• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jamie at Home - New Jamie Oliver show

tetsujustin

Have to chime in here and say that I enjoyed last night's show very much. Jamie's cooking really struck a chord with me, this is the type of food I will happily prepare at home.

I have to admit though, the show did create some angst........ I'm months away from any of my farmer's markets opening up, so it was a little bit of torture.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Agreed. It was a bit odd to see recipes with fresh tomatoes, basil, etc airing in the middle of winter. If they really did seasonal shows for all four seasons, why didn't they air a winter show last night?

I enjoyed last night's episode a lot. I've been trying to remember what all he put in those lovely stuffed peppers.

Does anyone remember?

I caught the show about mid-way through him making this dish and I wanted to know what was in the peppers, too (they looked delicious). I went on the Food Network web site, but didn't see a recipe. I believe the "stuffing" contained chiles, whole cracked olives, capers, basil, s/p and a good douse of olive oil. There may have been more, though.

Oh, and don't forget his genius move of laying a thick slice of bacon on top before roasting.

I enjoyed last night's episode a lot. I've been trying to remember what all he put in those lovely stuffed peppers.

Does anyone remember?

cherry tomatoes

chilies

olives

capers

herbs

olive oil

I think I have the recipe in one of his cookbooks. I'll look it up when I get home

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I love Jamie's sensible, direct from the ground approach to cooking. The flavors are huge and clean and simple but manage to offer intrigue and sophistication all at the same time. It's proper British sensibility mixed with a lot of influence from Italy. Gorgeous stuff I say and I'm sure, with a little help from my own farmer's market, I'll be re-creating a lot of these dishes.

Edited by SiseFromm (log)

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Agreed.  It was a bit odd to see recipes with fresh tomatoes, basil, etc airing in the middle of winter.  If they really did seasonal shows for all four seasons, why didn't they air a winter show last night?

I saw a blurb on FTV Canada about a new season starting this week. That doesn't mean it really will . . . but, I saw about 3 minutes of a show last night and he was roasting duck and squash in the outdoor oven, dressed in flannel.

In Canada we've already seen the summery shows, so maybe we're on to fall? (Or else I missed this episode when it first aired, which is completely possible.)

I also enjoyed his new show, more than I expected to. He has matured and chilled out a bit, but still Jamie. Loved the stuffed peppers with the prosciutto and the pork dish with paprika and peppers.

Makes me long for summer.

He looks like he was cooking in a shed or barn or some primitive kitchen, which was very cool. I imagine his garden just outside the kitchen door.

I caught the show about mid-way through him making this dish and I wanted to know what was in the peppers, too (they looked delicious). I went on the Food Network web site, but didn't see a recipe. I believe the "stuffing" contained chiles, whole cracked olives, capers, basil, s/p and a good douse of olive oil. There may have been more, though. 

Oh, and don't forget his genius move of laying a thick slice of bacon on top before roasting.

cherry tomatoes

chilies

olives

capers

herbs

olive oil

I think I have the recipe in one of his cookbooks. I'll look it up when I get home

Thanks ! Sounds right to me :)

I loved this show ! Seriously gorgeous food, very instructive, fun, yeah, it's a winner. Let's hope it hangs around for a while, and that it airs in a resonable time slot (sorry, 6:30 a.m. on a weekend isn't going to cut it for me.......)

Those peppers were AMAZING. My first thought as he put them in the baking dish was I MUST MAKE THESE AND SOON.

FoodMan, I'd love to have the proportions as well, even though I imagine in a dish like that they're not really critical and can mostly be to taste. TIA

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I scoured the net for that stuffed pepper recipe to no avail. Even checked YouTube to see if the segment was online, but no luck their either. The recipe looked pretty easy, but I would like to see him make it one more time before I try it.

This is slightly off topic, so sorry. But if you are not in the UK, you might have missed the hilarious Channel4 Trailer for the new show "Jamie at Home". Pretty hilarious. All credit goes to the original poster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cn_FLt4gaE&feature=related

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

Last night I kept seeing the little pop-up ads for Jamie's show during Diners, Drive-ins and Dives......saying that the show will premiere at 9:30am Saturday. I know they were calling the episode the other night a "preview", so I'm assuming he's going to be stuck in the a.m. time slot?

Not a huge deal w/DVR I guess. I keep forgetting that there's not enough primetime space on FTV for a real cooking show.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

He made this "smoked" salmon the other day with this disgusting looking salsa.. I am not a big fan of the show and find the concept a little too cute and forced.. I guess some people like him, I find him to be a bit much and his food to be gross.

I used to despise Jamie Oliver, his whole demeanour used to be so forced and offputting. Thankfully he has matured a little and his latest program is very enjoyable. The recipes are demonstrated with real passion. His rustic Italian style will never be acclaimed for it's innovation or technical brilliance but it is genuinely honest tasty grub.

Just one thing about the show; why does he never use a chopping board? He makes me literally scream at the tv when he chops everything directly on his wooden countertops!! Keep watching you'll see what i'm talking about....

He makes me literally scream at the tv when he chops everything directly on his wooden countertops!!    Keep watching you'll see what i'm talking about....

