• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jamie at Home - New Jamie Oliver show

tetsujustin

FoodMan, thank you so much for the proportions. I think I'm going to make this next week. I got seduced again just reading the list of ingredients. I had gone to FN's website yesterday, hoping the recipe had been posted, but while the other 2 dishes from this show had been, the stuffed peppers hadn't ! I was bummed.

Jane, sorry to disappoint you, but the Sunday night showing last week was for the preview only. The normal air time for the Jamie's new is Saturday morning at 9:30 Eastern time. Which, unfortunately for me, is 6:30 a.m., and therefore the likelihood of my actually *seeing* this show again is slim. However, given FN's proclivity for re-running things ad infinitum, I think I'll probably catch them eventually on their 4th or 5th go 'round.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Jamie seems to have a proclivity for stuffed peppers. I searched around and found some different recipes online from his Naked Chef days, cookbooks, etc. But the one he made on this last episode was a much simpler version that the other ones I've seen, and that is the recipe I want to find! :)

Couldn't even find this segment of the show on YouTube. :(

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

Jane, sorry to disappoint you, but the Sunday night showing last week was for the preview only. The normal air time for the Jamie's new is Saturday morning at 9:30 Eastern time. Which, unfortunately for me, is 6:30 a.m., and therefore the likelihood of my actually *seeing* this show again is slim. However, given FN's proclivity for re-running things ad infinitum, I think I'll probably catch them eventually on their 4th or 5th go 'round.

Pierogi~

I'm in Central CA and found it listed at 9:30 AM on Saturdays here. Try checking that. Of course, I didn't find it until today :hmmm: , not that it matters since my Saturday mornings are rarely spent watching TV ! :rolleyes:

Food Network finally manages to get a halfway decent programme like "Jamie at Home" and what do they do...put it on at some godforsaken hour on Sat Morning.

As Dockhl said, I do not spend my early morning hours watching Tv.

Why can't they fill up those dead hours with Sandra Lee, RR, or even the reruns of old shows that they put on in prime time over and over.

Jane, sorry to disappoint you, but the Sunday night showing last week was for the preview only.  The normal air time for the Jamie's new is Saturday morning at 9:30 Eastern time. 

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up, Pierogi. That would be 7:30 a.m. for me, which is just not going to happen but for the MIRACLE that is TIVO. Fortunately, my DVR recorded it so I did get to see the Pumpkin & Squash episode tonight.

Were that *my* kitchen, I'd not have made such a splashy mess with the chicken stock at the stove as wot Jamie did making that soup. But it all looked really good anyway.

Dockhl & Chezcherie, unfortunately, on the satellite service I have, I get the East Coast feed on the non-broadcast channels like FN, DIY, Fine Living, Bravo, Discovery, etc. Even on HBO, well actually on that one I get both the East and West coast feeds, so I can choose to watch Bill Mahr at 8 or at 11 p.m. *THAT'S* the only upside !

So, no, I looked and looked and Jamie's on at 6:30 a.m., and I don't have TiVo yet, but I do have a VCR, so I just need to remember to set it. Well, and then watch it, there's the rub. Of course, if the writer's strike continues on much longer, that'll be easier to accomplish !

But yeah, Ted Fairhead, it really frosts my cookies that they finally put on someone I *want* to watch, and its on at 6-freakin'-30 on Saturday morning, when Auntie Sandy and Pawul-ah and Ray-Ray are on in prime TV watching time. Argh. :angry::angry:

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Thanks for the link JudyB..very interesting. I hope there is a thread somewhere about this show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-BEVskEgBU&feature=related

Jamie with Gordon and Hugh...so funny. Don't know what the big food fight is about but this is Jamie related.

The "Big Food Fight" is a loosely connected series of programmes on Channel 4 (in the UK) challenging the way in which we eat and our food is produced.

The Channel 4 website here will give you an idea of the programmes they are showing.

The programmes with Jamie Oliver and Hugh Fearnley-Wittingstall have been concentrating on trying to stop people buying "battery" chickens due to the conditions in which they are kept.

I watched the youtube link and thought it was pretty amusing, given that Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay are oceans apart in personality. I'm liking Oliver more and more every time I see his scruffy grown-up self. I'm not that familiar with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, I think I've seen him only once or twice on TV and have been to his website a few times, but I really appreciate his point of view very much. I'd love to see Big Food Fight. Soon!

I want animals to have happy little lives before I eat them. Is that too much to ask?

Why can't we get these great British programs right away? Doesn't the US export Hollywood crap to other nations immediately?

Anyway, back to Jamie at Home, I'm looking forward to tonight's show.  :smile:

Edited to change RamsEy to RamsAy.

quote=Jane Die,Jan 13 2008, 09:15 AM]

I want animals to have happy little lives before I eat them. Is that too much to ask?

No it's not. I think it's our responsibility. I hope the big food fight gets aired on this side of the pond.

