• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delray Beach area?

NancyH

McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's!

Just kidding!

You will probably want to check out what's on Atlantic Boulevard. Lots of people wandering around and restaurants and night clubs.

I live in Boynton Beach which is one town up.

I wish I could give you some specific recommendations but I can't seem to think of anywhere.

Many people like a small place called DaDa's on Swinton Blvd. It's a neat place in an old house.

I am sure others on here can be of more help!

Have a great time.. the weather here has been gorgeous!

-Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - Scott and all. We're back - we ate twice at the Glen Eagles Country Club where my parents are members, and had a couple of meals at regular restaurants. The winner by far was The Cuban Cafe, (561) 495-5999, 14400 Military Trl, Delray Beach, FL 33484.. This Cafe was very casual, and amazingly inexpensive for the quality and quantity ordered (though my Mojito was a little too heavy on the simple syrup and light on the rum).

gallery_21337_5609_44895.jpg

Apertivas Para Dos

Beef Empanadas, Ham & Cheese Croquettes, Pork Tamal and Plantain Chips (Mariquitas). All tasted freshly made from scratch and delicious!

gallery_21337_5609_28854.jpg

Camerones Al Ajillo (Large Shrimp Sauteed in Spanish White Wine and Garlic Sauce)

This was my dad's dish, and he pronounced it excellent.

gallery_21337_5609_176165.jpg

Filete De Pargo (Filet of Snapper Seasoned and Grilled)

My mom was the only one of us who did not enjoy her entree - but by the time I sniffed her plate, I was too stuffed to taste it. It certainly looked and smelled good. You can also see the fried plantains and steamed rice served with every entree in this photo.

gallery_21337_5609_47014.jpg

Boliche (Eye of Round Slowly Roasted in Herbs & Spices and Served with Gravy)

My husband decided to be a landlubber - this dish was fantastic - like Cuban pot roast. The meat was perfectly tender and the sauce most flavorful.

gallery_21337_5609_8822.jpg

Pescado Relleno (Snapper Filet Stuffed with Shrimp in Seafood-Cream Sauce)

This was my entree - I still can't believe that it was only $20 (and served with another full plate of plantains and rice, and a dish of black beans). The snapper was exquisitely fresh, as was the shrimp and bay scallops in the dish. This was the best dish I ate this trip, for sure!

There are additional pictures and stories on my blog!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

We've had enjoyable meals at 32 East on Atlantic when visiting. Though the plates do suffer from that more is better and I need to put lots of different accents on the plate Florida thing.

The Thai-ish place (Lemon Grass) farther east at 420 E. Atlantic is also fun and can surprise with some tasty fish.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Nancy,

I am going to check out the Cuban Café. I love the breaded steak that you can find a Cuban restaurants. It's not too far from where I live.

I will let you know what I think.

Thanks for the review!

-Scott

• 9 months later...

Looks like we may be back in the neighborhood again this winter - any new and exciting suggestions?

Also - my mom was wondering - do any restaurants in this vicinity serve fresh Pompano when it is in season (February)?

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food