• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry & Baking Cookbooks in 2008

gfron1

I just received an Amazon gc, so I searched for any new dessert and pastry books coming out in 2008, and here's some that got me curious (in order of preference):

Chocolate Epiphany: Exceptional Cookies, Cakes, and Confections for Everyone (Hardcover), by Francois Payard, Anne E. Mcbride

Decadent Desserts: Recipes from Vaux-le-Vicomte (Hardcover) by Cristina De Vogue , Thomas Dhellhemmes, Delphine De Montalier

The Pastry Chef's Companion: A Comprehnsive Resource Guide for the Baking and Pastry Professional by Glenn Rinsky, Laura Halpin Rinsky

The Modern Baker: Time-Saving Techniques for Breads, Tarts, Pies, Cakes and Cookies by Nick Malgieri

Ice Cream: From Cassata Semi-Freddo to Cider Apple Sorbet (The Small Book of Good Taste Series) by The Tanner Brothers

Italian Ice Cream: Gelato, Sorbetto, Granita and Semifreddi by Carla Bardi, Emilia Onesti

Advanced Bread and Pastry by Michel Suas

Any advanced news on these? Others that you're watching?

• 5 months later...

I didn't start a new topic, but I was wondering what people thought of the one month-old Chocolate Epiphany. I just saw it as a new arrival on our local bookstands. I took a peek inside and the photography looks great (lot of extreme close-ups), and I remember on some older topics here that Payard's previous book was generally well-received, so I'm pretty excited. Anyone bought it yet?

I feel a little strange buying a dessert book devoted to chocolate (I only bought Herme's book because it was on sale), but even if chocolate is harder to work with than fruits (not to mention fruits are healthier, even if it is in dessert), I find that chocolate desserts tend to be crowd-pleasers...

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

I haven't seen that one yet Mark, I'm kinda like you in that I don't own many chocolate-specific books but I'm interested in hearing what others think about it.

As for the original topic question that I somehow missed at the time, I preordered the "Frozen Desserts" book (Francisco Migoya) that's being put out by the C.I.A. later this summer so I kinda have to look forward to it. Hopefully it's good.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm hoping this is the year that Shirley Corriher finally publishes BakeWise.

MelissaH

Second the motion.

My first thought also. It's time for her to bring out the new book. The baking pages in my copy of her Cookwise book are worn out.

I haven't seen that one yet Mark, I'm kinda like you in that I don't own many chocolate-specific books but I'm interested in hearing what others think about it.

As for the original topic question that I somehow missed at the time, I preordered the "Frozen Desserts" book (Francisco Migoya) that's being put out by the C.I.A. later this summer so I kinda have to look forward to it. Hopefully it's good.

Tri2Cook - any update on Frozen Desserts? I heard of it the other day and it sounds like it may be interesting

• 1 month later...

Mine hasn't arrived yet. I'm going to be patient a little longer then give the place I ordered from a friendly reminder that I already paid for my copy a few months ago. Seems kinda silly to have preordered it now, it didn't give me a headstart on receiving it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I got "Frozen Desserts" from the publisher. It looks really great. Beautiful pictures, etc. A lot of the recipes are for complete plated desserts with a major component being the frozen item. So, this is great for restaurant pastry chefs.

There is discussion of using regular churn-style ice cream machines and the PacoJet. Also, this book doesn't discuss large batch ice cream making. It is more about small batch production for restaurant or home use. There is still some use of stabilizer mix, but most of the recipes don't have too many esoteric ingredients which I think was a complaint of the Michel Suas book (in his ice cream section).

Table of Contents:

1) Brief History of Frozen Desserts

2) Ingredients

3) Equipment, Machines and Tools

4) Dairy-Based Frozen Desserts

5) Non-Dairy Frozen Desserts

6) Aerated Still-Frozen Desserts

7) Finished Items

8) Base Recipes

Appendices, Index etc.

I got my copy of Frozen Desserts yesterday. Well worth the wait, I was up way later than I should have been reading through it.

Finally got Chocolate Epiphany. Just came from being gifted 5 cakes, so I haven't made anything yet, but it looks good.

Saw Decadent Desserts (recipes from Vaux-le-Vicomte). It is quite the coffee-table book. Huge full-page pictures of classic desserts in baroque backdrops, but the recipes themselves are pretty ordinary.

