• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Menu ideas needed by overly ambitious mom

MargyB

Hi everyone,

In a few weeks, I'm giving a Bon Voyage party for my daughter who is going on a 4 month college trip to 14 ports of call. In a moment of insanity, I said that I'd make one dish from all 14 countries that she'll be visiting. I have about 1/2 of the menu determined, but I'm having trouble coming up with a few of the items. I'd prefer dishes that could be prepared ahead of time and that are "typical" for that region. Here are the countries that I don't have dishes figured out for yet: (I'm short on salads/vegetable dishes)

-Port Louis, Mauritius

-Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

-Shanghai, China

-Puntarenas, Costa Rica

-Miami, Florida (Key Lime Pie maybe?)

Here are the dishes I have penciled in:

-Nassua, Bahamas...............Pigeon Peas & rice

-San Juan, Puerto Rice.........Fried Plantains

-Salvador, Brazil..................Bahian Style Shrimp

-Cape Town, South Africa.....Peri Peri Sauce/Beer

-Channai, India...................Samosas (from local Indian market)

-Penang, Malaysia...............Garlic Noodles

-Hong Kong........................Har Gao (from local asian market)

-Kobe, Japan......................Sushi (from local sushi restaurant)

-Honolulu, Hawaii................Fresh Tropical fruit, pineapple etc

Any input/commentary is welcome!

thanks so much,

Margy

I'm not so sure key lime pie goes with Miami (as opposed to the Keys and the grove areas) although I could be wrong about that. What about Cuban sandwiches?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

How about fresh spring rolls (sometimes called salad rolls) for Vietnam?  It uses a lot of fresh vegetables, but is easy to eat.

I had thought about spring rolls....you're right, they would be a good salad type item. I can buy those freshly made here in the bay area also!

margy

I'm not so sure key lime pie goes with Miami (as opposed to the Keys and the grove areas) although I could be wrong about that.  What about Cuban sandwiches?

I knew I was "pushing it" with relating key lime pie to Miami.....but since I didn't have any desserts, I thought I'd give it a shot! I haven't made Cuban sandwiches before, but I know this group (20 somethings) would probably love them!

I think I'll go with the fresh fruit for dessert and maybe have a cake.

margy