• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Places to shop in Miami

chefmcone76

I'm a private chef who will be spending the winter down on Star Island in Miami. I was hoping some locals could key me in to the best fish markets, farmer's markets, specialty gourmet shops, as well as all aroung grocers near where I'll be staying. Thanks in advance.

"I'm drawn to places that fear their customers" -Kenji

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Epicure is kind of the Miami Beach standard for gourmet food.  If you can't find what you're looking for there - you can probably chat with some people there and get additional ideas.  Robyn

May I suggest Wild Oats, which has a much larger selection than Epicure, as well as substantially lower prices. Other alternatives include the Coconut Grove Organic Market (great organic mushrooms, nuts, seeds, and, of course, produce)Coral Gables Farmers Market (heard great things), and the Upper Eastside Green Market (a short drive over the bay-go north on Biscayne Boulevard to 64th St.), where you can get fresh mozzarella; incredible, inexpensive local tomatoes, and hand-crafted spices and teas. There are also $8/b Stone Crab Claws, which I have been eating every week. Celebrity Chefs like Michael Schwartz (Michael's Genuine), Michelle Bernstein (Michy's), Dewey LoSasso (North One10), and Sandra Stefani (Casa Toscana) either shop here or have their own booths (Dewey and Sandra). For more info, including photos of Miami Mayor Manny Diaz at the Market, click on DailyCocaine