• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

strange but true I am not eating enough!

christine007

Oh I know you are female, i was just making an outside reference in no way implying you are a man or acting like a man.

You may be surprised that if you start eating correctly (not saying your diet is horrible) that you will have energy even into the time you want to sleep. energy is not an enemy of sleep, improper diet and incorrect neurotransmission is. You can go to bed every night with energy but at the same time mentally exhausted/relaxed and ready for rest to go on to the next day.

Try eating this way for a week or two, you may find it stimulating you all the way until your bed time.

I must declare the the advice I give you is not a universal diet, there is no such thing. It is only to your specific routine. I think we should pay a little more attention to how we live our lives and what kind of fuel is needed and when. everyone is different, and we change ourselves quite often throughout life.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Based on personal experience I think beer and barbeque will fix your problem. Now I just need to start working in a car wash to get rid of the effects of too much beer and barbeque.

Damn I have wished my entire life that I would go to the Doc and he would tell me that I needed to put on 10 lbs. Never has happened and I doubt it ever will.

Oh I know you are female, i was just making an outside reference in no way implying you are a man or acting like a man.

You may be surprised that if you start eating correctly (not saying your diet is horrible) that you will have energy even into the time you want to sleep.  energy is not an enemy of sleep, improper diet and incorrect neurotransmission is.  You can go to bed every night with energy but at the same time mentally exhausted/relaxed and ready for rest to go on to the next day.

Try eating this way for a week or two, you may find it stimulating you all the way until your bed time.

I must declare the the advice I give you is not a universal diet, there is no such thing.  It is only to your specific routine.  I think we should pay a little more attention to how we live our lives and what kind of fuel is needed and when.  everyone is different, and we change ourselves quite often throughout life.

Oh, I hear you, honey

the other issue is am in AA and trying to stay sober.But booze does not happen to enter the picture. there are are tons of different foods you can consume that are not booze related that can help.

---------------------------------------

hi there - although I am not quite as physically active as you, I too have had a significant (25 pound) weight drop in the last year and it seems I just can't take in enough calories. Here are a few things that seem to be helping me stabilize (I DO NOT want to lose any more weight - I am 5'11" and weigh just under 130 pounds now!).

Ok, first of all, lay off the diet coke while you're working unless it's caffeine-free. Caffeine is a diuretic. Drink even more water (I drink 3 liters a day, easy), drink juice, which has the added benefit of calories. Also, try to avoid those frozen and prepackaged meals, they tend to be high in sodium...also a diuretic. You need to avoid dehydration with all that physical labor! Mild dehydration could also be a cause of your not feeling hungry in the evening, in addition to the exhaustion.

Second, don't try to eat three big meals a day (I TOTALLY understand about that feeling that your stomach capacity has diminished!), try to eat five or even six smaller ones. Just snack all day, and make sure they are "long" snacks, which is to say heavy on protein and complex carbohydrates. Hard boiled eggs are great, so are nuts and dried fruits. Add some peanut butter to your celery (or even egg salad, egg salad on celery sticks is delicious). Oatmeal in the morning is perfect, so is peanut butter toast. cook a steak, slice it up and put it in a big salad or make a steak sandwich and stick it in the fridge to eat when you get home - feels nice and light with all the veggies, but you're still getting some protein.

I agree about getting to a nutritionist, but in the meantime, get thee to the library and read up on what, how often and how much athletes eat, because that is what you are becoming!

Congrats on your newfound muscles! Isn't it fun to feel like you look FABULOUS???

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

hi there - although I am not quite as physically active as you, I too have had a significant (25 pound) weight drop in the last year and it seems I just can't take in enough calories.  Here are a few things that seem to be helping me stabilize (I DO NOT want to lose any more weight - I am 5'11" and weigh just under 130 pounds now!).

Ok, first of all, lay off the diet coke while you're working unless it's caffeine-free.  Caffeine is a diuretic.  Drink even more water (I drink 3 liters a day, easy), drink juice, which has the added benefit of calories.  Also, try to avoid those frozen and prepackaged meals, they tend to be high in sodium...also a diuretic.  You need to avoid dehydration with all that physical labor!  Mild dehydration could also be a cause of your not feeling hungry in the evening, in addition to the exhaustion.

Second, don't try to eat three big meals a day (I TOTALLY understand about that feeling that your stomach capacity has diminished!), try to eat five or even six smaller ones.  Just snack all day, and make sure they are "long" snacks, which is to say heavy on protein and complex carbohydrates.  Hard boiled eggs are great, so are nuts and dried fruits. Add some peanut butter to your celery (or even egg salad, egg salad on celery sticks is delicious).  Oatmeal in the morning is perfect, so is peanut butter toast.  cook a steak, slice it up and put it in a big salad or make a steak sandwich and stick it in the fridge to eat when you get home - feels nice and light with all the veggies, but you're still getting some protein. 

I agree about getting to a nutritionist, but in the meantime, get thee to the library and read up on what, how often and how much athletes eat, because that is what you are becoming!

Congrats on your newfound muscles!  Isn't it fun to feel like you look FABULOUS???

K

LOL, you're not as stuck up bitch as I am! :laugh:

I don't feel I look fabulous, I know it! Off topic, the guys will knock my male partner at work over to tip ME.

You are correct! The three squares a day are no longer an option. And yup, I need to have food I can keep in my uniform pocket to munch on while putting the cars through the tunnel.

Congrats on your weight loss, I have seen your pic and read your blog and you Are a piece of Ass! :smile:

Update.

I seem to have passed over the hump, so to speak.

I did a six hour shift yesterday, and in between cars we were jogging amd dancing.

I didn't get the chance to eat before I left, but in that six hours, I drank six cans of fruit juice, ate four white castle sliders, two packages of peanuts, some meatloaf I stole from my boss when he wasn't looking, and a slice of apple pie.

I found out from my Dr. the reason I am not hungry when I get home is because my metabolism is busy putting my muscles in "shutdown" mode.

But I fell asleep at ten pm, woke up and six am and can honestly say, for the first time, not one damn thing on my person hurts.

Dr. also said power walking/jogging in my boots is exactly what I should do on my days off.

I have already eaten an english muffin with cheese, another one with a butter fried egg, and I'm eyeing a six pack of granola bars as we speak.

I was asked for my hand in marriage yesterday, had another two guys give me the hey baby, what you doing? line, and I have not even yet had the chance to get clothes that aren't two sizes too large/ this is going to get interesting when I am drying off cars in clothes that showcase my new bod. :cool::wub:

MyBF has informed me that, many, many men are turned on by a woman doing a man's job, and personally would really enjoy an off topic, inappropriate time with a female cop. :shock:

Look for me to be married again this time next year. :laugh:

I also stocked up on bottle water, low sodium snacks, and nuts I can keep on my person.

I have to thank you all again, I knew you loving, kind people would help.

I will keep you updated on my adventures in car drying!!!!

One final update, and only to help you truly understand what happend.

I finally went clothes shopping. the size six jeans fit/ snug.

so I got eights. small eights.

then I saw this coat I had to have, and due to my enlarged shoulders, upper arms and back, I had to get it in a plus size..... :shock::shock:

Just a thought, but have you had your thyroid checked? Weight loss, anxiety, and a need to burn off energy are common symptoms of hyperthyroidism.

My Doctor said that he thought about that, but then talked to a doc who works with The Cleveland Browns who's he's friends with and he said he sees the same thing in the new football players.

I'm not really anxious per say? more like physically craving the need to move around, and it's most likely my enorphins (spelling?) trying to adjust to my new level of activiy.

he'll order the test if I'm not better come Feb.

Thanks again!

I think your Doc is a dweeb. It's a simple blood test. Thyroid issues commonly show at your age and it should be checked as a regular maintenance thing anyhow.

Update.

I seem to have passed over the hump, so to speak.

I did a six hour shift yesterday, and in between cars we were jogging amd dancing.

I didn't get the chance to eat before I left,

but in that six hours, I drank six cans of fruit juice, ate four white castle sliders, two packages of peanuts, some meatloaf I stole from my boss when he wasn't looking, and a slice of apple pie.

I found out from my Dr. the reason I am not hungry when I get home is because my metabolism is busy putting my muscles in "shutdown" mode.

But I fell asleep at ten pm, woke up and six am and can honestly say, for the first time, not one damn thing on my person hurts.

Dr. also said power walking/jogging in my boots is exactly what I should do on my days off.

I have already eaten an english muffin with cheese, another one with a butter fried egg, and I'm eyeing a six pack of granola bars as we speak.

I was asked for my hand in marriage yesterday, had another two guys give me the hey baby, what  you doing? line, and I have not even yet had the chance to get clothes that aren't two sizes too large/ this is going to get interesting when I am drying off cars in clothes that showcase my new bod.  :cool:  :wub:

MyBF has informed me that, many, many men are turned on by a woman doing a man's job, and personally would really enjoy an off topic, inappropriate time with a female cop. :shock:

Look for me to be married again this time next year. :laugh:

I also stocked up on bottle water, low sodium snacks, and nuts I can keep on my person.

I have to thank you all again, I knew you loving, kind people would help.

I will keep you updated on my adventures in car drying!!!!

One must eat before one goes to work. End of story.

ASAP, put some to go meals in the cupboard, like protein bars. Buy some nuts and have them pre-bagged ready to grab out of the frige. No excuses.

signed,

Mother Hen.

PS. Love sliders!

I did some online research. The average woman of my age and height wears a sixteen/eighteen.

I'm on eight on the bottom and A ten on the top because of all the new muscle.

