• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cream Centers

lebowits

After spending some months working on truffles and layered confections, I would like to get back to working with molded pieces. One thing I loved growing up were the various "cream" center chocolates. I imagine these are all variations of flavored fondant. Does anyone have any suggestions as to techniques, favorite flavors, or pointers to existing formulas they like?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I have only produced a few fondant centres but lime fondant has been the most popular. I use a dark chocolate for the shell and flavour the fondant with a mixture of fresh lime juice, white rum or vodka and a few drops of lime essential oil.

I tried making my own lime oil by macerating the zest in vodka but the flavour did not last very well. The essential oil has been more reliable.

I also do rose and raspberry fondant.

I did strawberry once by mixing freeze-dried strawberry powder into fondant. This was quite good but I'm not a big fan of strawberry and it took a while to sieve out the pips from the powder before adding it to the fondant.

I do all of these with good fondant bought from a confectionery supplier - not the stuff for rolling out to cover cakes which I really do care for.

I have only produced a few fondant centres but lime fondant has been the most popular. I use a dark chocolate for the shell and flavour the fondant with a mixture of fresh lime juice, white rum or vodka and a few drops of lime essential oil.

I tried making my own lime oil by macerating the zest in vodka but the flavour did not last very well. The essential oil has been more reliable.

I also do rose and raspberry fondant.

I did strawberry once by mixing freeze-dried strawberry powder into fondant. This was quite good but I'm not a big fan of strawberry and it took a while to sieve out the pips from the powder before adding it to the fondant.

I do all of these with good fondant bought from a confectionery supplier - not the stuff for rolling out to cover cakes which I really do care for.

How much do you thin the fondant? I know that it will still need to be somewhat pourable into the molded shells. Should it stiffen a bit before bottoming the pieces?

Have you ever used Invertase to make the centers "creamier" over the next 7 - 10 days?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I like mint oil in fondant, a nice thin chocolate made with this reminds me of the mint patties of my childhood. I add a couple of drops of invertase, which softens up the cream over a week or so. I don't usually bother to thin the fondant, just use my fingers to push it into place. If it's sticky I just dip my fingers into a bit of cornstarch before pressing the centers into place.

I make a double lemon cream, with a layer of lemon marmalade in the shell first, piping in a cream made with fondant, butter, cream, milk powder and a couple of different lemon components - compound, oil, liqueur and a bit of citric acid.

I do a similar double rose cream, with a bit of rose petal jam, followed by a cream flavoured with rose otto.

I let the rose and lemon ones crust over before backing them off, to help prevent leaking.

I used to make my own fondant - can't be bothered any more, I use one purchased from Qzina. I actually use some fondant in a variety of centers, but I don't consider them to be 'creams'.

How much do you thin the fondant?  I know that it will still need to be somewhat pourable into the molded shells.  Should it stiffen a bit before bottoming the pieces?

I use between 1-2tbs of added liquid to 100g fondant but I have no idea if all fondants start as thick as each other so my brand may be quite different to others?

This can produce a centre that is a bit fluid and I always leave them overnight before backing off.

I have never tried invertase but would like to - yet to find a source here in the uk for it.