check!! :laugh: A day noted with several firsts.

Docsconz, that is a dream list of restaurants. You are a lucky man...and...you best of all, you recognize your good fortune.

It's telling that so many of your restaurants were either Spanish or South American...

in 25 words or less: how come?

Docsconz, that is a dream list of restaurants. You are a lucky man...and...you best of all, you recognize your good fortune.

It's telling that so many of your restaurants were either Spanish or South American...

in 25 words or less: how come?

Thanks, Judith. To answer your question, because I went to Spain and Peru with food and dining in mind. Had I been to Italy his year, there probably would have been a few more Italian restaurants on the list. I love to travel and I love to eat. I do both as often as I can, but particularly love to combine the two. I guess that was more than 25 words :raz::biggrin:

Edited by docsconz (log)

Twitter - @docsconz

I also envy docsconz's list but I am proud of mine since I must travel for all of these

1. Jean Georges, NYC - May

2. WD-50, NYC - May

3. Arrows, Ogunquit ME - July

4. Cyrus, Healdsburg CA - Oct

5. Annisa, NYC - Dec

6. Del Posto, NYC - August

7. Redd, Healdsburg, CA - Oct

8. Toque, Montreal - June

9. Clio, Boston - January

10. Room4Dessert, NYC May

But I should also add the Alchemist in Waterbury VT a beer and food pairing where each course had a beer designed for that dish.

1. Mugaritz (November)

2. L'Estany Clar (November x2)

2. Schwa (Once a month almost until they closed; anxiously awaiting its reopening, if the rumors are true)

3. Alinea (December but also July)

4. Babbo (February and September)

5. Wd-50 (January, March, August and December)

6. Aquavit (March, June and December)

7. Etxebarri (Everything you have heard is true and then some)

I have many great meals (CUstom House and Green Zebra, Comerc24 and Tapes24, Boqueria--NYC, Otto, Jean-Georges and many, many others) but the ones above really stood out.

1. Mugaritz (November)

2. L'Estany Clar (November x2)

2. Schwa (Once a month almost until they closed; anxiously awaiting its reopening, if the rumors are true)

3. Alinea (December but also July)

4. Babbo (February and September)

5. Wd-50 (January, March, August and December)

6. Aquavit (March, June and December)

7. Etxebarri (Everything you have heard is true and then some)

I have many great meals (CUstom House and Green Zebra, Comerc24 and Tapes24, Boqueria--NYC, Otto, Jean-Georges and many, many others) but the ones above really stood out.

Lenski, have you reported on your meal at Mugaritz? That is one I must hear about! Nice list.

Twitter - @docsconz

I also envy docsconz's list but I am proud of mine since I must travel for all of these

1. Jean Georges, NYC - May

2. WD-50, NYC - May

3. Arrows, Ogunquit ME - July

4. Cyrus, Healdsburg CA - Oct

5. Annisa, NYC - Dec

6. Del Posto, NYC - August

7. Redd, Healdsburg, CA - Oct

8. Toque, Montreal - June

9. Clio, Boston - January

10. Room4Dessert, NYC May

But I should also add the Alchemist in Waterbury VT a beer and food pairing where each course had a beer designed for that dish.

You get around pretty well yourself! A few of those restaurants have been on past years lists for me, but I have not yet tried Arrows (that was on your list last year too), Cyrus or Annisa, though I came close to doing Cyrus in 2006 and would have had I more time then. Your top two remain my two favorite restaurants in NYC, though Fiamma and Tailor are now right up there for me too.

