• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stop and Shop Seafood Department

I wanted some nice lobsters for NYE dinner. I am currently working on the back side of Mahwah and wanted to pick a nice neighborhood to buy them hoping for a store with good turnover.

I headed straight for the Stop and Shop in Wyckoff, grabbed a cart walked to the back of the store and...umm ...umm what is that freezer case doing sitting where the seafood dept was?

Abandon cart and drive to Franklin Lakes Stop and Shop. Grab a cart and walk top the back of the store and there it is again a case of frozen fish, ahem.

Drive to Pompton Lakes A&P find parking at the far end of the lot walk, to the back of the store (no carts left) Finally my little beasties are there with a full service seafood dept and a line forming behind me

The real question is where else has Stop and Shop pulled the plug as it were?

I know for sure no seafood counter in Waldwick, Wyckoff, Franklin Lakes and Butler.

Early December the Wanaque store still had a meager one but I dont go there anymore :angry:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I have noticed the same thing. It is almost as if they have changed their approach to seafood. There has been a definite drop in the number of seafood items offered in the store near where I work in CT. They still have a fish counter, but the display is more ice that anything else, lately. Then Stop & Shop opened a new store in a nearby town and like you say, no fish counter whatsoever. They just had preportioned fish in a little area devoted to seafood. It is as if they have given up on the concept. I fully expect the fish counter to go away in the older store at some point. I thought they had made great strides in the past few years offering pretty fresh fish. I guess they were not getting the profit margin they were looking for.

HC

it seems they took all seafood sections out of all the north jersey stop and shops. i asked the sparta store manager and he said that they didn't have enough turnover and were losing money on the department so went to just stocking prepackaged things - salmon, crab,etc. and had a few prepacked pieces. luckily there is a free standing seafood store in town so that is where most everyone goes.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We lost our seafood counter up here in Rhinebeck NY...not that it matters, since I always go to Adams in Kingston anyway....

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Having a nice seafood counter is tough...the West Milford Shoprite is always fully stocked and looks good but someone from Deli has to come serve you...I want a dedicated fish guy

The Oakland Shoprite's counter is always full and busy but...it smells fishy. A&P it will be for me, for now

And Eric (weinerman) I spend my days conivincing paper not jam, in the backside of Mahwah

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association