• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Spanish and French

Florida Jim

Leftover turkey meat loaf, mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy:

2006 Abad dom Bueno, Bierzo Joven:

This may be young vines mencia but this is good; very appealing nose of blackberry hard candy, earth and some red fruit hints; smooth and medium weight with a touch of grip, solid flavors that follow the nose, nice intensity and yet still supple; a medium length, clean finish. A new winery to me but one I‘ll keep an eye on. 13.5% alcohol, imported by Frontier Wines and about $12; I’ll buy more.

Excellent with the meal.

Chips, hummus and cheese:

2006 Dom. de la Fruitière, Muscadet Petit “M”:

Fresh, clean, varietally correct with ripeness and cut; everything a Muscadet should be if its ready to drink young – and this is. 12% alcohol, imported by Jon-David Hedrick and about $9; a great price.

Very good with the dish but even better without it.

With no food:

N/V Zardetto, Proseco Brut:

Way to easy to drink and I have learned to buy them two at a time because everyone wants more. Not fancy but just delicious. 11% alcohol, imported by Locascio and about $12; I’ll buy more.

With lobster risotto:

2006 J. Drouhin, Chablis:

Fragrant with apples, lemon, seashore and flowers; fleshy but good cut with similar flavors that add licorice at the end, lovely balance, good depth, and extremely long. Unmistakably Chablis, ready to drink now and more a premier cru in quality than a simple village wine. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Dreyfus Ashby and about $20; I’ll buy more.

Pasta with veggies, cheese, pine nuts and EVOO:

2005 Brunus, Montsant:

60% carignan, 35% grenache, 5% syrah; smoky, earthy, red fruit nose with spice accents, somewhat torrefied; rustic, big and somewhat alcoholic in the mouth but also ripe and deep with delicious, old-vine flavors that follow the nose, concentrated, grippy and intense; medium length. I’m not usually a fan of wines this big or from this region but this was better balanced then my description may indicate and had a visceral appeal. 14% alcohol, imported by Frontier Wines and about $20; I’d buy it again.

Good with the meal.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com