Twitter - @docsconz

For me 2007 was an outstanding year with a number of extremely fine restaurant meals not cracking my top ten or even my top twenty. Indeed, 2007 will be a difficult year for me to beat as travels brought me to Spain, Peru, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Phoenix and of course NYC. I had some great meals cooked by professional chefs in private kitchens that would have been very high on this list, but did not include them since they were not in restaurants. Here are my top 20 restaurant meals from 2007.

elBulli    Cala Montjol, Catalunya, Spain 4-May
Ca Sento Valencia, Spain      2-May
L'Esguard  Sant Andreu de Llavanares, Spain 29-Apr
Blue Hill at Stone Barns Tarrytown, N.Y. 30-Mar
WD-50  N.Y., N.Y. 17-Sep
Fiamma N.Y., N.Y. 23-Nov
WD-50 N.Y., N.Y. 5-Jan
Huaca Pucllana Lima, Peru 24-Feb Lunch
L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon Las Vegas, Nevada 23-Mar
Binkley's Scottsdale, Arizona 27-Mar
Wing Lei Las Vegas, Nevada 25-Mar
Levante Benisanó, Valencia, Spain 30-Apr
Bodegas Casa Montaña Valencia, Spain 30-Apr
Monastrell Alicante, Spain 2-May
Tailor N.Y., N.Y. 24-Nov
Coi San Francisco, CA. 16-Oct
Canteen San Francisco, CA. 18-Oct
Kokkari Estiatorio San Francisco, CA. 15-Oct
The Dining Room at the RC San Francisco, CA. 17-Oct
El Celler de Can Roca Girona, Spain 3-May
Las Machitas Cevicheria 20-Feb Cusco, Peru

Likewise, I doubt I will top 2007 any time soon. My list, in order of preference,

The French Laundry, Yountville, CA

Extebarri, Axpe, Spain

Martin Berasetegui, Lasarte, Spain

Arzak, San Sebastian, Spain

Guy Savoy, Las Vegas, NV

Alex, Las Vegas, NV,

Lotus of Siam, Las Vegas, NV

El Bulli, Roses, Spain

Can Fabes, San Celoni, Spain

Manresa, Los Gatos, CA

Hispania, Arenys de Mar, Spain

The Modern, New York, NY

Joel Robuchon at The Mansion, Las Vegas, NV

Alkimia, Barcelona, Spain

Gaig, Barcelona, Spain

Aligue, Marnresa, Spain

Soto, New York, NY

Osteria del Circo (menu prepared by Luciano Zazzeri of La Pineta, Maremma, Italy)

Love the lists....thanks to all:

Here is ours......

1) Akelarre Donostia January

2 Arzak Donostia January

3 Andra Mari Galdakao January

4 Extebarri Axpe January

5 Manresa Los Gatos (CA) April and August

6 WD-50 NYC February and November

7 Rafa's Roses, January

And, I have to mention the bars......

8 Bar Inopia, Barcelona January

9 Alona Berri, Donostia January, February

10 Cuchara San Telmo, Donostia, January, February

Mugaritz and Can Fabres.....sorry, guys. La Lllar outside Roses....omigod. You all know my feelings about Carles A in Barca.

There are so many variables we all take into consideration, our lists are more reflection of our selves than the places, necessarily......but this year I will definitely check out the favorites that consistently float to the top of the lists.

No one has mentioned El Poblet......I know that was David Kinch's favorite of last year.

Happy New Year ....and New Dining to all,

Mike and Amanda

Our trips are starting to center more around restaurants than other endeavors. We use to kayak in Maine and then go out to dinner. Now we seem to dine in Maine and kayak between dinners - hence the repeat trips to Arrows. I love these lists since it gives a thermometer reading of which restaurants are hot

1. The Whitney (Detroit)- My wedding

2. Lafayette Coney Island (Detroit)- 1am post wedding dinner

3. Alinea (chicago) Birthday Dinner

4. Vetri (Philadelphia) Best Italian I've ever had

5. Grammercy Tavern (ny)- Birthday Lunch- Hands down best lunch I've ever had, probably top 5 meals

6. Moto (chicago)

7. Davio's (philadelphia) Dinner for my last day

8. Violet Hour (Chicago) I figure liquid meals should count since they're often more fun anyway

9. Snackbar (philadelphia)

10. Amada (philadelphia)

11. Tru (chicago)

12. Balthazar (ny) Brunch for parent's birthday

13. Room For Dessert (ny)

14. Blackbird (chicago)

Obviously I've factored in context (and service) in this list, which most likely is the only one in which Lafayette beats Alinea

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

Rather than a list of my top restaurant meals of 2007, I'm going to give just one restaurant that without a doubt was at the top-Guy Savoy Las Vegas.