Jamie seems to have a proclivity for stuffed peppers. I searched around and found some different recipes online from his Naked Chef days, cookbooks, etc. But the one he made on this last episode was a much simpler version that the other ones I've seen, and that is the recipe I want to find! :)

Couldn't even find this segment of the show on YouTube. :(

Batard, I posted the list of ingredients and some minor instructions a few posts upthread.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Watched the first ep Tivo picked up from Sat a.m., pumpkins and squashes ... somehow did not get the introductory one, however.

I liked it a lot, but then I already liked Jamie. And foodwise, he is preaching to the choir with me.

Intrigued by his leaving all squash skin in the soup, and processing unpeeled and raw for the cupcakes. Bold, as they used to say on Iron Chef.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Watched the first ep Tivo picked up from Sat a.m., pumpkins and squashes ... somehow did not get the introductory one, however.

I liked it a lot, but then I already liked Jamie.  And foodwise, he is preaching to the choir with me.

Intrigued by his leaving all squash skin in the soup, and processing unpeeled and raw for the cupcakes.  Bold, as they used to say on Iron Chef.

That was interesting, leaving the skins on for the cakes. I wonder if it makes a noticeable difference. I'll have to give them a shot soon. I have roasted them before with skins on per one of his recipes and sure enough, the skins turn crispy and chewy and very tasty.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I liked it a lot, but then I already liked Jamie.  And foodwise, he is preaching to the choir with me.

Intrigued by his leaving all squash skin in the soup, and processing unpeeled and raw for the cupcakes.  Bold, as they used to say on Iron Chef.

That was interesting, leaving the skins on for the cakes. I wonder if it makes a noticeable difference. I'll have to give them a shot soon. I have roasted them before with skins on per one of his recipes and sure enough, the skins turn crispy and chewy and very tasty.

Yes, I have roasted hard-shell squash w/skin on in the past, acorn type especially, this way, and the skin is very good to eat. Just never thought of keeping it in a soup that was destined to be pureed. Am going to try.

Priscilla

Looking forward to this show, but I am ticked that FN America never aired his school lunch show. That looked amazing.

Sure they did, oh, about 6 months ago. I did a series recording on it. Very interesting! Wait, maybe it was on Discovery Health or something like that. Did you ever find it?

I made the soup yesterday as part of my vegetarian dinners project. It is so easy and delicious. Even though I could not tell if leaving the skin on made a difference in taste, it certainly is a welcome shortcut.

Elie, did you use a pressure cooker? I'll be using a regular pot when I try this, and I wonder how much difference pressure cooking, like Jamie did, would make.

Priscilla

Ooh, I wanna play too! Though these inspirations are from the first season, I'm pretty sure they will air the episodes eventually (if indeed it's just the first run for the States).

Strawberry Salad (from the Strawberries episode)- I wanted to use local cheese instead of Halloumi, so here it is.

gallery_53129_4592_25453.jpg

Peach Salad (from the Summer Salads episode) - I admit this has been altered quite a bit from the original (I only just got organic arugula, which is so much more beautiful and deeply pinnate than the usual stuff sold in bags here). Also, there wasn't any Parma ham in stock at the deli at the time.

gallery_53129_4592_52398.jpg

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

This show is terrific. I wish that FN would repeat the episodes...it's a shame that it seems like it's a low priority. After watching the latest show, we decided that I had to try making the Guinness Beef Pie. It is perfect for a cold evening when you crave something hot, hearty, and tasty. My only variation was to add a touch more garlic and omit the peas poured over it at the end. It did make quite a bit of food so next time I either need to have company over or half the recipe.

I made the soup yesterday as part of my vegetarian dinners project. It is so easy and delicious. Even though I could not tell if leaving the skin on made a difference in taste, it certainly is a welcome shortcut.

Elie, did you use a pressure cooker? I'll be using a regular pot when I try this, and I wonder how much difference pressure cooking, like Jamie did, would make.

No, no pressure cooker, I am scared fo the damn things :smile:. I used a regular stock pot and cooked it about 45 minutes till the skin was nice and soft.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I think the show is beautiful and Jamie is a great teacher.  Many of the recipes aren't posted on FN.  Does anybody know if most of these recipes come from a particular cookbook?

Yes. They are all in the show's companion book "Jamie at Home: cook your way to the good life". I am sure at some point it will be available in the US. I got my copy a while back from Amazon.co.uk

edit: add URL

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

No, no pressure cooker, I am scared fo the damn things :smile:. I used a regular stock pot and cooked it about 45 minutes till the skin was nice and soft.

Hee. Good to know. I'll be on the lookout for a likely squash specimen next farmer's market.

Jamie's pastry show, which I got around to watching yesterday, was great as well. He was inspiringly assured working the doughs.

I was agog as he stripped those stinging nettles with his bare hands. Are they cultivated in his garden, or foraged, I wonder. If my hand so much as brushes against the ones volunteering in my garden I'll have a white-veined flattish welt for a while. If I encouraged them with water would they milden up? When the new ones are bigger I'll be making that shallow quiche type thing regardless.

Priscilla

My parents own the book and I cooked extensively from it last spring. I don't have cable, so no FN, but it's one of those rare cookbooks wherein recipes scream to be cooked. Today. Every recipe I tried was a winner.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com