• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Darly"s Wine Bar, New Brunswick

Shmily

We were in New Brunswick for a 7 PM show last night (which was outstanding!!) and we read the NY Times review in the Jersey section about Daryl's Wine Bar..Carla Cook gave it an excellent...so we made reservations.the food itself was good...sweetbreads for $23 were outstanding...but the portions were the smallest I have ever seen...at least double would have been a fair sized entree...and this was on the other side of the menu away from the small dishes...the waiter was sweet, but had NO clue about either the food or the wine...our bill for 1 tiny dish we split ($7), 2 sweetbread "entrees" and coffee and 1 4 ounce glass and 1 6 ounce of the least expensive wine ( $16)..with tip was over $100 and we were starving (and we are small eaters). Just wanted to warn people...for us, this is NOT acceptable...and David Drake ought to be embarrassed!! :sad::sad:

I thought the whole place was very mediocre with the exception of the tuna tartare. Lots of misses, lots of things came out less interesting then you would think.. However, its good for the area considering the other options.. My parents enjoyed the fact that you can order wines in very small increments..

Edited by Daniel (log)

However, its good for the area considering the other options...

I suspect that this has a lot to do with all of the excitement over this place. New Brunswick has certainly changed for the MUCH MUCH better since I was at RU (I won't even tell you how long ago), but I think the city is still hurting for exciting new restaurants.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."