• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any Suggestions on a Guitar Exchange?

Truffle Guy

When I started my company last summer I was frantically ordering equipment so I could be ready for production by October. I had used a guitar in class but never for my own production and so when I ordered mine, I really didn't understand the different sizes very well. So of course I got the wrong base size for my tastes. I have a 7.5mm Dedy with 4 frames and a cart and I'd really like a 5mm base so I can have a 25mm frame. Does anyone have any suggestions? It is only a few months old so I hate to sell it and lose money. I can keep the 15 and 30 mm frames so I only need to exchange the base and the 7.5mm and 22.5mm frames.

I will try to see if I can exchange it with the company from which I purchased it but I'm not very optomistic. Any suggestions?

When I started my company last summer I was frantically ordering equipment so I could be ready for production by October.  I had used a guitar in class but never for my own production and so when I ordered mine, I really didn't understand the different sizes very well.  So of course I got the wrong base size for my tastes.  I have a 7.5mm Dedy with 4 frames and a cart and I'd really like a 5mm base so I can have a 25mm frame.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  It is only a few months old so I hate to sell it and lose money.  I can keep the 15 and 30 mm frames so I only need to exchange the base and the 7.5mm and 22.5mm frames. 

I will try to see if I can exchange it with the company from which I purchased it but I'm not very optomistic.  Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice on an exchange, but I would like to know where you bought it from. I'm in the market for one.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Dedy makes two bases, one with 5mm spacing and one with 7.5 mm spacing. The 5 mm is more expensive. Some of the frames are interchangable and some are not.

The advantage of the 5 mm, as I see it, is that you can get a square of .98 inches. With the 7.5 mm you can get .88 or 1.13 inches only. So I guess it just depends what you need to cut to fit your packaging.

I went ahead and purchased a Dedy with a 5mm base and a 25mm frame. So now I have an almost new Dedy 7.5mm base and 22.5mm and 37.5mm frames that I really don't need. Is there a place on Egullet to sell/trade equipment or do I need to go to Ebay?

Any other suggestions for places to sell chocolate equipment? I can recover some of the expense of the new base/frame by selling the old one.....another lesson learned, I had no idea about the different frame sizes when I ordered my guitar.

When I started my company last summer I was frantically ordering equipment so I could be ready for production by October.  I had used a guitar in class but never for my own production and so when I ordered mine, I really didn't understand the different sizes very well.  So of course I got the wrong base size for my tastes.  I have a 7.5mm Dedy with 4 frames and a cart and I'd really like a 5mm base so I can have a 25mm frame.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  It is only a few months old so I hate to sell it and lose money.  I can keep the 15 and 30 mm frames so I only need to exchange the base and the 7.5mm and 22.5mm frames. 

I will try to see if I can exchange it with the company from which I purchased it but I'm not very optomistic.  Any suggestions?

That baby Dedy is great - do you know if anyone's selling it, and how much they're charging?

Got the info on the baby Dedy today. The base is 180 X 180 mm (just over 7 inches). Didn't tell me the weight.

The base is 5 mm and costs 580 euro.

5mm frame 420 euro

10mm frame 310 euro

15mm frame 280 euro

20mm frame 237 euro

25mm frame 216 euro

30mm frame 200 euro

complete with 6 frames and accessories 2373 euro.

Then of course there would be shipping and duty to be paid.

Tomric isn't carrying it right now.

Thanks! I emailed Dedy but they never got back to me. Neither did chocolatform about my mould problems (the cooling marks on my bars!) Why don't they get back to their customers?! SO thanks- quite highly priced. I did like the multi praline cutters available at Dedy. Almost like my idea...

That baby Dedy is great - do you know if anyone's selling it, and how much they're charging?

Got the info on the baby Dedy today. The base is 180 X 180 mm (just over 7 inches). Didn't tell me the weight.

The base is 5 mm and costs 580 euro.

5mm frame 420 euro

10mm frame 310 euro

15mm frame 280 euro

20mm frame 237 euro

25mm frame 216 euro

30mm frame 200 euro

complete with 6 frames and accessories 2373 euro.

Then of course there would be shipping and duty to be paid.

Tomric isn't carrying it right now.

They got back to me overnight - the weight with 4 frames is 25 kg.