• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

to show or not to show?

as the year draws to a close, it looks like i have to make changes to my booking policy and wondered if any body out there in restaurant world had hit on the most fair way to approach this from both the client and the restaurant, at present we take a reservation with a contact number which we then confirm the week of the booking, though as a small restaurant its very expensive to us if we have no shows or very late cancellations, 22 in the past 12 days of service with every reason given from death to jungle disease, do the credit card deposits really work? i hoped to avoid this formal approach but after my loss in takings, even saturday just passed 4 noshows makes the difference of breaking even or not

appreciate any advice on the subject marc.

bummer, i can't believe that.

I am always dying to get a table at yours and have trouble getting in!

I have stayed in hotels where they insist on the credit card thing and I think you just accept it as part of life now, so maybe it should apply to restaurants.

We faced a table of 12 not showing up on our first Saturday open, and then (THEN!) discussed doing the credit card deposit thing. But I don't think young restuarants can get away with it. Yes, if you're rammed out, you have every right to do so, but if you're trying to appeal to people...

Luckily some footballers from Blackburn turned up to fill the table. And very good tippers they were too. Or so my waiters tell me from Mauritius.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

do the credit card thing. Ive never NOT gone to a restaurant because of it.... It only really turns off the kind of people who would just as soon not show up anyway...just be sure to make it very clear that their card will NOT be charged...that its just for security purposes....and that they can cancel the reservation any time up to x hours....

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.