• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good cheap wine

llc45

Since we like our wine, we are always looking for decent red wines for everyday drinking/cooking purposes at reasonable (OK - cheap) prices. When we find something like this, we generally will buy it by the case to take advantage of additional discounts. Lately, our everyday wine is a Spanish table wine made by Este that sells in the $8 price range.

However, my friend made friends with the someone at our local wine store who is always pointing out real bargains. She brought over a bottle of Mattie's Perch Shiraz last weekend. It is Australian. I liked it as good or better than my cheapie wine. I was floored when she told me the price - $2.99 at our local wine store.

Spanish wines are beginning to catch on, and the Euro stomping the dollar is not a good thing for us European wine consumers in the coming months. They expect a 20-30% increase in prices across the board on imports from that continent. However, Portuguese wines are still relatively unknown and a great bargain. Argentina is also a great country for wine. They're economy is also rebounding, but has yet to catch up to us. You usually can't go wrong with any malbec from Mendoza, and there are many to be had for under $10. Chile was a premiere producer, and they still offer some good choices, but I find the chances of a good wine from Argentina higher than a Chilean one.

Here in the city, I go to Astor Wines and Spirits, I believe they deliver out of state, and buy a dozen or so bottles at a time, ranging from $3 and up. They're selection is pretty good and their pricing is pretty on par with what I pay wholesale, just because of the sheer volume they do. Sometimes their stuff is even cheaper than my wholesale price.

Ryan Jaronik

Executive Chef

Monkey Town

NYC

Spanish wines are beginning to catch on, and the Euro stomping the dollar is not a good thing for us European wine consumers in the coming months. They expect a 20-30% increase in prices across the board on imports from that continent. However, Portuguese wines are still relatively unknown and a great bargain. Argentina is also a great country for wine. They're economy is also rebounding, but has yet to catch up to us. You usually can't go wrong with any malbec from Mendoza, and there are many to be had for under $10. Chile was a premiere producer, and they still offer some good choices, but I find the chances of a good wine from Argentina higher than a Chilean one.

Here in the city, I go to Astor Wines and Spirits, I believe they deliver out of state, and buy a dozen or so bottles at a time, ranging from $3 and up. They're selection is pretty good and their pricing is pretty on par with what I pay wholesale, just because of the sheer volume they do. Sometimes their stuff is even cheaper than my wholesale price.

Thanks for the heads up - I guess I better really stock up before the European prices go up.

After checking through my cellar, I definitely have to echo some of that based on the prices I recorded: The best deals I've had lately have mostly been Spanish (Malbecs, Granaches/Monastrels, Tempranillos, Mourvèdres) or Argentinian (Malbecs, Syrahs) with a few from Chile (Malbecs, Syrahs, Cabernet Sauvignons). I have fewer Portugese, though what I do have were very affordable and I'm looking forward to trying them in the near future.

The currency trends that ryanj mentions taking the Dollar down against the Euro are also a good thing to keep in mind if you find some wines you are particularly fond of and want to stock up for cellaring.