He also scrapes the blade side of his knife across across the wooden counter tops which makes me want to scream. I was surprised, considering he has some pretty good knife skills.

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

WRT the countertops: I guess that is the "feel" the producers and Jamie are going for... When he cooks outside, he places some random-looking wooden board on his lap too. (I think that's his home in... Essex? He probably likes the character of the knife marks everywhere.)

WRT the knife blade: yeah, I've noticed that even in his other shows. I cringe too :laugh:

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

WRT the countertops: I guess that is the "feel" the producers and Jamie are going for... When he cooks outside, he places some random-looking wooden board on his lap too. (I think that's his home in... Essex? He probably likes the character of the knife marks everywhere.)

WRT the knife blade: yeah, I've noticed that even in his other shows. I cringe too :laugh:

I remember from his not-so-good FTV show Oliver's Twist, he has those countertops built specifically to be used as cutting boards. More space to cut and easy to clean. I am sure he would not be using his marble kitchen counter tops to cut on.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I used to despise Jamie Oliver, his whole demeanour used to be so forced and offputting.  Thankfully he has matured a little and his latest program is very enjoyable.  The recipes are demonstrated with real passion.  His rustic Italian style will never be acclaimed for it's innovation or technical brilliance but it is genuinely honest tasty grub.

Just one thing about the show; why does he never use a chopping board?  He makes me literally scream at the tv when he chops everything directly on his wooden countertops!!    Keep watching you'll see what i'm talking about....

wasn't jamie a bit of a 'child' star when he started his first cooking show? i remember him jaunting off to the market on a moped, gathering a host of unwashed friends to join in the proceeding, etc.

i just watched this mornings episode and he has grown up. still hasn't taken a bath or changed his clothes, though. :)

i think the show will be a hit here in the usa. he has a simple honesty combined with a little adult attention deficency, which comes across as likeable.

he is still the homegrown light of the sun in england. as he should be!

I'm making the peppers tonight---a vegetarian, non-gluten, non-dairy guest is coming, so these seemed ok on all the levels.

They'll go onto a bed of pilaf, made with golden raisins, vegetable stock, and a last-minute scatter of toasted almonds.

Rack of lamb for the two guys, done by Chris on the grill, roasted Winter vegetables---parsnips, onions, carrots, two kinds of potatoes, and a salad of butter lettuce with sliced anjous, pine nuts and a lime vinaigrette.

A pan of baked stone fruits with turbinado and double cream on the side.

I've always loved how Jamie loves to cook for GIRLS.

I loved this show !  Seriously gorgeous food, very instructive, fun, yeah, it's a winner.  Let's hope it hangs around for a while, and that it airs in a resonable time slot (sorry, 6:30 a.m. on a weekend isn't going to cut it for me.......)

Those peppers were AMAZING. My first thought as he put them in the baking dish was I MUST MAKE THESE AND SOON.

FoodMan, I'd love to have the proportions as well, even though I imagine in a dish like that they're not really critical and can mostly be to taste. TIA

Sorry, better late than never. Here is the list of ingredients from the "Jamie at Home " book:

2 Red Peppers, halved lengthwise, deseeded and the stem left on

2 Yellow Peppers, halved lengthwise, deseeded and the stem left on

Sea Salt and Black Pepper

1 Clove garlic, peeled and sliced finely

24 Cherry Tomatoes, halved

3 Fresh Red Chillies, 2 sliced and one deseeded and finely chopped

2 Tablespoons Capers, soaked and drained

Handful black olived, pitted

A Bunch Fresh Basil, leaves picked

2 Tablespoons red or white vinegar

Extra Virgin Olive oil

Optional: 8 Sliced Pancetta or Smoked Bacon

4 Slices Sourdough Bread

4 Balls Mozzarella Cheese, torn in half

2 Handfuls Arugula

The peppers are baked at 400F, then filled witht he rest of the stuff. Served on top the bread and with the mozzarella on the side and Arugula on top.

Hope this helps. If anyone needs more info, let me know.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-BEVskEgBU&feature=related

Jamie with Gordon and Hugh...so funny. Don't know what the big food fight is about but this is Jamie related.

The "Big Food Fight" is a loosely connected series of programmes on Channel 4 (in the UK) challenging the way in which we eat and our food is produced.

The Channel 4 website here will give you an idea of the programmes they are showing.

The programmes with Jamie Oliver and Hugh Fearnley-Wittingstall have been concentrating on trying to stop people buying "battery" chickens due to the conditions in which they are kept.

I watched the youtube link and thought it was pretty amusing, given that Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay are oceans apart in personality. I'm liking Oliver more and more every time I see his scruffy grown-up self. I'm not that familiar with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, I think I've seen him only once or twice on TV and have been to his website a few times, but I really appreciate his point of view very much. I'd love to see Big Food Fight. Soon!

I want animals to have happy little lives before I eat them. Is that too much to ask?

Why can't we get these great British programs right away? Doesn't the US export Hollywood crap to other nations immediately?

Anyway, back to Jamie at Home, I'm looking forward to tonight's show. :smile:

Edited to change RamsEy to RamsAy.

Edited by Jane Die (log)