• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

early, simple, excellent food in New Brunswick

Shmily

Not high-falutin', of course, but on my last trip to the State we stopped at the Colonial Diner on Rt. 18, just a few miles outside downtown and practially a straight shot in, and were pleased. The ne plus ultra of Jersey diner food, at least a few years ago when we were there. And the salad bar had herring!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I might not call it simple, but check out SoHo On George. Great atmosphere, excellent food. It's not too far from the theatre either. If you are looking for something a notch or two down, then look at Cyldz.

Eric

Edited by ELA (log)

Not high-falutin', of course, but on my last trip to the State we stopped at the Colonial Diner on Rt. 18, just a few miles outside downtown and practially a straight shot in, and were pleased. The ne plus ultra of Jersey diner food, at least a few years ago when we were there. And the salad bar had herring!

thanks as always...interesting thought...

:smile:

I might not call it simple, but check out SoHo On George. Great atmosphere, excellent food. It's not too far from the theatre either. If you are looking for something a notch or two down, then look at Cyldz.

Eric

Dear Eric...Thanks for the suggestions...Cyldz is a new one for me..will check out both... :smile::smile:

What route are you taking to New Brunswick, Shmily? If you're coming up/down Rt 287, you can hit the new Amazing Hot Dog in Bound Brook...or eat at Wegmans in Bridgewater (they have a 'cafe' upstairs where you can eat food from their prepared department...there are also a few places along Easton Avenue in Somerset as well. Let us know; maybe we can offer some other ideas.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Friday night, New Brunswick, pre-theatre -- you got some nice places you can hit. Of course everyone has their own likes, dislikes, styles and speeds, but for me I'd rather step outside the diner, prepared foods, etc. environment.

Don't get me wrong, if that's what you like -- do it and enjoy!

Eric

Flying under the radar is a lovely French bistro about 8 minutes from downtown NB, Sophie's Bistro.

Don't get fooled by the outside, it occupies a former bowling alley, but inside, Voila! YOu might just be in Paris!! Lovely knick nacks only available in France, this cute little place serves some wonderful food at reasonable prices. Even have burgers and steak sandwiches, if you don't want a full dinner. Frites are awesome. Highly recommended.

http://www.sophiesbistro.net/

Edited by menton1 (log)