• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

new years eve..

tommy g

anything good going on? anyone have some exciting plans?

we usually get a group and do a night at the woodbridge sheraton but the price jumped $100 and some people cant swing it

thinking of just doing a nice dinner with a cozy bar....

we usually get a group and do a night at the woodbridge sheraton but the price jumped $100 and some people cant swing it

thinking of just doing a nice dinner with a cozy bar....

Don't know if everyone else is like us, but our reservation book is filling up much faster than last year. Find a place quick.....

sorry king of the late night...

this is when johnnybird and i celebrate our christmas. we exchange our presents and have a nice dinner at home. this year i have an assortment of cheeses to start then for dinner a two bone rib rack. the sides will be carrots with dill and honey, green beans with garlic and olive oil and hasselback potatoes. since he is facing some health concerns this year there can be no wines but some still water and for dessert some truffles.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

this year i have an assortment of cheeses to start then for dinner a two bone rib rack. 

Funny you should mention a 2 rib roast. I just tried one last week and it was superb. Many cookbooks say not to bother roasting a 2 rib standing rib roast but mine came out perfectly rare and the store had them on special for $4.50 per lb!

How will you prepare yours?

Funny you should mention a 2 rib roast. I just tried one last week and it was superb. Many cookbooks say not to bother roasting a 2 rib standing rib roast but mine came out perfectly rare and the store had them on special for $4.50 per lb!

i'm planning on doing a garlic/salt/pepper rub then 350 for 12 minutes per pound.

any ideas how i could do it better?

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

i'm planning on doing a garlic/salt/pepper rub then 350 for 12 minutes per pound.

any ideas how i could do it better?

slower and lower. no searing. a nice crust will form regardless of searing.

slower and lower.  no searing.  a nice crust will form regardless of searing.

ok, tommy. you come and cook it for me and i'll keep the champagne flowing - along with some unfiltered newton cabernet?!

have a wonderful holiday

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

ok, tommy. you come and cook it for me and i'll keep the champagne flowing - along with some unfiltered newton cabernet?!

have a wonderful holiday

Wow, I just had that Newton cab last night! As to the rib roast, I did sear mine before hand for 2 or 3 minutes high heat in a bit of oil and cooked just as you did without the garlic. Agree w/ Tommy however about slower and lower heat.

I prepared a nice fresh horesradish sauce using some of the juices in the pan. It came out really great and I had plenty left for thinly sliced beef, aged provolone and onion hoagies the next few days!

have a wonderful holiday

Wow, I just had that Newton cab last night! As to the rib roast, I did sear mine before hand for 2 or 3 minutes high heat in a bit of oil and cooked just as you did without the garlic. Agree w/ Tommy however about slower and lower heat.

I prepared a nice fresh horesradish sauce using some of the juices in the pan. It came out really great and I had plenty left for thinly sliced beef, aged provolone and onion hoagies the next few days!

honestly i haven't made enough rib roasts to have enough data points for a "this way is the best method" type of statement. that said, i do think that it doesn't matter a whole lot (the meat itself probably matters more), so i just take the easiest way. and i'm a slow-and-low guy in general, so i lean toward that direction whenever there's a question. with my latest roast, i seared all sides but one in a cast iron pan, and the difference in the final product was not noticed at all.

Actually, this was the first one I ever made and was pleased at how well it came out. I have fond memories of Prime Rib as a kid and wanted to see if I could recreate it. They usually run to around $15 per lb and up and it's not something I absolutely must have but at 5 bucks why not.

sorry, guys

we NEVER had prime rib/rib roast when i was younger. i got this for the $5.00 or so per pound at a local butcher i trust so figured - why the ef not?

in full disclosure i have actually met tommy (not tommyg) face to face which is why i am joking with him about the newton. he is a red guy and i am a rose - at best- champagne chick but we did seem to rub along just fine.

slow and low, huh?! too bad we can't poll mrs. tommy.

i like crust but i also like my good meat medium at best(unfortunately i am married to a total infidel who believes if the meat isn't incinerated it isn't done. sorry after 25 years i still haven't been able to budge him "i like my meat grey" course now i am also battling the green beans have to be cooked until they fall apart now. well. we are going through some health issue just now so i will indulge him to the best of my abilities. will post pictures later....

thanks all

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Food-wise? Not really.

Having done three huge event-level meals in the past week, I was all-too happy to leave New Year's Eve to the pretzels-crudites-and-nachos crowd.

Sincerely,

Dante

Given this topic was a time-centric one focused about what to do on New Years Eve and given NYE has now passed, I am going to close this topic.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin