• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good food in Oxford?

We are a family from the USA staying in Oxford for schooling options. We would like to get some recommendations for good food, either at restaurants or good places to shop for food. We like everything and would like to find some good choices.

Thanks very much in advance! Cheers!

I just spent a week in Oxford and can recommend the covered market. There are three fantastic butchers there and the veg stand is excellent. You will also find that in general, the grocery stores like Saintsbury's will have very good produce and meats. While there I ate at a few restaurants, but I can only recommend the Petite Blanc - a French bistro that has reasonable wine prices and very good French bistro food. http://www.oxfordrestaurantguide.co.uk/le_petit_blanc/ For a very erudite pub experience I can recommend The Old Tom. I stopped in for beer a few times. It is a wonderful freehold pub full of Oxford students. Enjoy your stay.

Eric Christenson

Basel, Switzerland

echriste@mindspring.com

Hello

We live near Banbury, about 25 miles from Oxford and can confirm that there are many good places to eat in or near the city, although not cheaply! Brown's is good for a family meal, although always busy, and the Lemon Tree is excellent. The Cherwell Boathouse is lovely, right on the river and used to do a marvellous marmalade icecream! Gees has been around for ages and is very reliable.

If you can splash out, Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons in Great Milton is one of the best restaurants in the UK, if not the world - Raymond Blanc.

Otherwise, there are many pubs and Inns in the area which are excellent if you like the slightly more casual and relaxed atmosphere - the Trout at Godstow, the Star and the Talkhouse at Stanton St John, Mason's Arms at Swerford are all good, as is the Red Lion at Little Compton. One in Stow is the King's Head and for more wonderful river views and very English food try the Victoria Arms at Marston Ferry.

If you are based here for some time, as it sounds, I would recommend the Good Pub Guide - invaluable for country drives in the area! Hope that helps and do come back with your findings!

Sue

the Lemon Tree is excellent. 

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on that one. We went to the Lemon Tree in August and I wouldn't recommend it. The chef seemed to have a sugar fixation: one of the starters, both the main courses and the desserts were too sweet, and most of the dishes lacked balance.

I'd say avoid the Lemon Tree, but your other suggestions look good.

• 4 months later...

Let me revive this thread. Any recommendations in central or north Oxford - up as far as, say, Summertown or a little beyond? In years past, we've enjoyed Chiang Mai Kitchen and, up to a point, Gee's. Neither type of cuisine nor budget a major consideration, though we're not looking to spend Manoir aux Quat'Saisons prices.

Thanks, all.

If emsny (or anyone else) wants to experience a very good gastropub meal in an Oxfordshire village (albeit south west of Oxford) I would strongly recommend the White Hart in Fyfield (http://www.whitehart-fyfield.com/default.htm).

I had lunch there with the family on Saturday and we all found the quality of the food outstanding. Local sourcing, flavoursome dishes, efficient service from young staff with smiles on their faces in an historic building.

For me gastropubs rarely warrant the name but this one did.

Let me revive this thread. Any recommendations in central or north Oxford - up as far as, say, Summertown or a little beyond? In years past, we've enjoyed Chiang Mai Kitchen and, up to a point, Gee's. Neither type of cuisine nor budget a major consideration, though we're not looking to spend Manoir aux Quat'Saisons prices.

Thanks, all.

One place to try is the Summertown Wine Cafe. I haven't been there yet, and it doesn't do much in the way of food, but if Raymond Blanc recommends it then it can't be bad. (and I'm working a day or so each month in Summertown at the moment so I'll get around to dropping by at some point).

Hmm, I just looked at their website. That 'Nude bottle society' looks interesting, though I'm not sure how the offer of a chance at a parking space really fits in.

Thanks - the White Hart sounds terrific, but I don't think it's really practical for our purposes: just too far away. The idea was to walk to and from wherever we decide upon.

What about The Goose just outside Oxford? It has a decent reputation. Inside Oxford itself Raoul's Bar is worth visiting.. for the cocktails mainly.

If I am your princess, then where is my crown?

The Crazy Bear , Stadhampton amazing place 2 restaurants One French /English and downstairs Thai.Reception is a double decker bus etc ,will leave the rest a secret incase you go

Never trust a skinny Chef

Been a few years since I was up in Oxford so bear that in mind and defer to more recent posts.

But, Chiang Mai Kitchen, which has been mentioned was always good when I was there, still one of the best Thais I've been to.

Gee's is good, but pricey for what it is really, that said my interpretation of pricey may have changed since I was a student, so I say that with a little hesitation.

Aziz on the Cowley Rd used to be a really very good Indian, I assume its still there, indeed, looking at their website Aziz it seems that they've expanded into a convenient and lovely site by the river that used to be a quite good Italian whose name I'v forgotten. That river site by Folly Bridge is lovely if they've maintained their standards, certainly the restaurant in the rather less lovely Cowley Rd was excellent when I was there. Anyone know if its as good and whether the riverside version is as good?

Also mentioned above is Cherwell Boathouse, cherwell boathouse, this is a bit of a trek out of down but is certainly walkable, have done it many times. The food used to be simple and good with a very reasonable set price menu. Looking at the website that appears to remain the case. It also has an excellent and very reasonable winelist, with a lovely riverside setting.

There are also a lot of decent lebanese restaurants in Oxford, there's an all you can eat called Du Liban on Broad Street, but its not buffet, its actually pretty good. There was also a good lebanese on Park End Street, Al-Salam. There was also a much more cafe style place on George Street- Tarbouch, which was pretty good, (think Edgware Rd), and its also open late.

Hope some of that helps!

Edited by Iestyn (log)

Actually, Cherwell Boathouse might be just the ticket. The food, as I recall from a visit about four years ago, varies a lot, but it is unfailingly pleasant there on a nice evening. Not at all a trek - we'll be staying in north Oxford as it is.

I've got to recommend Al Shami 25 Walton Crescent as my complete favourite for eating out in Oxford. We go a couple of times a year, and stuff our faces with Meze starters, but never get around to the skewered mains. Great traditional desserts, really sweet, but prfecet when had with Lebanese coffee.

They also have a great selection of Chateau Musar, varoius vintages, and all for under £30 a bottle!

www.al-shami.co.uk

01865 310066.

And no, I don't work there. Would do if I got staff food from the menu though!!! :biggrin:

Edited by erica graham (log)

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, all.

One place to try is the Summertown Wine Cafe. I haven't been there yet, and it doesn't do much in the way of food, but if Raymond Blanc recommends it then it can't be bad. (and I'm working a day or so each month in Summertown at the moment so I'll get around to dropping by at some point).

Hmm, I just looked at their website. That 'Nude bottle society' looks interesting, though I'm not sure how the offer of a chance at a parking space really fits in.

We went to the Summertown Wine Café on Sunday for a tasting of the current monthly selection and then back again on Wednesday evening to help choose the wines for next month's selection! They've got a very nice selection of interesting wines (although one or two didn't really go down so well), and it's a really friendly place.