• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYE for 10 in the snow

StanSherman

For New Years Eve we will be working with and cooking for a pyrotechnic crew doing a fireworks show in the snow. We will be setting up most of the day and maybe have an hour to prep before going back to work. We will be done about 10pm and want to serve something hot asap. There will be 9 guys and one gal. I have no idea what the kitchen will be like. It is a ski resort condo.

I have never met 8 of theses people so we have no idea of their food preferences. I have plenty of time for a couple of days before so cook ahead ideas may be the best.

The canning pantry is pretty well stocked with hundreds of jars from the garden:

Chutneys

Jams

Tomato soup

Pea soup

Green beans

Olives

Pickles

V8 juice

Grape juice

Stocks

Freezer has:

¼ of a Berkshire hog

Chickens

Turkey

For desert we have a good make ahead chocolate soufflé recipe that we have 3oz ramekins for.

Any good ideas? Thanks.

All that work outside in the snow, and the prospect of heading back out after dinner - I'm thinking a big kettle of chili.

Working from your ingredients, depending on the nature of the pea soup and whether the hog is smoked - A variation on Dutch Pea soup - The hog, the soup, and lots of crusty bread and butter.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I definitely agree with the idea of a big pot of chili! You can prepare it well ahead, it just gets better with time. It sticks to the ribs and lasts. You can keep it warm during the afternoon and evening so when they get a chance they can sneak in and grab a little bit while they warmup! Based on the contents of your freezer you could use some of the pork, chicken and Turkey in the chili, just be sure to make it RED! If it's white it's not chili!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I'd vote for both the chili and the soup, although I don't know if I'd do a bean soup if I were doing chili. Or a nice hearty stew, with loads of veggies and a thick sauce, one that's cooked for a while so its reduced and rich. If I were going the chili route, and wanted the soup, then I'd think like a minestrone, with veggies and pasta and beans. Some good bread on the side for both, cheese for both, some warm beverages and something to toast the New Year with and you'll be golden. But definately warm and thick. Stick to the ribs type stuff. And they taste better as they sit and simmer. Use the turkey for the chili and the pork or chicken for the soup or stew. Sounds good to me.

Just looked over your ingredients again.......how about a chicken stew with olives?

Tomato soup with roasted pork sandwiches?

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I think we're going to do a soup bar. Chili, Dutch split pea and tomato.

We're wondering if we shouldn't keep the chili without beans. For some reason it seems high altitude brings on more gas than normal. Really don't want nine guys sitting around scratching and farting too.

The Dutch split pea soup give me something to do with a trotter. There are a full set tin the freezer. We were going to do Zampone for NYE.

Edited by StanSherman (log)