• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Forgot How Good Bugles Were!

jvalentino

I went to my moms house to visit right before Christmas, and she was making "Christmas Mix"(basically trail mix with Bugles). I picked up the bag of Bugles and before I realized it it was nearly half gone. I totally forgot how good these corny, salty things tasted! They are sold in what looks like a 5lb bag, and if you squeeze them you can feel the oil between your fingers. I'm going to get another bag.

Any other fans of these salty little horns o' plenty?

Jeff

Surprise! Yet another sh*t product made out of US feed corn surplus.

I pray that all the Bugles in the world turn to ethanol.

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I hadn't had Bugles in maybe 20 years, but last July at a gas station off I-10 on the way back from New Orleans, they called out to me. Let's ignore the fact that they were the only snack food left on the rack, making them a chorus of one.

Airy, crunchy corn with a hint of toasted wheat. And salt, of course. They were sublime.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

OMG.........! I was in K-Mart about a month ago and had a serious (very) munchie jones going on, so I wandered down the snacks aisle. Didn't really want potato chips and everything else didn't speak to me. Then I espied the siren bag of Bugles (nacho cheese flavor in this instance). They were gone. Gone. GONE within an hour of hitting my home. And each time I've gone to the grocery/convenience/discount store since then I have seriously thought "MUST BUY BUGLES....MUST BUY BUGLES".

Only one more bag has made it home with me since my initial orgy of Bugledom, but hey, New Year's Eve is coming and I think they'd taste splendid with Champagne.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

At a restaurant in Rabat, I was served a little munchie plate of anchovies and Bugles (or the Moroccan version of Bugles). Bugles wrapped in anchovies are quite delicious.

I love Bugles, but I can't eat too many because the grease does horrible things to my stomach. And you can't buy a bag of Bugles without eating too many, so I just don't buy them.

Mmm...Bugles.

I don't know how or when this mix first happened but I still get occasional cravings for Bugles and dill veggie dip. Bugles are horrible and if I eat too many, my mouth hurts. But once or twice a year they call to me..."Buuuuuuuuuuuuy me....and some dip!"

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches

You MUST try Bugles with clam dip..

You know, that (sorta white-trash) dip made of canned clams, softened cream cheese, plus mayo or s. cream, add worchestershire sauce, herbs, s and p.

It is the only way to eat Bugles. Out of this world f-ing delish! :biggrin:

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

I stopped eating bugels a few years ago after I read they were fried in satured fat( coconut oil)

Most prepared snacks were made with saturated fats (hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils), so I don't think Bugles were any more or less healthful because of the use of coconut oil. And if they used unrefined coconut oil (which I doubt, but it's nice to dream!) then they'd be almost good for you. :biggrin:

I stopped eating bugels a few years ago after I read they were fried in satured fat( coconut oil)

Yeah, but then I don't assume any fried food is good for me...though I can dream!

I loved Bugles as a kid but forgot about them so completely that years later I found myself trying to remember what those weird corn things were that were at the back of my memory. When I finally realized they were Bugles I was quite delighted to find they tasted just as wonderful as I'd remembered.

You MUST try Bugles with clam dip..

You know, that (sorta white-trash) dip made of canned clams, softened cream cheese, plus mayo or s. cream, add worchestershire sauce, herbs, s and p.

It is the only way to eat Bugles.  Out of this world f-ing delish!  :biggrin:

:wub:

I was just going to post that you have to try them with veggie dip (Knorr veggie soup mix, sour cream and mayo)

Filling up a Bugle with either of these dips--to die for.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate the smell of Bugles (stinky feet, just like Fritos.....) and never would eat them.

HOWEVER, about a month ago I was in a candy shop in Wichita and they were giving samples of Bugles dipped in white chocolate .....yum! (Did you know white chocolate makes almost anything palatable?)

Aquarius (Jan 21-Feb 19): Cranky. And rude and tactless. - and a perfect description of me!

"Is there alcohol in this furniture polish? Mmmmm, tastes like I might die!" Roger the Alien, "American Dad"

I hadn't had Bugles for a long time, either, but bought some a couple of weeks ago.

I really enjoyed them, but not as much as Sweeney, my Westie - he went crazy for them. He usually doesn't have any use for anything non-meat. Guess he liked the crunch.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

My daughter and her cat BOTH adore Bugles. We haven't had Bugles in the house for 2 years- it's been that long since I've thought to buy some. They are like the crack of junk food to my kiddle, so I don't think that I'll be bringing them home anytime soon- but I will definitely put them in her care package when she's overseas next. Thanks for reminding me!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

So one day last week, being bereft of leftovers, and too time-crunched to search the paltry offerings of the area around my work for something other than MickeyD/BurgerKing/Carls/KFC, I wandered upstairs to the vending machines in search of what we lovingly call "the sandwiches of death". After selecting a relatively innocuous option (no WAY was I going for the chicken salad.....), what to my wondering eyes did apper in the "snacks/sweets" machine ???

Why THIS little lovely.

gallery_52142_5622_68341.jpg

Yes, I had to buy them. No, I haven't tried them yet. Frankly, I'm afraid. I'm quite sure they're the work of the devil, and yet another way to apply pounds to my hips.:wink:

But that siren song of "sweet and salty" is prolly gonna be too much to resist........*sigh*

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I have been caught-another Bugle addict! And to further my embarassment, I buy my Bugles at the haven of retro snack foods-WalMart. Yes, it is true.

I absolutely love Bugles but rarely eat them, usually only once a year, a tradition started by my Aunt Bertie many, many years ago.

Aunt Bertie would always give us a goodie bag for our journey from Idaho back to our home in Oregon each Summer. We always had a bag of Bugles in the goodie bag.

So now when I take a driving trip in the Summer I always place a bag of Bugles on the front passenger seat to snack on during the drive. I usually make it to around 730am before I start digging in. Delicious those little Bugles.

I have been caught-another Bugle addict!  And to further my embarassment, I buy my Bugles at the haven of retro snack foods-WalMart.  Yes, it is true.

I absolutely love Bugles but rarely eat them, usually only once a year, a tradition started by my Aunt Bertie many, many years ago.

Aunt Bertie would always give us a goodie bag for our journey from Idaho back to our home in Oregon each Summer.  We always had a bag of Bugles in the goodie bag. 

So now when I take a driving trip in the Summer I always place a bag of Bugles on the front passenger seat to snack on during the drive.  I usually make it to around 730am before I start digging in.  Delicious those little Bugles.

I knew I liked you! :biggrin: