• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish Sauce

Stone

nice ref. article.  those arrow // darts got me confused a bit  ...

and when and where did they get the R.B.40 for that price ?

6.95 for 500 cc ?

Toots and I use Red Boat 40N, but neither of us can recall what we paid for it.  I'm thinking around $9.00, yet that seems high.  Is $6.95 a good price for you?

I was surprised to read the comments about Megachef, which the TheCulinaryLibrary thought was very good.  It was TCL's comments that got me searching, and I was surprised to read that the sauce had added sugar, etc.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

the only place around BOS that sells R.B.40 is whole foods.  it came in a 250 bottle, cant recall the exact price as i rarely go there.

went just for this

I think it was around $ 10 or maybe even more.  but ... its almost a lifetime supply

guess SurLaTable has it for 8.

Here's the pricing (exclusive of shipping) if you buy Red Boat directly from the producer.

My local Chinese grocery has the 40ºN 500mL bottles available - I don't remember exactly what they are charging but I think something in the 7-9 buck region seems about right if I remember correctly.  (I'm sure they get "wholesale/retail" pricing FWIW too)  My most recent purchases (i have done it several times) were from the Red Boat online website for these 500 mL bottles, plural.  Yes, my personal consumption of fish sauce, although not excessive, would certainly be more than a single bottle lasting a lifetime. :-) 

I would like to ask a stupid question: what is the difference between 40N and 50N? Or a better question might be, what do those numbers represent?

Edited to fix spelling

Edited by ElsieD (log)

Huh.  I can't recall seeing "Degrees" used as a measure of chemical concentration before. :huh: What's wrong with %, ppm, ug/L?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Shel_B, unfortunately can't get Blis in Oz but I hear it's great. Megachef does have added sugar, 2%sugar, 1%fructose, its not noticably sweet, but I love it. I agree though, Red Boat is consistently reviewed as the best and doesn't have added sugar.

ElsieD, The strength of its natural protein or Umami taste, is graded by numbers which indicate the nitrogen content per litre. When a bottles is labelled °N/1L, it indicates the concentration of fish protein in each drop. The higher the number the more fish protein, the bigger the Umami taste. That's why higher costs more.

43°N/1L =  highest protein, highest umami flavour, first extraction.

40, 30, 20 and 15°N/L, indicate subsequent extractions, after additional water(usually seawater) has been added.

43°N/1L =  highest protein, highest umami flavour, first extraction.

40, 30, 20 and 15°N/L, indicate subsequent extractions, after additional water(usually seawater) has been added.

FWIW, Red Boat has a 50°N, never tried it, can't ever recall seeing it except in the taste test that was linked above, likewise for New Town, which claims a 60°N

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

What about Padaek? Has anyone ever tasted it? I have some but I havent tried it yet.

Is it very strong?

I've had Padaek at this place in Tribeca when the guy's Lao sister cooks a secret menu some nights. It is unreal how tasty it is. I want to try making it!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/how-to-cook-lao-food-like-a-pro-mangez-avec-moi.html