• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big chef's knife vs. small one

Dianabanana

15 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I abandoned the idea of a 5" chef knife and this afternoon ordered an 8" (actual cutting edge length 7.75") from New West:

Congratulations.

Reading the ad copy I was almost convinced until I bumped into this sentence:

Also, this is the only kitchen knife to make the Kessel Run in under 12 par-secs.”

I am afraid it would get away from me every single time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Congratulations.

Reading the ad copy I was almost convinced until I bumped into this sentence:

Also, this is the only kitchen knife to make the Kessel Run in under 12 par-secs.”

I am afraid it would get away from me every single time. 

Han sliced first.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 11 months later...

That's a very broad question. Maybe start a thread on r/chefknives on Reddit or the Kitchen Knife Forums. Both have a standard survey to get a sense of what you're asking for and then you'll get tons of answers.

Hammered or tsuchime knives are not typically damascus or "33+ layers" . I think Saji has a line that's both layered and has a hammered finish, but the layering is kind of "meh" and the knife is probably outside of your intended budget at like $400+. Like here's a k-tip 240 gyuto from him https://chefknivesjapan.com/products/saji-takeshi-srs13-hammered-damascus-kiritsuke-gyuto-240mm-ironwood . His knives tend to have a thicker grind and to cut less well through denser things like carrots, potatoes, or winter squash.

Anyway, I'd probably focus less on getting something with damascus finish and instead focus on buying from a known blacksmith or brand that has a good reputation for making things that cut well. There's all kinds of blinged out crappy knives that try to sell you with their razzle dazzle, 100+ layers, and stupid resin handle. Avoid those things like the plague. 

• Like 3

r/chefknives is closed due to reddit stupidity

It would be good to post location when asking about purchases. My recommendations in Australia might not help you.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.