• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW] Tre Wilcox to leave Abacus

jsmeeker

Abacus Chef de Cuisine and Top Chef season 3 contestant Tre Wilcox will be leaving Abacus to pursue other interests.

http://eats.beloblog.com/archives/2007/12/tre_speaks.html

Can't wait to see what he does when he gets into a new restaurant. Probably, his own place. I think he would be great on TV, too.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Abacus Chef de Cuisine and Top Chef season 3 contestant Tre Wilcox will be leaving Abacus to pursue other interests.

Can't wait to see what he does when he gets into a new restaurant.  Probably, his own place.  I think he would be great on TV, too.

Describe one of your most recent creations.

I was playing with the idea of eggs and bacon. It was a soft-scrambled Maple Leaf duck egg with shaved black truffles and crispy pork belly with balsamic honey. I didn’t sell one. I couldn’t get anybody to go with it.

I had this dish just before Thanksgiving. So, he sold at least one.

I had this dish just before Thanksgiving.  So, he sold at least one.

AND? :biggrin:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Can't wait to see what he does when he gets into a new restaurant.  Probably, his own place.   I think he would be great on TV, too.

Describe one of your most recent creations.

I was playing with the idea of eggs and bacon. It was a soft-scrambled Maple Leaf duck egg with shaved black truffles and crispy pork belly with balsamic honey. I didn’t sell one. I couldn’t get anybody to go with it.

I had this dish just before Thanksgiving. So, he sold at least one.

It was good. I have a picture of it some place. I need to dig it out and get it up to image gullet. The egg part was very rich and creamy. TOO rich for a starter? I dunno. Possibly. My main course was scallops that night.

I know it was soft scrambled duck egg and pork belly. It probably had truffle in it. Not sure about the rest of the components, so it may have not been the IDENTICAL dish Tre names in the interview, but it wasn't it was very, very similar

• 6 months later...
How has Abacus been doing since Wilcox's departure?

Haven't been back yet. Haven't seen recent reviews, either. But they have renovated the restaurant recently. It would be good to go just to see what it looks like now.