• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where is all the soup in North New Jersey?

Batard

I tried a few of these places since I started this thread. First I went to The Daily Soup on Halsey in Newark. I found the soup pretty good, definitely home made and not over salty, but it was quite expensive. Which I would not mind paying, except the soup seems to be lacking the main ingredients. The Carribean Seafood Stew had chunks of potato, no seafood to be found. Senegalese Peanut w/Chicken was OK, but where's the chicken? And try to find the crab in the Boston Crab Chowder. I tried like 6 different soups. and they were al good, but very one dimensional in flavor.

The place called the Stock Pot in Montclair was very good. Besides the soups specials each day, they have about 10 different soups available frozen in quart containers. All the ones I tried were excellent. Apparently the owner's son makes all the soups. At any rate, I am very satisfied with their soups.

just thought I would pass that along. :)

Address please.

Address please.

Oh sorry:

Stockpot Inc

20 Church St

Montclair, NJ 07042-2770

Phone: 973-744-5503

Right next door to the Church Street Cafe.

Try the mulligatawny. :)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

• 3 weeks later...
Address please.

Oh sorry:

Stockpot Inc

20 Church St

Montclair, NJ 07042-2770

Phone: 973-744-5503

Right next door to the Church Street Cafe.

Try the mulligatawny. :)

Yum..One of my favorite soups!

I hate going to Church Street. It's always so hard to find parking in that area.

I hate going to Church Street.  It's always so hard to find parking in that area.

There is now a parking deck right behind Church Street...you can even cut through in between Raymond's and the store next to them to get directly on to Church St; it's very easy! There is also a muni lot on S. Fullerton, and another on the corner of Valley and Bloomfield (near Blu). I don't think I ever walk more than 3-4 blocks when I go to 'downtown' Montclair; between the lots and side streets, I always find a spot...but my friends have called me the Queen of Parking since I started driving, so I guess the Force is with me! Or something like that. :raz:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 1 month later...

Mara's in Denville (same owners as the one in Emerson mentioned upthread) makes terrific soups. I'm particularly fond of their Italian wedding soup, butternut squash bisque and Maryland crab.

My husband (eGulleter JVictor930!) is a confirmed Italian Wedding Soup aficionado, and he loved the takeout container of Mara's version I brought home for dinner. $9/quart and a bargain (especially if you've ever made it at home!)

Mara's Desserts Web site