• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Renaissance Faire Garlic Mushrooms

lovkel

Hello,

I'm usually a lurker, but I have run across a problem that confounds me.

Have any of you been to the Renaissance Faire, specifically the one in Wisconsin? I don't know if other faires have the same recipe, but they probably do. At any rate, they serve this bowl of garlic mushrooms that is HUGELY popular with my family and I would like to make something like it.

I know it uses white button mushrooms and plenty of garlic and it has broth that is supposed to be soaked up with bread.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this? I appreciate any ideas/help you can give. Thanks.

Something like this?

8 lbs. mushrooms

2 qt. red wine vinegar

1 cup red wine

1/3 lb. fresh garlic, diced

1 bunch parsley, diced

1 qt. olive oil

salt

In a large, non-metal container, mix together the vinegar, wine, garlic, parsley, and a little salt. Rinse mushrooms & drain well; trim off ends of stems & any bad spots. Pack the mushrooms in airtight non-metal containers. Add marinade to about 1 1/2 inch from the top, then top with olive oil. Cover & refrigerate. Invert container once a day while storing, to distribute marinade evenly. Can be served after only a day, but it is better if it is older than 4 days.

Hope this helps!

The seasonings sound close, but the dish that I seek is served hot out of a huge kettle. Oh, and it also has onions in it (forgot to mention that). But thanks for trying. :biggrin: You post did give me some more ideas for where to search, unfortunately to no avail.

Thanks again.