Also finally saw Advanced Bread and Pastry. That is some huge text (and I'm talking about the book itself and the typeface). Not the best-organized book I've seen. For multi-component gateaux they list the component but not the page number of where you can find the formula. Index isn't very helpful either.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

Also finally saw Advanced Bread and Pastry. That is some huge text (and I'm talking about the book itself and the typeface). Not the best-organized book I've seen. For multi-component gateaux they list the component but not the page number of where you can find the formula. Index isn't very helpful either.

Oh yes, that index! (or even those indices...)

Take "Bread Flour" for example.

Its a US book, so you could think that the "Bread Flour" that is specified in the (bread) formulas might mean typical US (high protein) bread flour.

So, if they really meant "bread flour with Less than 12% protein" they might:

1/ Make this very obvious because it seems somewhat unusual to call such flour "bread flour" in the USA. Or even 'asterisk' link to the definition.

2/ Or, at minimum, reference that definition/specification in the index.

They might have. But actually they didn't do any of that.

And yet they do explicitly specify the use of "low protein bread flour having approximately 11 to 12% protein" in the formulas. (If you happen to spot it rather than just opening the book at a formula.)

Its no problem at all -- after you know what they mean.

Hence I'm sure its no problem for students actually at SFBI.

But it is the sort of thing that really should be clearer in a self-study student textbook.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I got my copy of Frozen Desserts yesterday. Well worth the wait, I was up way later than I should have been reading through it.

OK, I'm convinced (not that it takes much convincing for me to buy a new book) and I've ordered Frozen Desserts from Amazon

• 3 weeks later...

Twiddling around half.com in baking books, I came across Baking Artisan Bread, 10 Expert Formulas for Baking Better Bread at Home by Ciril Hitz. Since he's such a great teacher, I would think it would be a great addition to the bread lovers library no matter how many bread books you may have. I'll have to check that one out.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I'm hoping this is the year that Shirley Corriher finally publishes BakeWise.

MelissaH

Second the motion.

On November 3, Bakers Dozen East is hosting an evening with Shirley Corriher. Yup,

demos, discussion, and the much anticipated unveiling of the book. I, for one, cannot

wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.onetoughcookienyc.com

• 3 months later...

Looked through this thread for any reports back on Francois Payard's Chocolate Epiphany: Exceptional Cookies, Cakes and Confections for Everyone.

Folks received it, but no one seems to have had anything to say about it.

I am considering buying it...but this whole area is new to me. I am seduced by the photos... :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Looked through this thread for any reports back on Francois Payard's Chocolate Epiphany: Exceptional Cookies, Cakes and Confections for Everyone. 

Folks received it, but no one seems to have had anything to say about it. 

I am considering buying it...but this whole area is new to me.  I am seduced by the photos... :wub:

Hi Darienne! I actually have a review of the book on mine and (eG member) lamington's site, on The Gastronomer's Bookshelf. Do write me if you have any questions! (Though the book is in Manila and I'm in New Jersey, it's pretty embedded in my mind.) I also made one of the recipes, which came out beautifully (see it here). I've heard plenty of good things about the flourless chocolate cookies too, which came out in the New York Times.

Mark

Hi Darienne! I actually have a review of the book on mine and (eG member) lamington's site, on The Gastronomer's Bookshelf. Do write me if you have any questions! (Though the book is in Manila and I'm in New Jersey, it's pretty embedded in my mind.) I also made one of the recipes, which came out beautifully (see it here). I've heard plenty of good things about the flourless chocolate cookies too, which came out in the New York Times.

Like so many good and innocent folks before me, I have gone Amazon wild and ordered five books last night.

"Truffles, Candies, and Confections: Techniques and Recipes for Candymaking"

Carole Bloom;

"Chocolate Obsession: Confections and Treats to Create and Savor"

Michael Recchiuti

"The Pie and Pastry Bible"

Rose Levy Beranbaum

"The Cake Bible"

Rose Levy Beranbaum

"Chocolate Epiphany: Exceptional Cookies, Cakes, and Confections for Everyone"

Francois Payard

So it is too late.... :sad:

However, I will go to your review and your photos and no doubt drool on the goodies.

Thanks. :smile:

I am dying to make the Chocolate Pastillas :wub::wub:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.