(You can see photos and my review in the Guy Savoy thread Southwest and Western States Restaurant forums).

The setting-a private dinner for about 35 guests to celebrate the one year anniversary of Guy Savoy at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. The dinner was sponsored by Bon Apetit Magazine as one of the signature events of their Las Vegas Food and Wine Focus.

The guest list was memorable-Chef Savoy in the kitchens, Frank Savoy in the dining room and the President of Caesar's there to present the staff with an anniversary cake.

My best dish for 2007 was served that night-one simple little bite of foie gras on toast that was served on silver skewers as we sipped vintage Rose' champagne.

One might wonder how 4 simple ingredients can give one such pleasure. After that night in May, I no longer wonder why-foie gras, black truffle, butter and brioche in the hands of a Master-the best of 2007.

My most cherished photo of 2007:

gallery_41580_4407_19822.jpg

My list will in no way compare to those above--but coming out of a conversation with my husband, our top meals: L'Espalier, wild game tasting menu at Picholine, first dinner at EMP under Daniel Humm. Of course Thanksgiving dinner in the Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica, complete with Turkey, stuffing, and all the sides also ranks up there!

I don't think this should be viewed as a competition, but rather a celebration of the marvelous meals we have had in restaurants with recognition of those restaurants, destination or neighborhood, that pleased us the most.

Twitter - @docsconz

I love this thread!! But it is going to cost me I think.

Have a conference at Caesar's Palace January 20th, I will try to get into Guy Savoy's place. I am arriving Sunday evening and leaving Wednesday. I noticed on his website that they are closed Monday and Tuesday. Guess it will be Sunday dinner in the bubble hopefully.

Some stand-out meal moments from 2007, not always to do with food:

Lunch in Jean-Georges (NY), followed by a stroll around Central Park accompanied by a tremendous sense of well-being, and a narrow escape in Tiffany's when a moment of clarity shone through the warm fuzzy glow.

Two visits to Momofuku Ssam (NY), one in the company of some fellow eGulleteers, where I ate some things that I still talk about and fantasise about. Brussels Sprouts anyone?

A truffle tasting menu 2 weeks ago at Thornton's (Dublin) where I found myself uttering, for the first time in my life, that I really couldn't face any more truffles.

Dinner al fresco at the 1770 House (East Hampton), where minimal expectations were hugely exceeded, and Hazel got to see fireflies for the first time.

Repeated trips to Mint (Dublin) where I continue to be blown away by the flavour, invention and beauty of the food. Roasted Langoustine with veal mince macaroni, truffle dressing and poached egg yolk is one of the finest dishes I've eaten this year. I hope we'll be back to help them celebrate their first Michelin star in a couple of weeks.

Dinner in Nick and Toni's (East Hampton) in August, which had nothing whatsoever to do with the food, but was cool simply because we rang at 5 looking for a table at 8, and instead of being laughed at, discovered that Hazel's Dad knew the hostess's Uncle in the west of Ireland many moons ago. They found us an 8pm table -- awesome!

A bite of somebody else's hot-dog in Please Don't Tell (NY) might allow its inclusion on this list. Walking through the phone booth was a fantastic experience, exceeded only be re-emerging from the phone booth hours later, and seeing the looks on the faces of the uninitiated in the hot-dog joint.

Highlight meal of the year is, without a doubt, dinner at Louis XV in Monaco, hours after I proposed to my now fiancée. We were both on cloud 9 and I can hardly remember what we ate, but it was just a perfect evening on every level. An experience to truly savour.

As a number of these posts including my own demonstrate, context is so important in determining the impact of a particular meal. Of course. the best restaurants can create their own context.

Twitter - @docsconz