• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Presents for the Kitchen: 2010

Kerry Beal

Hubby is learning to follow instructions and bought me the fully adjustable, automatic ignition propane torch I requested for Christmas. Top of the line - he even says I can keep it upstairs and he'll only take it to his workshop when he needs it.

Given my issues with my new meat slicer he also added a chain mail glove to go with the Kevlar gloves from a couple of years ago. Lee Valley is a wonderful source of stuff for cooks.

So what goodies did everybody else get?

My first ever digital camera from DS. It's a Samsung L73; I wanted to be able to post pictures on the Dinner forum. So now it's gonna be practice, practice, practice. It's getting its' first charge as I type.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Since I've worked in cookware stores off and on for 10 years, no one ever gets me cookware or kitchen stuff for Christmas. I did, however, get a few things for myself this season:

• Two of these Gel-Pro mats for my horrible tile floor
  • Silicone cake pans for caramel (silicone is candy's best friend)
  • A new Infinity Conical Burr Grinder (I was waiting for my crappy old grinder to die, and it finally did -- perfect timing!)

A good year for me!

* Cuisinart Custom Pro 11-Cup Stainless Steel Food Processor

* A really nice Japanese Donabe Pot

* Two Korean stone pot covered casseroles for making Jigae, etc.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I received...

one chrome, beehive Oster blender- my blender from the seventies (!) finally died,

and one red, enameled cast-iron Chantal dutch oven.

Christmas margaritas and chicken and dumplin's for all! :biggrin:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I got:

1) A Shun Classic chef's knife!

2) A set of Rosle stainless nesting mixing bowls

3) A cool new Pugeot pepper mill--it's clear acrylic with a bright orange top

4) A madeleine pan (Dorie's got all those madeleine recipes in Baking From My Home to Yours that I'm keen to try and now I'm all set)

- Granite mortar and pestle - been wanting this for years

- Deep fat fryer

- One of those pans with an inset to make perfectly round poached eggs

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

A $30 kitchen fan...only been waiting 10 years for it...I've been asking for it so long that my husband actually fooled himself into thinking that we'd already replaced it once and that I was asking for ANOTHER one!!!

But the real gift was that he crawled up there and bashed the rusted-in, gunked over screws on the old one into submission all by himself, and installed the new one for me.

:wub:

A mandolin,  A MANDOLIN!  Finally I got a MANDOLIN.  Santa likes me.  He really really likes me!

Hope he brought you a guard with it to prove he really really likes you with your fingers just the way they are.

I got Ken Shun boning knife, Viking food processor and a Kitchen Aid 600 in black. My kitchen aid is so old that it says, Hobart on it. Also got 4 new cookbooks.

Jane

PS. Tip with the mandolin use a tea towel when cutting saves your fingers and it's the right size.

-a tart pan with removable bottom

-little ramekins for custard

-big ramekins for pot-pie

and a NEW! TOASTER! (The old one liked to grab the bread and pull it into the bottom of the slot, beyond the reach of knives [unplug! unplug!] or tongs. The other week I was banging it against the counter, the floor, the sink... My husband finally put it out of our misery.)

Plus Judith Jones's memoir.

And I gave him a package of pork products from Zingerman's. :wub:

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

My 22 year old gas range had an oven that never was any good, even when it was working. I had to keep moving things around to compensate for hot and cool spots. For the past two years the oven has not worked at all. This Christmas, I bought myself a Jenn-Air. 5 burner, dual fuel, double oven range with convection setting. It was hooked up on Christmas Eve. :biggrin:

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)

Santa must have mixed up his naughty and nice list, because I got

- a Thermapen (yea!)

- plate warmer

- Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques (book AND DVD)

- The Making of a Chef

- a lovely crystal serving bowl

- electric waffle cone maker

- The Best International Recipe (Cook's Illustrated)

Plus I bought myself a Mario Batali enameled cast iron 4 quart DO in Penne ($24.99 on amazon.com + free shipping). It looks perfect on my cooktop.

My daughter sent me a signed copy of Alice Waters' new book, "The Art of Simple Food."

I also received several gift cards for various cooking stores.

(My friends say I am an "impossible" giftee.)

I believe I will retire my ancient Bron mandoline and try one of the fancy new ones.

A friend and neighbor, who is a weaver, gave me four beautiful tea towels. She included a note that I must use them and not just put them in a drawer.

I also received a rather extravagant tin of caviar from friends who are on a round-the-world cruise and the gift was a complete surprise. I don't even know how to contact them as they are purposely incommunicado during this "second honeymoon" trip.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Only one kitchen gift this year, but it was a doozy. A 3-quart All Clad sauce pan and double boiler insert. I've been using a hand-me-down double boiler that held about three cups of liquid safely and had tiny plastic handles that seemed to become twice the temperature of the food inside the pan.

Between the wedding three years back and recent holidays, we're slowly replacing college hand-me-downs with proper cookware.

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches