• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Forgot How Good Bugles Were!

jvalentino

I have been caught-another Bugle addict!  

knew I liked you! :biggrin:

We need a secret handshake or password !!! :raz:

Since I've purchased at least one more bag :unsure: since the start of this thread can I be a member?

How about a thumb then forefinger lick followed by a snap then "mmm salty horns"?

Jeff

I'd never had a Bugle in my life until about a month ago. I say this with some certainty because I'm sure I would have remembered them if I had.

Salty, crunchy corny Paradise. So addictive I decided on the spot that Bugles would be a once a year treat. I fear their allure.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

The last time had a bugle was in 1975 plus or minus. My newly retired grandparents in Victoria, British Columbia always had a bowl of them on the table for card games.

Bugles are a strong memory food for me and having read this thread I am inspired to get a bag and take the plunge. Naturally, I'll report back.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 2 weeks later...

One of my hobbies is entering cooking contests. Bugles was one of the qualifying products for the Pillsbury Bake-off in 2006. I did a lot of experimenting with them, and found they make a yummy coating for chicken. Alas, I wasn't a finalist.

I think they are addictive, but I haven't had one since then.

My blog: Rah Cha Chow

One of my hobbies is entering cooking contests. Bugles was one of the qualifying products for the Pillsbury Bake-off in 2006. I did a lot of experimenting with them, and found they make a yummy coating for chicken. Alas, I wasn't a finalist.

Hey, that's a good idea!

Hey, that's a good idea!

Gee thanks ... I wish the folks at Pillsbury thought so!

The Bugles also made a really good garnish for a spicy cheesy chicken soup.

My blog: Rah Cha Chow

I LOVE bugles, always have, and probably always will. I loved them as a child, teen, young woman. I don't eat them very often tho. I'm trying to reduce my size (down 52 lbs - YAAAAY!) and Bugles are loaded with fat and salt. Every once in a while a bag will stare me down and I'll be hard pressed to buy it and take it home with me. Taunting little buggers!

:wub:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

• 3 weeks later...

Nobody has mentioned this.

I can't believe I was the only kid that loved sticking these crunchy, corny, claws on the ends of each of my ten fingers and then ate them one by one.

It was THE proper way to eat them.

They are a fond memory as I haven't eaten them in ages. But then again, I haven't seen them on the shelves in my area.

Edited by Susie Q (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried the caramel coated Bugles?  Corn+Fat+Salt+Sugar= YUM YUM

LOL

They're on my list!

Three little words.

To. Die. For.

OMG! I discovered them a couple of weeks ago when they showed up in the snack machine at work (it's right next to The Wheel of Death).

I'm not a huge caramel fan, but there's something about these. For a week there I was buying two a day. That's when I realized I had a problem.

Hi, I'm Virginia. ("Hi, Virginia!") And I'm a caramel-Bugles-aholic.

Edited to correct stupid spelling and punctuation mistakes. Because I'm a technical writer, they piss me off. :raz:

Edited by crinoidgirl (log)

V

• 1 year later...

Way back when, Bugles used to packaged in a foiley thingee in a box.

DH had a hankering for them, so I bought them. Never mind that I had to search, because they are no longer in a box.

They taste as good as ever, but there's a major difference from Way Back Then. They are narrower. Way Back When, one of the thrills of bugles was that you could put them on all of your fingers (the wide end was "round" enough) and you could eat them off your fingers.

Like I said, they taste as good as ever, but the fact that I can't eat them off my fingertips is disappointing. Although we haven't made it to the bottom of the bag, I'd have to think there's more broker in the bag than in the foiley thingee in the box.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

They taste as good as ever, but there's a major difference from Way Back Then.  They are narrower.  Way Back When, one of the thrills of bugles was that you could put them on all of your fingers (the wide end was "round" enough) and you could eat them off your fingers.

Like I said, they taste as good as ever, but the fact that I can't eat them off my fingertips is disappointing.  Although we haven't made it to the bottom of the bag, I'd have to think there's more broker in the bag than in the foiley thingee in the box.

:huh: Gee, I thought I had large hands...but I can still wear Bugles! :cool:

I can only stand their saltiness in this hot weather, though.

LOL

They're on my list!

Three little words.

To. Die. For.

OK, now try dipping those in softened good unsalted butter. Prepare to die all over again. Then again and again.... :wub:

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

• 1 year later...

LOL

They're on my list!

Three little words.

To. Die. For.

OK, now try dipping those in softened good unsalted butter. Prepare to die all over again. Then again and again.... :wub:

I was looking to play with combining chocolate with something crunchy and salty when I found these. They're good by themselves, but pipe some chocolate into them let it cool and they're over the top. I think I'm going to get pressed into service the next time my wife needs to take food to the office for a birthday or something.

But I also found out that there's a chocolate and peanut butter version. I just tried these. Replace the little dab of caramel with a little dab of peanut butter, and the sugar coating with a very thinly sprayed chocolate coating. Pretty good, but not as successful, IMHO. The sprayed on chocolate coating gives them a mouth feel that's, well, dusty. Plus, it creates a barrier between the tongue and the salt.

I've been having a bugles craving ever since I found out they aren't available in Canada anymore.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Ihave fond memories of Bugles and Hockey Night in Canada...wearing them on the ends of my fingers like claws. Ah the 70's.

I live and work close to the border...we can't get Bugles in Canada anymore, but they have a whole shelf of them at the Lynden Safeway :smile: They are delicious with that other product that we sneak across the border to buy...spray cheese in a can! Disgusting, isn't it?

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I've been having a bugles craving ever since I found out they aren't available in Canada anymore.

Which leads me to a question I forgot to ask. Does anyone know how Bugles are made? I'm sort of curious about how they get the shape, but more interested in the creation of airy, crunchy corn-based things along these lines. It doesn't seem very different from Cap'n Crunch cereal (if you replace sugar with salt).

Although I can buy Bugles in the US, I'm paying $2.50 for a small 6 oz package (on sale).