• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jamón Iberico in Philly!

Let me start by saying the only thing I know about this subject is what I have read on this thread, a few others throughout eGullet, and what I Googled, but it seems logical to ask that if this product is already pulling down bellota prices, what will the actual bellota be priced at?

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Let me start by saying the only thing I know about this subject is what I have read on this thread, a few others throughout eGullet, and what I Googled, but it seems logical to ask that if this product is already pulling down bellota prices, what will the actual bellota be priced at?

On La Tienda, (roughly) $162/lb, around $1400 for a whole 8.5lb boneless ham - assuming the dollar does not fall further: they warn the final bill may be higher if it does.

Even assuming a premium for the bonelessness (and another because it's La Tienda, and that's just how they roll), the bellota price should still be considerably higher than the $99 which is being charged around town right now. Which I presume is for garden-variety jamon Iberico.

On La Tienda, (roughly) $162/lb, around $1400 for a whole 8.5lb boneless ham - assuming the dollar does not fall further: they warn the final bill may be higher if it does.

if you buy the bone-in ham, the price drops to $96/lb. look at the savings -- you can't afford NOT to buy one!

Oy. I deserve some kind of humanitarian award for my heroic efforts this afternoon trying to convince Di Bruno's in the Italian market that they do not, in fact, have iberico bellota ham.

I called the Italian market location this afternoon and was told that they had bellota. I expressed my skepticism, and was assured that they had it.

So I hopped in my car and drove over. When I arrived I met the guy I had spoken with over the phone. I asked if they could show me the packaging for the ham, which would say 'bellota' on it if it was, in fact, bellota. They said that they were down to their last ham and had thrown out the packaging.

I have a PDA phone that has a web browser on it. I looked up La Tienda's phone number (they were instrumental in bringing iberico to the US and would know if anyone here had it). I spoke to a very nice woman who assured me that nobody in the US had iberico bellota ham.

I told the Di Bruno's people this and they insisted that Tienda was mistaken -- they said that they got several of only 30 bellota hams imported into the US.

I told them that if they could prove to me that they had bellota, I would buy the entirety of the rest of their ham.

They started making phone calls to the other Di Bruno's and to other Di Bruno's people... they were told by several people that it was, in fact, bellota.

I should say that the Di Bruno's people were growing increasingly hostile. They were convinced that I was wrong, and they seemed to have no interest in offering solid proof as to what product they had.

I then looked up Fermin USA on my phone, the sole importer of the only iberico product able to be imported into the US. They said that there was no possibility that anyone in the US had iberico bellota ham.

I told the Di Bruno's people this. They were unconvinced.

At this point they were pretty much sick of dealing with me. One employee said, 'If you don't want the ham, then don't buy it', basically suggesting that I get lost.

I left, and called Fermin USA again from my car. I spoke to a woman who had fulfilled Di Bruno's orders, and she confirmed that it wasn't bellota.

Several minutes later I got a call from Scott Case at the Rittenhouse Di Bruno's confirming that they do not, in fact, have bellota, and that the 9th St location was mistaken.

This was an unfortunate experience. It goes without saying that Di Bruno's should know their product better (especially when it's selling for $100/lb). And they should also be open to the possibility that they're wrong when there's evidence mounting that they are.

Incidentally, I later bought some iberico ham from the Rittenhouse location, and the label says 'acorn fed'.

Anyone want to conduct a little test and call up the 9th St location and ask if they have bellota ham?

I realize now that I should have said to the Di Bruno's people, if you're wrong, and it's not what you say it is, I get it for free. :smile:

Edited by dagordon (log)

Incidentally, I later bought some iberico ham from the Rittenhouse location, and the label says 'acorn fed'.

Which it is, most likely. Just not free-range, and it's probable some of the other standards aren't met either. But, as I understand it, they incorporate acorns into the diet of all the Iberico-bound swine.

Which it is, most likely. Just not free-range, and it's probable some of the other standards aren't met either. But, as I understand it, they incorporate acorns into the diet of all the Iberico-bound swine.

Jamon iberico de pienso isn't fed any acorns.

The Fermin product is apparently jamon de recebo (as opposed to jamon de pienso) so does have some acorns in the feed, but calling an iberico product 'acorn-fed', to most informed people, will just mean bellota. That is, something doesn't qualify qualify as 'acorn-fed' if there are some acorns thrown in with regular cereal feed, just as something doesn't qualify as 'grass-fed' if there is some grass thrown in with regular feed.

At the very best calling a non-bellota product 'acorn-fed' is highly misleading.

Edited by dagordon (log)

Although Philadelphia's local ordinance allowing you to obtain for free any food item (with a few exceptions) for which the checkout scanner charges more than the shelf price (or price marked on the item) would not at first seem apply in this instance, maybe it does! I mean, if it's not the product the shelf tag or package says it is, wouldn't that count? Why not try that, dagordon?

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 1 month later...

dagordon, i just walked past dibruno's (didnt have time to stop in) and they have a big sign out front declaring "bellota" acorn fed!! the price is now $130/lb. So......do we think this is the real deal? I dont have the patience you have to get to the bottom of this!

"Squeezle? What's a squeezle?"

-A Bourdain

dagordon, i just walked past dibruno's (didnt have time to stop in) and they have a big sign out front declaring "bellota" acorn fed!!  the price is now $130/lb.  So......do we think this is the real deal?  I dont have the patience you have to get to the bottom of this!

AFAIK Di Bruno's has iberico bellota paleta, which is shoulder that's cured like the jamon, and which is superb, assuming they slice it properly. But still no bellota jamon.

BTW, if you do spring for this, you want to get it hand sliced. (I had to convince the Di Bruno's guy to do this for me, and he ended up doing a better job than the guy at Dean and Deluca).

Good idea if the store you are buying from actually has any experiencing slicing it. I was just happy to find it in town in a sort of deli slash specialty foods shop. When I suggested they slice it by hand they pretty much said no. Said their expensive special prosciutto machine was very good at cutting it.

FWIW, I was in DiBruno's 9th Street today and tried a sample of what they are calling iberico bellota, which they are selling for $130/lb. I must say, whether or not it's the real deal -- and I assume from what I've read in this thread that it is not the true bellota -- it has the most extraordinary, melt in your mouth flavor I have ever tasted in a ham.

I treated myself to a quarter pound ... and I'm NOT sharing because my DH has such a bad cold he wouldn't be able to taste it anyway. :rolleyes: Maybe when he's well I'll go get some more.

It is THAT good.

Barb

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict

Ha, i was in line in front of Barb (nice to meet you - we were the ones next to you with the baby) and that was some GOOD ham. we only splurged on a few slices. as good as it is, i just cant justify that any ham is worth $120/pound

i must say that i cant get out of dibrunos without dropping major coin anymore. all the cheeses seem to be close to $30/pound these days. that is dangerous to someone like myself who only knows 3 major food groups: cheese, cured pork products, and other

"Squeezle? What's a squeezle?"

-A Bourdain

Ha, i was in line in front of Barb (nice to meet you - we were the ones next to you with the baby)

And what an incredibly adorable baby he is!!! Nice to meet you, too!

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress....

Barb

Barb Cohan-Saavedra

Co-owner of Paloma Mexican Haute Cuisine, lawyer, jewelry designer, glass beadmaker, dessert-maker (I'm a lawyer who bakes, not a pastry chef), bookkeeper, payroll clerk and caffeine-addict