• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FoodTV.com Top 100 Recipes of 2007

jsmeeker

The end of the year always brings lists that details the best (and worst) of the year. FoodTV's website is no exception. They have their list of the top 100 recipes for 2007.

So, what do you think is number one? I've already seen the list, so I know. I'll provide the link in a little bit, in an attempt to encourage guessing and without spoiling the answer for people who want to play along.

(I don't see where they state how it was measured, but I'll assume it was based on the number of requests/downloads of the course of the year.)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I'm having trouble guessing.

Since I am fluent in pastry I first thought of cheesecake but surely it's a savory item. But which one?

Meatloaf?

Naw.

Hmm

I mean I think it's probably a main course but it could be an appetizer or a side or green bean casserole. Maybe stuffing? This is too hard I gotta go peak. Before I go I bet it's turkey. How to prepare a turkey.

I'll go ahead and reveal

here is the page

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/rc_top2007

Number one is Creamy Macaroni and Cheese. (from Paula Deen) #2 is baked macaroni and cheese (from Alton Brown).

K8Memphis' guesses were pretty good. Turkey, meatloaf and stuffing were all in the top 10.

It's a pretty interesting list of food items. I guess this is what a lot of people are eating.

Looks like a list of comfort foods to me.

yeah.. It is. And really, this is sorta kinda the thing I like to cook at home, too. (well, not mac and cheese, and not casseroles) fancy, fussy stuff is for restaurants. :)

I'm surprised that mac & cheese takes number one and two. Mac and cheese to me is lunch or after shcool snack food not any kind of main course or celebration food. Interesting. And it's a so no brainer to make even to a baker. That would be the last recipe I would ever look up in my whole life and mac & cheese took the two top spots. Surprising and incredible.

I'm surprised that mac & cheese takes number one and  two. Mac and cheese to me is lunch or after shcool snack food not any kind of main course or celebration food. Interesting. And it's a so no brainer to make even to a baker. That would be the last recipe I would ever look up in my whole life and mac & cheese took the two top spots. Surprising and incredible.

Other mac and cheese recipes take positions 62 and 96 in the Top Hundred.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

the top 100 doesn't seem to be limited to main dishes or any thing like that.

I know Mac and Cheese is really popular. It's probably the most popular dish that I just don't ever eat. Never had it growing up. Don't eat it now. I guess that in a way, it's good to see something that a lot of people would normally make from a box ranked so high. I suppose it means people really are doing real cooking.

I completely understand why mac and cheese is #1. You can serve it at any dinner except the most fancy (it is a traditional holiday side for many Southern and African American families) and I have yet to find exactly the recipe that I want. I try new ones all the time and have for 30 years and still don't get what I really want. Nothing fancy - funky, interesting cheeses are fantastic, but NOT what I want in my mac and cheese. Creamy, moist, deeply cheesy. I have actually tried the Paula Deen recipe and that's not it, either :sad: !

It is an interesting list - many of the dishes are what I actually make and sometimes hesitate to post about on eGullet :wink: !

Kim

I completely understand why mac and cheese is #1.  You can serve it at any dinner except the most fancy (it is a traditional holiday side for many Southern and African American families) and I have yet to find exactly the recipe that I want.  I try new ones all the time and have for 30 years and still don't get what I really want.  Nothing fancy - funky, interesting cheeses are fantastic, but NOT what I want in my mac and cheese.  Creamy, moist, deeply cheesy.  I have actually tried the Paula Deen recipe and that's not it, either  :sad: !

It is an interesting list - many of the dishes are what I actually make and sometimes hesitate to post about on eGullet  :wink: !

Kim

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the results you were looking for Kim with the Paula Deen recipe. I recently made it, with just a little tweaking, and it was delicious and came very close to the best mac and cheese I ever had, eaten years ago and made by a chef at a little breakfast/lunch carryout in DC who of course wouldn't part with his recipe.

I'm not surprised that mac and cheese is at the top of the list and that it is a list of mostly comfort foods.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I completely understand why mac and cheese is #1.  You can serve it at any dinner except the most fancy (it is a traditional holiday side for many Southern and African American families) and I have yet to find exactly the recipe that I want.  I try new ones all the time and have for 30 years and still don't get what I really want.  Nothing fancy - funky, interesting cheeses are fantastic, but NOT what I want in my mac and cheese.  Creamy, moist, deeply cheesy.  I have actually tried the Paula Deen recipe and that's not it, either  :sad: !

It is an interesting list - many of the dishes are what I actually make and sometimes hesitate to post about on eGullet  :wink: !

Kim

Kim, have you tried the Best Potluck Dinner Mac and Cheese recipe from Cook's Country? It definitely fits your criteria of "creamy, moist, deeply cheesy". :biggrin:

I sometimes make a really, really decadent, extra-rich mac and cheese for dinner parties (especially if kids are coming!) and it's always a hit. It's definitely not something i eat very often mainly because it's a calorically ridiculous food.

I totally understand why, for the holidays, people would be searching for something popular and ultra-indulgent.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a mac and cheese RESTAURANT this weekend (posted about it in the NY forum), and the food was off the fuckin RICHTER.

One of the posters said she would try to make some of the dishes at home until she was able to make it there, and I think it would be fun to try some when I go to my grandmother's in Philly since that is one of her most famous dishes! I'm looking for a be all and end all recipe myself. This is a great list of ideas though, not your ordinary mac for sure!

Smacnyc.com/what.html