• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The BC LDB Topic

Daddy-A

The "love/hate" relationship with the BC LDB is of course not something that we here in Alberta have to contend with anymore with the demise of the ALCB.

No question we have significantly more stores open for extended hours so from a convenience perspective matters have improved. No more long line-ups extending out into the parking lots like the "bad old days" of Christmas' past.

Selection has improved although a lot of the "ma & pa" stores essentially carry the same products that will "move". Service and expertise at some stores is outstanding. Mind you, if you lived in Edmonton and could get to the "flagship" ALCB outlet on 106th Street service, expertise [William Bincoletto, Ed Fong to name two] was top notch and was the inventory.

However privatization has not necessarily meant lower prices. Perhaps an abberation but increasingly I have seen big price differences between Ontario and Alberta. Sometimes I see this from comparisons in publications like Wine Access othertimes personal experience.

One example of this came to me this week-end. I had had the d'Arenberg Laughing Magpie Shiraz/Viognier recommended to me. It was about $41 to $46 at various stores [you do have to "shop around" in this city] and I picked one up.

Then Saturday as I was reading through the Style Section of The Globe & Mail I noticed Beppi Crosariol's wine column. One of his "picks" for Aussie wines was the same one I had picked up. However, its price in Ontario was a "jaw dropping" $25.95.

Even when taking into consideration some post-purchase adjustment upwards for GST/PST and recognizing the institutional buying power of the ON Liquor Board this seemed to me to be an extraordinary price differential.

I noted the same thing a few years back when the Petit Verdot from Pirramimma was first released. It was $30 + [has dropped to about $26] but when I saw it in an Oakville shopping centre outlet, the ON Liqour Board had it prices at $18.

I checked with the owner of the wine shop I usually go to and he confirmed that his wholesale price from the agent he had to buy from would no way permit that type of pricing. Same thing with the d'Arenberg which I was told had an agent price in the $30 + range.

So privatization is not necesarily a boon for the consumer.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you folks have a good selection of Ontario wines there?

Although I'm no oenophile I do enjoy a decent bottle from time to time and the few Ontario wines I've tried were underwhelming.

Maybe I'm missing the good stuff and my sampling hasn't been extensive.

Icewines abound but that's another story.

Following this with interest... we don't get nearly enough BC wines here in Ontario. I have been so impressed with those I've tried and recommended. Do you folks have a good selection of Ontario wines there?

Glad to hear from you Natalie!

My experience with Ontario wines is similar to yours with BC wines. I'm no oenophile either, but the only Ontario wine I can think of off the top is Jackson-Triggs.

My friends in TO rely on me to import their BC wines. Either that or they order on-line.

A.

Following this with interest... we don't get nearly enough BC wines here in Ontario. I have been so impressed with those I've tried and recommended. Do you folks have a good selection of Ontario wines there?

Natalie,

Having lived in Ontario for 2 years I can attest that vintages brings in decent B.C. wines. B.C., however, brings in little to no interesting Ontario wines. Such a shame.

Of note, LCBO carries Blue Mountain Wines in classics.

This is the entire list of Ontario wines currently available in the BCLDB as of January 4........ all ice wine????

413724 Chateau des Charmes - Riesling Icewine Paul Bosc Est 99/00 CA 375 59.99

565861 Chateau des Charmes - Vidal Icewine 00/01 CA 200 25.99

551085 Inniskillin Niagara - Vidal Icewine 99 & 01 CA 375 46.99

476192 Konzelmann - Vidal Icewine 98 & 00 CA 375 49.99

724559 Magnotta - Cabernet Franc Icewine 2000 CA 375 60.30

486779 Magnotta - Vidal Icewine 01/02 CA 375 40.27

606558 Magnotta - Vidal Icewine 01/02 CA 50 8.95

995761 Magnotta - Vidal Icewine 2000 Vqa Gift Pack CA 375 50.26

435727 Pillitteri Estate - Riesling Icewine 98 & 99 CA 200 25.10

561753 Pillitteri Estate - Vidal Icewine 1999 CA 50 7.49

453753 Willow Heights - Vidal Icewine 1999 CA 375 34.99

616391 Willow Heights - Vidal Icewine 2000 CA 50 8.20

This is the entire list of Ontario wines currently available in the BCLDB as of January 4........ all ice wine????

I think there is a problem on the BCLDB website - the printed product guide lists 6 Ontario Reds and 5 Whites and Cambie Street has confirmed stock on these products. Still not much of a representation but I wonder how many smaller Ontario producers are actively pursuing the BC marketplace?

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Natalie,

Having lived in Ontario for 2 years I can attest that vintages brings in decent B.C. wines. B.C., however, brings in little to no interesting Ontario wines. Such a shame.

Of note, LCBO carries Blue Mountain Wines in classics.

I'm a huge fan of Blue Mountain... just wish there was more to go around.

Natalie MacLean

Wine Newsletter Writer

www.nataliemaclean.com

I was just in the new Lennox wine store in City Square, and while I only had time for a quick scan, I see they have good representation of the Summerhill Pyramid Estates winery (whom I'm not promoting or anything, I just have been looking at them lately).

They carry the Cipes nonvintage Brut sparkling (which I just got a case of for my friend's wedding) but they charge quite a bit for it ($31 and change; I consider it quite a bit as I first had it at a restaurant for $28, and just bought it for $21.50 a bottle, delivered :hmmm:) but they have several other Summerhill wines I might try, although the froufy packaging is a bit off-putting for me. They have many other BC wines, too, including Burrowing Owl Sandhill Merlot, Cab Sauv (I think; there were three BOs? and I wasn't taking actual notes).

I thought there was a wine store thread (as in NOT LDB) but couldn't see it...hope it's OK to put this here. :unsure:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies