• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clotilde's Very Chocolate Cookies

stuart_s

So, I'm also making Clotilde's Very Chocolate Cookies. Cocoa powder, cocoa nibs, dark chocolate and chocolate extract. I'm excited about using the chocolate extract. But I have a couple questions about some of the other ingredients.

First, the cocoa powder. As you can see the recipe calls for Dutch process cocoa powder. Whole Foods didn't have any so I went web surfing and read that you could substitute regular cocoa powder with some baking powder. I was pecking away at my phone in the market so I wasn't inclined to check several different websites but now I'm worried that trusting the first and only website I checked which was chosen purely at random may not be the best strategy. Given this specific recipe, what would the effects be of using cocoa powder with baking powder? What about just plain regular cocoa powder? Should I try to find some dutch process?

So, these cocoa nibs? I tried some. Let's just say I don't think they're addictive. Are they going to integrate themselves into a wonderful chocolate harmony or did I buy something weird? They're El Rey roasted nibs and the recipe didn't mention anything about roasting. Will this make my product worse, just different or is this what I was looking for in the first place?

Thanks again.

As far as cocoa, read THIS topic on dutch cocoa if you haven't already. Then, I'd go back to WF and check again - unless they said they sold out. It took me over two years of searching for a supplier for my store before I realized that I could have had it all along. Many of the dutch processed cocoas don't label that way on the front - thus leaving less informed store clerks thinking they don't have it. The two most common brands found in the US are Droste and Rademaker (both the exact same product - just different boxes). Callebaut has some too but I haven't been able to find that except in bulk.

With nibs - I've stopped using them in lieu of Domori roasted beans that are processed. Those beans are addictive and I think they have an even better texture.

• 2 weeks later...
As far as cocoa, read THIS topic on dutch cocoa if you haven't already.  Then, I'd go back to WF and check again - unless they said they sold out.  It took me over two years of searching for a supplier for my store before I realized that I could have had it all along.  Many of the dutch processed cocoas don't label that way on the front - thus leaving less informed store clerks thinking they don't have it.  The two most common brands found in the US are Droste and Rademaker (both the exact same product - just different boxes).  Callebaut has some too but I haven't been able to find that except in bulk.

With nibs - I've stopped using them in lieu of Domori roasted beans that are processed.  Those beans are addictive and I think they have an even better texture.

I decided that you can't have too much cocoa and bought some Droste Dutch process cocoa. Is there some reason that Whole Foods wouldn't sell it? Do they consider "Dutching" the chocolate to be unnatural?

I used the nibs but I'll definitely try to do something with those beans at some point. Thanks for the suggestions.

Anyway, I liked the cookies. Others seemed to like them but who knows whether they're just being nice. They were crunchy? Were they supposed to be crunchy? My oven temperature isn't very reliable and I cooked all of my cookies for longer - sometimes much longer - than was suggested in the recipes.

gallery_23209_2900_465560.jpg