Good for you for dropping whatever excess weight you thought you had and being fitter. I just have to point out that you can't really judge how "thin" (or for that matter, how healthy) a person is by clothing size, since brands size differently. Have you checked your BMI? I know it's flawed and doesn't work for people with huge amounts of muscle (like body builders), but you can use it as a rough guideline if you'd like. :smile:

ETA: Oops, this is Ling posting. Forgot to log out.

Edited by hhlodesign (log)

Good for you for dropping whatever excess weight you thought you had and being fitter. I just have to point out that you can't really judge how "thin" (or for that matter, how healthy) a person is by clothing size, since brands size differently.  :smile:

Plus most brands size their clothing differently now than they did even 10 years ago. I wear a size 8 in a particular brand, but I'm nowhere near being able to fit into their size 8 jeans I bought 10 years ago. :sad: Clothing size and weight--neither are particularly good indicators of thinness or health.

Christine--you mentioned needing more ideas for beverages. I sometimes bring a thermos of milk and some protein powder (whey powder, I think) to work if I'm planning to go to the gym. After working out, I dump in the protein powder, give the thermos a quick shake, and I'm good for an after-workout protein fix. In your case, it would give you added calories, too (you can probably use water and flavoured mix like chocolate, if you don't care for milk too much). There are also other permutations of such powders--like protein:carb blends, etc.

I was also going to add info about the protein powders. I used to make a shake in the morning in the blender (I bought a blender that had a drink cup attachment so I could just blend and go). Many brands have drinks/bars to go.

I know my brother used to use something called weight gainer - also a protein powder. Not sure how nutritious it is.

Also one more suggestion that worked for my brother - buy Ensure, the chocolate ones, in the can, and make a chocolate milkshake with milk, chocolate ice cream and one small can ensure. Like a charm, it works.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Thanks to all! Yes, you totally called it, I'm drinking chocolate milk, Insure and milkshakes and it really does help! I feel better instantly.

I know clothing size to vary, but so far, and remember, I'm new at this, I'm consistant in the eight, I can't afford good scales right now, But remaining in the eight is a way to let me know, I'm neither too fat, nor to thin.Does that make sense?

I have to be really, and I mean really, careful with my money, for at least the next nine months or so. So your suggestions are all the more helpful, and I'm going to price protein powders over the weekend..

you all rock, you really have helped! :wub:

I have to be really, and I mean really, careful with my money, for at least the next nine months or so.  So your suggestions are all the more helpful, and I'm going to price protein powders over the weekend..

you all rock, you really have helped! :wub:

If you have a bulk food store near you, look there for unflavoured protein powders. You'll find either whey protein isolate or whey protein concentrate. I can't remember the differences between the two. But it will be much much cheaper than buying ready-made flavoured powders, and then you can do your own thing with it. If you drink mostly chocolate milk, anyway, you can just add the powder to that and you'll have a chocolate-flavoured protein drink!

I was also going to add info about the protein powders. I used to make a shake in the morning in the blender (I bought a blender that had a drink cup attachment so I could just blend and go). Many brands have drinks/bars to go.

I know my brother used to use something called weight gainer - also a protein powder. Not sure how nutritious it is.

Weight gainers (like Muscle Milk to mention a brand) are basically protein powder with a carb mix (maltodextrine, dextrose, etc) and vitamins designed to let you get a lot of calories in liquid form (so your stomach empties quickly)

They do the job, but the general consensus on the workout forums i post on and among the lifters I know is that it's best to get as much as you can from "real" food before you start looking at gainer formulas for calories (Due to fiber, nutrient balance, etc)

That said, whey protein shakes might be a good thing to keep around for a "pick me up" in the afternoon (i make mine with whey and water for after workouts, but as an energy boost you could whiz whey, water or milk, and oatmeal in the blender) but i'd note that if you make one ahead of time, keep it cold or it can go "off."

However if you have a cold water source, it's easy to take the powder in a baggie and mix it up right there. A 70 serving jar (5# or so) of protein runs in the neighborhood of 35 bucks online, joints like GNC will sometimes be more or less expensive.

There are zillions of awesome protein bar recipes on the internet that use things like whey, dried fruit, natural peanut butter, almonds and Kashi cereal.

Re: isolate vs concentrate, isolates are a more pure source (less fats and sugars per serving) but more expensive than concentrate. The product that I'm using currently is a mixture of the two (as are many nowadays, with concentrate being the major component)

Most of the things I wanted to say about "real" food have been said already, but I'll note a few things again and maybe add some new ones: As far as carbs, oatmeal is your friend, so are sweet potatoes. Cottage cheese, eggs, and canned tuna (the regular kind, not albacore) are fantastic (and often overlooked) protein sources. Almonds or some other nut are nutritious and energy filled.

Wow, that got a lot longer than I had intended :huh: