• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Four Hour Stopover in Albuquerque

I'm heading off later next week to New Mexico. I have an hour and a half in the Chicago airport, and I know I can amuse myself there, but I have four hours in Albuquerque and would love to make the best use of that time.

So what suggestions do you have for a whirlwind in Albuquerque? Maybe some quick local fare? A place to shop for ingedients?

the best quick local food I know there ..and I have eaten a LOT of local food in Albuquerque that is for sure..I still go back to Duran's Pharmacy for green chile stew and home made tortillas each and every time I am in town I have to have lunch there at least but more often two or three times ..

the address is 1815 Central Ave. NW, Albuquerque, NM, 87104

oh and any regular grocery stores in the area including Costco (my sister swears by the Walmart but I have yet to go that far when I go there :raz: ) has roasted green chile frozen and dried green chile ..blue corn, blue corn meal, blue corn tortillas ..blue corn muffin mix ...whatever...frozen and dried posole, chico corn, the best pintos on the planet are locally grown in New Mexico and of course all kinds of local red chile

you dont need to hit specialty stores the selection of local food at the grocery stores is fantastic ...and if you do opt for the specialty food stores the prices are going to be double that of a grocer

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

the best quick local food I know there ..and I have eaten a LOT of local  food in Albuquerque that is for sure..I still go back to Duran's Pharmacy for green chile stew and home made tortillas each and every time I am in town I have to have lunch there at least but more often two or three times  ..

the address is  1815 Central Ave. NW, Albuquerque, NM, 87104

oh and any regular grocery stores in the area including Costco (my sister swears by the Walmart but I have yet to go that far when I go there  :raz: ) has roasted green chile frozen and dried green chile ..blue corn, blue corn meal, blue corn tortillas ..blue corn muffin mix ...whatever...frozen and dried posole, chico corn, the best pintos on the planet are locally grown in New Mexico and  of course all kinds of local red chile

you dont need to hit specialty stores the selection of local food at the grocery stores is fantastic ...and if you do opt for the specialty food stores  the prices are going to be double that of a grocer

I was thinking about Costco - I notice it's close to the airport - and I always find it interesting to check out Costcos when I travel and see what local stuff they have.

Love green chili stew - I'll mapquest Duran's for sure.

We'll second Duran's pharmacy for a quick lunch - my wife and I have dined there on our somewhat frequent trips to Albuquerque. However, my vote for food at Duran's is the Carne Adovada - cooked in red chile.

Not to be discounted is the place in the airport (forget the name) that sells the green chile chicken soup - very good and great airport food. It's past security and across the way from the Baskin Robbins.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm one of the Albuquerqueans that have never warmed up to Duran's.... so when I need red chile I have to go to Mary & Tito's on 4th.

Mary & Tito's Cafe

They unfortunately have limited hours, mostly afternoon and some evenings. For morning and lunch, Cecilia's is awesome and right in downtown.

Cecilia's review

Supplies? Costco will work, but its too bad the farmer's markets are over.

Oh, and also in that part of town is some kick-butt tamales: El Modelo

Good luck!

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Not to be discounted is the place in the airport (forget the name) that sells the green chile chicken soup - very good and great airport food. It's past security and across the way from the Baskin Robbins.

I think that might be Garduono's. I haven't eaten at that location, but when I fly in there my sister meets me and we usually stop to have a margarita.

I think that might be Garduono's. I haven't eaten at that location, but when I fly in there my sister meets me and we usually stop to have a margarita.

While Garduno's is actually good and not dumbed down for the location, the place with the green chile chicken soup is called:

Comida Buena Gourmet Deli and Bakery

...they are located in the center of the airport between the two 'concourses'. I love our tiny airport with its 12 gates. :biggrin:

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

I'm one of the Albuquerqueans that have never warmed up to Duran's.... so when I need red chile I have to go to Mary & Tito's on 4th. 

Mary & Tito's Cafe

They unfortunately have limited hours, mostly afternoon and some evenings.  For morning and lunch, Cecilia's is awesome and right in downtown.

Cecilia's review

Supplies?  Costco will work, but its too bad the farmer's markets are over.  

Oh, and also in that part of town is some kick-butt tamales:  El Modelo

Good luck!

I humble to your wisdom on this one ..but really I love Durans ..

I forgot about Cecilia's that would be perfect actually ...I missed going this year it two of my kids were born in Santa Fe and have aunties in Alb ..so we get the best of both worlds I think there is actually a lot of very good food to be had ..the tamales are out of this world

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

My problem is not going to be how to use up four hours, it's going to be how to fit all these places into four hours!!!

I'm getting really hungry just thinking about all the great food I'm going to eat in NM. Interesting how things taste hot the first day, then you don't even notice the heat by the end of the week.

While Garduno's is actually good and not dumbed down for the location, the place with the green chile chicken soup is called:

Comida Buena Gourmet Deli and Bakery

...they are located in the center of the airport between the two 'concourses'.  I love our tiny airport with its 12 gates.  :biggrin:

That's the place - just had some soup a few weeks ago.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I humble to your wisdom on this one ..but really I love Durans ..

I forgot about Cecilia's that would be perfect actually ...I missed going this year it two of my kids were born in Santa Fe and have aunties in Alb ..so we get the best of both worlds I think there is actually a lot of very good food to be had ..the tamales are out of this world

My wisdom is not on the block here, merely my preference for a rich lather of a red with bite like a rotweiler and not a speck of cumin or 'creaminess' in sight... :laugh:

Duran's red is certainly flavorful, but its not my favorite "style" of preparation.

Yeah, Cecilia's is finally getting a resurgence and some recognition - well deserved and kudos to them for sticking it out all this time.

My wisdom is not on the block here, merely my preference for a rich lather of a red with bite like a rotweiler and not a speck of cumin or 'creaminess' in sight...  :laugh:

Duran's red is certainly flavorful, but its not my favorite "style" of preparation.

Yeah, Cecilia's is finally getting a resurgence and some recognition - well deserved and kudos to them for sticking it out all this time.

Funny about the cumin! I get so chastised when I come to a NM kitchen and am allowed to make chile red or green ...the cumin is always an issue of contempt! I adore the stuff especially with green chile.....everyone who is "native" around me says to leave it out ...

that and the quantity of cilantro I put in my salsa always an issue!!!

what can I say I am from Rhode Island and live in Washington State! In spite of a lot of time spent in your amazing state I have yet to get my recipes "right" ..even my kids give me grief about the cumin ..but I love the flavor ...especially with a green chile lamb stew ...

Edited by gfron1 (log)

Piglet