• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desserts by the Yard - Sherry Yard

The Naughti Literati

I picked this up last night, it is SUCH a beautiful book. Having bought Dorie's book on Wednesday night, I thought about it and had to double back for this one and I don't think I'll need another baking book ever again in life! If you haven't seen this book, you must go and check it out at once!

It's a fun narrative of her life in pastry beginning with her childhood in Brooklyn and her stints at great restaurants along her journey to where she is today (Spago). Each recipe has a little anecdote and it really reads like a memoir with fabulous recipes and a picture for almost every one. The pictures will take your breath away! They range from simple things like lemon ices reminiscent of the ones she had as a child in Brooklyn, to her version of Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies (mmm....) to some of the decadent dessets she made for the Oscars.

gallery_50757_5528_11819.jpg

My question though, is substituting bananas. I don't really like them, and definitely not in my desserts (at least I'm not alone, having read that "Foods You're Supposed to Like" thread. LOL

For instance, there's a Banana Chocolate Chip Souffle Mountain recipe that looks amazing; would I be able to substitute white chocolate chips and strawberries instead? Same question for the banana brulee. I hope one of you experts already has or will get this book so I can see some of your creations! I will post mine hopefully next week. In the meantime, I am content to keep reading that Dorie Greenspan thread!

Edited by The Naughti Literati (log)

I checked this book out at the library first, just to see if I wanted to get it and I ended up ordering it. It does have great pictures and a lot of fun recipes. To me, half the fun of the book is knowing that some of these recipes may have been made in very famous venues and served to very famous people.

I actually worked at one event that was catered by Wolfgang Puck's catering team and what an amazing thing to be a part of. The restaurant I was working for had their own thing (if I remember correctly, a ton of restaurants did the hors d'oeuvres and then we all chipped in to plate the actual meal which was all Wolfgang Puck). Unfortunately Sherry Yard wasn't present, but we did plate her dessert (for over 1000 people). Then I got Wolfgang to autograph my chef jacket (which I just threw away the other day...) :smile:

I'll take a look at the recipes you're referring to and at least give you an opinion regarding substitutions! If you're experienced at all in making desserts, you've probably got some instincts with regard to subbing ingredients. I wouldn't worry too much about fruit and stuff as that's just flavoring components.

I've got SOME experience, but not nearly as much as some of you in this forum seem to have! I asked my boyfriend who is a chef if he baked at all, and he said, "I bake CHICKENS." He wants no part of it, and he hates sweets cause he ate too many of them as a child in India. And all those rasgollas and burfis, etc stuff are sweeeeeet, so I understand. :laugh:

Thanks for your help, I like the way you describe the fruits as just flavoring components, that makes it easier to have fun experimenting with my own twists. I can only imagine how exciting working that event was!

Here are some of the recipes I thought were cool, and the pictures...sheesh!!!!!:

Charlotte Russe (the cover photo)

Zeppoli (Italian doughnuts)

Rainbow Room Chocolate Souffle (funny story behind that one about having to get it from a different floor without having it fall before it reached the table)

Coffee Stracciatela Ice Cream (I need an ice cream maker now, my mom would LOVE this!)

Pain Perdu with Concord Grape Poached Pears

Souffleed Creme Fraiche Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce (inspired by her trip to Austria)

President Clinton's Oatmeal Cookies (created when she learned he couldn't eat chocolate)

Chocolate Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Gelato

Honey-glazed Spago Corn Bread

Mango Pudding

Doggy Treats (created for her dog and doggie guests of The Campton Hotel, says to serve with a big bowl of Fiji Water :laugh: )

Forbidden Rice Pudding (saw that in Dorie's book - beautiful photo in this one!)

Yuzu Lemon-lime Meringue Pie

Pistachio Gelato with Deep, Dark, Decadent Doughnuts

Lime-scented Floating Islands with Yuzu Curd Ice Cream

ETA: I lied, now I want The Secrets of Baking too. LOL

Edited by The Naughti Literati (log)

You've peaked my interest...I've got it on reserve at the library.

BTW, your baking book collection is just beginning. Once you begin it's pretty hard to stop. Before you know it you'll have a whole shelf of beautiful books. :rolleyes:

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I passed on Secrets of Baking, but snatched this book up. I agree that there are lots of wonderful-sounding recipes -- I will definitely be trying the thin mints once I get my hands on some peppermint oil and the Twix bars, as well. She also has a version of Claudia Roden's famous flourless orange almond cake which I've been thinking about making. I might even try her chocolate chip cookies and brownies, recipes for which usually make me let out a big fat yawn in a new cookbook. I got a bit bored by the name-dropping towards the end of the book, but, whatever, the recipes are what I bought it for!

CanadianBakin' (what a great name!!) - You were right...today I lured my boyfriend into Barnes & Noble by reminding him that The Bourne Ultimatum was out on DVD. He offered to get me The Secrets of Baking if I let him watch his new movie in peace. :laugh: I'm extremely happy with these three for now though!! You'll love Desserts by the Yard, I hope you get it soon!

Mukki - I think what got me were the Amazon reviews for The Secrets of Baking, I didn't see it the other night but had to go for a look. I love the way it's organized; for someone who doesn't do a lot of baking like myself, it makes it so much less daunting and easier to be creative! I'm really looking forward to reading this one as well and tinkering with recipes from both.

I want to make almost EVERYTHING in this new book, but I'll start with something simple. That White Chocolate-Buttermilk and Strawberry Cake is just *calling* me though. I have a few more hours to decide, and boy are the choices stupefying!

Oh man, I passed this book up for Peter Grewling's chocolate and confections, but now I have to go back for it!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child