• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calphalon One non-stick

mcohen

does anybody own one and does it live up to your expectations?

i know calphalon has a good reputation for its nonstick, and i'm curious if this new technology has worked out all the kinks yet. one of the interesting things i noticed in its instructions is to first preheat the pan first, which is something you don't normally do with nonstick.

Are you talking about Calphalon One? It's a hard anodized pan with a coat of PTEE. You can't use it as non-stick. Its stickness is more like stainless steel. You will need to preheat the pan, oil it, heat it again, drop the meat, sear the meat untill it loose up by itself. If you try to fry a fish with this pan cold, you will have a 'fun' time clean it.

Are you talking about Calphalon One? It's a hard anodized pan with a coat of PTEE. You can't use it as non-stick. Its stickness is more like stainless steel. You will need to preheat the pan, oil it, heat it again, drop the meat, sear the meat untill it loose up by itself.

??? Calphalone One comes in two types, one that has a hard anodized interior and one that has a non-stick interior. I believe you're talking about is the one with the anodized interior. I have some of each and I find that the non-stick ones are some of the best nonstick pans I've used. The non-stick finish is very durable (they even advertise you can use metal utensils) and doesn't need to be oiled prior to cooking. Of course non-stick isn't good for everything and I've also got some of the anodized ones.

Yes, there are better lines of cookware but comparing cost, functionality and availability I think Calphalon One is one of the best.

Edited by MSRadell (log)

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

So its $120.00 for a nonstick frying pan with a fancy name on it...I get that part

What I dont get is why someone wouldn't just spend some portion of $90.00 to get to a restaurant supply store and buy a "professional" style non stick pan for $ 30.00 and keep whatever was left from the travel expense for food or more toys

and yes 3 years ago I bought at Restaurant Depot a 12 inch nonstick pan with a thick aluminum disk and good solid handle for $28.00, not a scratch or nick in it

carry on

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I have the crepe pan ... the only reason I got it is that it was on closeout on Amazon a while ago for $26 ... about a buck cheaper than the commercial nonstick pan I was looking for.

It's fine. Exactly as good as, but no better than, any other heavy gauge nonstick pan. I expect it to last a while, but only because it gets used infrequently (just for crepes and certain delicate fish). And no one else uses it, so I can be sure it doesn't get used with metal utensiles or washed with abrasive scrub sponges.

It's nicely made, and prettier than the commercial pan I was planning to buy. But not $60 prettier. When it comes time to replace it, my budget will be the same. If I don't get lucky again and find something else like this on closeout, I'll happily buy the commercial war horse.

I have no problem spending $$$ on pans in some cases, but not on anything disposable like nonstick pans.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

So its $120.00 for a nonstick frying pan with a fancy name on it...I get that part

What I dont get is why someone wouldn't just spend some portion of $90.00 to get to a restaurant supply store and buy a "professional" style non stick pan for $ 30.00 and keep whatever was left from the travel expense for food or more toys

and yes 3 years ago I bought at Restaurant Depot a 12 inch nonstick pan with a thick aluminum disk and good solid handle for $28.00, not a scratch or nick in it

carry on

tracey

I have some Calpahlon one non-stick that I got as part of a 2 for $50 package. (These packages are great if you don't have a Restaurant Depot nearby) I like it a lot, especially for the price. I wouldn't pay $120 for a non stick for any brand, I know it's going to scratch up over time!

carry on

tracey

Bloomingdales has the 12" Calphalon ONE nonstick fry pan on special now bundled with their glass lid for only $49.99. Their regular 12" fry pan has a helper handle, while this one does not. The glass lid also fits the All-Clad 12" fry pan very nicely which is an added bonus. They just had a 20% off sale so it costs only $39.99. A GREAT deal for the pan and lid which is the standard heavy Calphalon glass lid.