• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Shopping on the Ile St-Louis

John Talbott

A few days ago, someone asked me if there was much to do on the Ile St-Louis; well Seth Sherwood overheard and published a piece in today's NYT called "Down Sybarites Alley," that included Jean-Paul Gardil's butcher shop (esp for Parma ham on the bone), La Petite Scierie for duck products, La Ferme St-Aubin for cheese, L'Epicerie for mustard, jam and such and Cacao et Chocolat for chocolate.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

On our first trip to Paris, we shopped at L'Epicerie (which had been written up in Saveur's year-end top 100 issue), and brought home some great mustards and jams - it's worth a detour, even if you're not on the Ile St-Louis.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Also the boulangerie in the rue des deux ponts is quite good. Their pain au chocolat in particular is very perfect, airy but tasty, a nice contrast of textures between the crust and the inside. Really great, actually. Not to mention the most adventurous may cross the bridges through the ile de la cité and reach for the Maubert jungle.