• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jamie at Home - New Jamie Oliver show

tetsujustin

I heard his show is quite good. I have been out of town the last two weekends so I missed it. I will set my ReplayTV to record it. I think the network is showing how much faith they have in him given his time slot.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the mushroom show today and I was impressed! It really is the best the food network has done in a long time.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I watched the mushroom show today and I was impressed! It really is the best the food network has done in a long time.

Yeah, I doubt we'll see Rachel discussing the different varieties of mushrooms anytime soon, let alone foraging for her own.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 4 weeks later...

I watched the show yesterday and he did this thing with link sausage that looked amazing. I have to get the book. Does anyone know if it is being sold in the US yet?

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I watched the show yesterday and he did this thing with link sausage that looked amazing. I have to get the book. Does anyone know if it is being sold in the US yet?

I presume you've already looked at the Amazon listing -- won't be available until October 2008.

But, imported editions are being sold on ebay...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

RATZ! I will be patient! (although that is very hard for me when it comes to good food, I admit) :)

RATZ! I will be patient! (although that is very hard for me when it comes to good food, I admit) :)

Amazon.ca has a realease date of March 4, 2008. Click

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So what's the level of difficulty here? My elder son is developing a cautious interest in cooking again, after a baptism of fire when my kids were suddenly plunged into cooking all meals plus packed lunches for a couple of months last year. Younger son already liked to cook a bit, but elder son got some harsh comments back then. His recent interest is in cooking Italian food - Jamie sounds like a good match.

I have the "Twist" DVD, and there's definitely something about a guy cooking that young male students or boys identify with.

Is the "At Home" DVD/book accessible for the unconfident noob teen boy cook?

So what's the level of difficulty here? My elder son is developing a cautious interest in cooking again, after a baptism of fire when my kids were suddenly plunged into cooking all meals plus packed lunches for a couple of months last year. Younger son already liked to cook a bit, but elder son got some harsh comments back then. His recent interest is in cooking Italian food - Jamie sounds like a good match.

I have the "Twist" DVD, and there's definitely something about a guy cooking that young male students or boys identify with.

Is the "At Home" DVD/book accessible for the unconfident noob teen boy cook?

jamie oliver has an italian book---if i recall correctly, the title is jamie in italy...his stuff is quite approachable, and i think that book might be just the thing for your son. (from another mom of cooks.)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

The Italy series is really more of a cuisine-travel-docu, but the book is perfectly fine. I still think the At Home series and book might be a better fit. Everything really does look easy and accessible (except the, uh, wood-burning oven); it even got me trying out things like pizza. I mean, he brought the dough together in five minutes, so that gave me the confidence to try. It also definitely has an Italian tendency.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Thanks! We made a post-exam risotto for lunch and took another look at the Oliver's Twist DVD, and both my boys already thought the "At Home" DVD and book sounded more interesting. (That's maybe partly because they like the Japanese Italian cookbook son1 already has).

And anyway, it's spring, nearly vacation time, and certainly time to start planting our spring greens and summer vegetables. I'm looking forward to both the garden and the cooking side of this book/DVD.

Helen, Jamie also has a recent book called Cook with Jamie that is described as a compendium of basic skills for cooks... I have not vetted it, but might be worth a look-see for your purposes.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I really like this show though there are some quirks about it. If you watch carefully, in almost every episode, he sort of has a seizure or outburst. In the carrot episode, he tried to make a sexual joke saying "I bet you know what sex this carrot is." Then a period of awkward silence, he fumbled and moved on. Another time he stared straight into the camera and smiled then quickly changed it into a grimace.

Aside from that, I like how carefree and rustic he makes things except I think he pushes it too far. There are episodes where he just plops raw meat down on benches or wooden stumps or tosses hot grease into the grass. If I had a full time hippie farmer tending my grounds, maybe I could do that too.

The worst though is how he treats his equipment. He throws knives into cutting boards like daggers and in one episode, he used one blade as a stiffener inside an piece of squid and used the other knife to score the meat, scratching up the first knife. I don't think people need to baby and oil their knives after each use but you also don't have to go out of your way to destroy them either.

Interesting to hear actual detail of the shows - I took a look on Amazon UK, and found that they had individual recipes available to view. Have to say I was a bit underwhelmed.

He's pretty hyper in the "Twist" DVD too - by the time the camera has panned to follow him left, he's already departed the frame to the right!

For us, the classical cooking book would be less useful, because the ingredients are not available.

Saturday's show was another good one... love seeing crucifers properly honored. The Italian dry soup was very appealing.

The sheer volume of veg he packs into a single preparation resonates strongly with my own cooking, which is I guess why I'm liking this show. Jamie's foundation in the Italian tradition serves him well.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I enjoy the show a lot. I see his emphasis on good, honest ingredients and simple technique as the antithesis of the "shortcut" approach that seems to permeate some programs.

But my wife always says the same thing when she sees Oliver's programs: "They must hate cleaning up after that guy." :biggrin:

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Nothing new to add other than my continued enjoyment. There's a neat technique I learn in every episode, it seems, which is something I haven't said about a cooking show in a long time. I loved the idea of draping the leeks with pancetta as they caramelized in the pan a couple weeks back. The game episode this week was great as well.

Amazon.ca has a realease date of March 4, 2008. Click

It's in Costco in Oakville already!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

For us, the classical cooking book would be less useful, because the ingredients are not available.

what do you mean?

Helen, Jamie also has a recent book called Cook with Jamie that is described as a compendium of basic skills for cooks... I have not vetted it, but might be worth a look-see for your purposes.

I have that one too. I cannot say at this stage that I learned too much from it, but it is a big book a very useful to beginner cooks. I loved te doughnut recipe he has in there though.

BTW, I also did cringe when he used his knife on another knife to score a squid. On the other hand, I never noticed any foibles infront of the camera. the guy has been doing this for years and is as comfortable as it gets. I see nothing wrong in putting good meat on a work bench if you know what you are doing. It is a laid back cooking show with a good premise and a capable cook. The recipes are simple and tasty and like Kevin said, you learn something almost everytime. I'd love to say the same about most of FTV's crappy new ....cough..Neely's...cough... 'programming'.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog