• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brix vs. Baume

thebaker

My new job requires that I make sorbets,

I want to start creating my own formulas, I have been reading the professional pastry chef by friberg and in the sorbet section all the recipes talk about Baume,

What is the difference between Brix and Baume are they interchangeable can I use a refractometer to check baume and vica versa or do I need to get a baume hydrometer as well?

Any information would be helpful

Thanks

I bake there for I am....

Make food ... not war

I think there's a formula but I don't remember what it is...

However, there is often a conversion table in the back of confectioner books e.g. Chocolates and Confections by Grewling.

Also, online conversion is possible: Online Brix / Baume Conversion

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

• 6 years later...

Hi all :)

I was searching for myself what 30 Baume syrup was and came across an older post here. I did a little research and in one of my professional cookbooks, tucked away in small print as a side note was a recipe for it, broken down into 3 designations. Hope this helps! It's certainly made it possible for me to now make the White Mirror Glaze I've been dying to try.

30 BAUME SYRUP

Like simple syrup, 30 baume syrup is an essential ingredient for the pastry chef. The difference between simple syrup and 30 baume syrup is in the ratio between sugar and water. 30 baume syrup calls for 137 percent sugar to 100 percent water.

Ingredients : Baker's % Kilogram US decimal

Water 100.00 0.844 1.861
Sugar 137.00 1.156 2.549

Total 237.00 2.000 4.410

Ingredients : Lb & Oz Test

Water 1 13 3/4 13 5/8 oz
Sugar 2 8 3/4 1 lb 2 3/8 oz

Total 4 6 1/2 2 lb

Process

1. Combine the water and sugar and wash down the sides of the pot.

2. Bring to a boil, remove from the heat, cover, and reserve.

Edited by dinkydragon (log)
  • Like 1