• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jamie at Home - New Jamie Oliver show

tetsujustin

Elie, do you have the UK edition of Cook with Jamie?

The squid-cutting technique with the two knives made me cringe a little, too, but I liked the results. I was thinking of something wooden, like a ruler, to use inside the squid instead, but the shape of the knife does fit perfectly.

Those leeks, I was just considering adding to my Easter menu.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Elie, do you have the UK edition of Cook with Jamie?

The squid-cutting technique with the two knives made me cringe a little, too, but I liked the results.  I was thinking of something wooden, like a ruler, to use inside the squid instead, but the shape of the knife does fit perfectly.

Those leeks, I was just considering adding to my Easter menu.

Yes, I have the UK edition. I buy the books as soon as they come out on Amazon.uk. It has no exotic or strictly-UK ingredients in there, that is why I am wondering what could Helen mean by her comment.

I thought the same thing about using a wooden or plastic thing instead of the knife for the squid because like you said the result is even and fast. It has to be shaped like a knife, so maybe a thick piece of cardoard that can be cut to shape? Or just carve and taper the ruler a bit.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Foodman, sorry, I should have been clearer - where I live in Japan, a lof of "ordinary" fare is exotic - but Italian food is popular, so I can buy fresh white mozzarella, but not a chunk of hard cheese.

I'm really appreciating reading the resposes, though, and think that one of these DVDs/books will suit our needs.

Foodman, sorry, I should have been clearer - where I live in Japan, a lof of "ordinary" fare is exotic - but Italian food is popular, so I can buy fresh white mozzarella, but not a chunk of hard cheese.

I'm really appreciating reading the resposes, though, and think that one of these DVDs/books will suit our needs.

I did notice that you live in Japan, but I guess I thought that many western ingredients would be much more available. So, you are limited by most "western" cookbooks then, not specifically the Jamie Oliver one that was refered to upthread? I'd hate to see you trying to cook from a Claudia Roden or Paula Wolfert book :smile:.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 3 weeks later...
Oh man I am totally stealing the Asian-style fried game birds he did this weekend.  Duck legs that way would be awesome.

How does that spice shaker he uses work?  I've seen him put leafy things in there and everything comes out pounded to dust.

the "flavor shaker" has a heavy ceramic ball that fits inside the plastic housing. i saw one, but didn't buy it. that was before this show started airing. now i wish i had, if only in homage to jamie....a mortar and pestle will do the same thing, but i am so enjoying the episodes that i want to be "just like him"... :wub:

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Finally got to the game birds show, another good one.

The poultry and pork (Jamie used sausage) gave me ideas. Taking advantage of an overcast Sunday I cooked a chicken, split in half, and some bone-in pork shoulder like his mixed roast, w/carrots and celery and strips of orange zest and rosemary and thyme and so forth. The pork fat did wonderful things for the chicken skin and flesh -- the whole thing was fabulous. Garlic mash rather than his polenta, though, by request. Among the best house-smelling-up dishes ever, orange, olive oil, meats, veg, herbs, all detectable.

Priscilla

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked amazon in the US and the new Jamie book is available for pre-order, to be available in Oct. 2008 (what a long time! - maybe they are converting words and phrases like "easy-peasy" to "simple" ;-)

Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/JAMIE-AT-HOME-COOK-Y...08547915&sr=8-3

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

I just checked amazon in the US and the new Jamie book is available for pre-order, to be available in Oct. 2008 (what a long time! - maybe they are converting words and phrases like "easy-peasy" to "simple" ;-)

Here is a link:

That's odd because it's in stock at Amazon.ca - wonder if it's just a misprint. My daughter grabbed me a copy from my local Cosco.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here is a link:

That's odd because it's in stock at Amazon.ca - wonder if it's just a misprint. My daughter grabbed me a copy from my local Cosco.

Canadians know what 'easy-peasy' means...we are so lost if we read that in the text :wacko:

BTW, I've seen his previous book, 'Cook with Jamie' at Borders sold in a package along with the flavor shaker. I would've picked it up but I already had a copy.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I bought the book package with the Flavor Shaker and recommend it highly - I find it way easier than a mortar and pestle (at least for some things). The baked sqaush recipe with coriander and chili flakes (which uses the shaker for the spice mixture) is one of the best things I've ever eaten.

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

• 1 month later...

Was that rotisseries from this weekend's episode one of the coolest things or what! I wonder of he really found it at an antique store or was he just romanticizing.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I was thinking he should've put finger quotes around everything he was saying when he was talking about it.  Hmmm, yeah Jamie, you just happened to find this thing just yesterday and decided to try it on camera for the first time . . .  :raz:

Cool contraption though.

My cynic in me agrees with you...on the other hand he did burn the hell of those onions.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 3 weeks later...

Just caught up with the onion and the bbq eps... I love that beautiful keywound spit no matter its provenance. I agree that its finding was probably less romantic than Jamie's tongue-in-cheek flight of fancy might have suggested.

From the onion show the shallot/blue cheese salad was just right. Salads w/a blue cheese component are habitual in our house and I will be doing his variation with the fine fat shallots from my fave farmer's market vendor right quick here.

Priscilla

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After checking Food Network’s website it looks like the show is moving to 7:30 AM starting October 4th. The shows listed are repeats. Maybe some of are friends in Canada or the UK can let us know if new episodes are being produced.

I can’t say that I cared for other show by Mr. Oliver, but this one is of the best (IMO) currently on television.

Dave

After checking Food Network’s website it looks like the show is moving to 7:30 AM starting October 4th.  The shows listed are repeats.  Maybe some of are friends in Canada or the UK can let us know if new episodes are being produced.

I can’t say that I cared for other show by Mr. Oliver, but this one is of the best (IMO) currently on television.

Man it's my favorite - in a LONG time.

He seems genuinely inspired/ motivated by his garden, and his wood stove, and the incredible meats and such to which he seems to have ready local access.

His enthusiasm is contagious, in that I now covet a working, productive kitchen garden (albeit on a smaller scale) - and a wood-fired outdoor brick oven. . . . and, of course, a full-time professional gardener from UC Davis.

Edited by D. B. Brown (log)

Maybe some of are friends in Canada or the UK

There were 2 series in the UK - although they seem to have run more or less back-to back. Finished many months back and now crop up endlessly on the repeat channel (along with assorted Ramsey programmes)

Edited by Harters (log)

John Hartley

• 2 weeks later...

An answer to a question sent to his website was answered by his "Enquiries Team" yesterday. There are no plans for another season at the moment (so it's just the 2), but they aren't ruling it out completely.

I certainly hope it does get picked up for a third series (it's been one of his best shows). His next TV series + book is Jamie's Ministry of Food (the link has a particularly unflattering picture of Jamie). I don't know if he's used up all of the recipes on his Jamie at Home book in the series. Has he?

His other shows that ran for more than one season are Oliver's Twist (two seasons with 26 episodes each), The Naked Chef (2 seasons), and Jamie's Kitchen (one in UK and one in Australia).

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

• 3 months later...