• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TV Chef Schizophrenia

spqr

As for Martha, it hurts, but I too must give her much credit for her success.

...and I'm sure she would be the first to agree with you.

She does seems to be able to attract first-rate guests. I haven't seen Alice Waters hob-nobbing with Rachael Ray lately.

But Martha can't help condescending, even to Ms Waters.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Personal Fave FoodTV Chefs:

Ming Tsai seems to do some good honest explanations with his TV Shows, plus he brings in guest chefs that he doesn't just toss over to the side.

Mario always seems upfront about what he does

Alton Brown.... Well, I'm from a scientific background so I really do appreciate when he starts going "in too deep" with his explanations and has to stop (sounds like what I'd do if I was tossed in front of an audience and expected to explain stuff....) *worship*

Tony Bourdain... Honestly is refreshing, especially when you don't like something (at least you get a description of how bad something is, unlike a certain *cough* Keith Famey who just says "this is really bad" or "really good" and not really explaining why it's such)

Emeril... Seems to try for lots of attention, less education than when he first started (which was the big attraction)

Martha... Seems too good to be true

Wolfgang... Seems like an Emeril wanna-be, don't really like his presentation style

Gail Gand... Seems to be slightly aggravated, like there's always a bunch of annoying kids bugging her behind the set.... sorta on-edge all the time

Rachel Ray... She's cute, but seems to be on too much caffeine/sugar/speed/something

Guess I'd better stop before this starts a flame war...

*grabs fire extinguisher and sprays himself down*