• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef Tendons

Dejah

Scored!

Elder sister has sent out cooked beef tendons from Vancouver -dim sum style. :biggrin:

Elder brother found frozen beef tendons in Winnipeg's Asian market - Sun Wah.

Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Now, how to duplicate the dim sum style, and try out new recipes.

Please help! :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Wow, I just got one from a pet store for my dog and she loves it.

However, I've never cooked one personally or seen one for sale in a store. My guess is that it needs a generous amount of braising time, with the resulting liquid as rich as oxtail braising liquid. Do the basic mire poix, red wine, chicken stock and herb method, maybe throw in some thai chiles if you're feeling it. I will order some from my meat company next week and see about them and report back to you.

Ryan Jaronik

Executive Chef

Monkey Town

NYC

Ooh, let me know how that goes. I love that stuff, and it would be great if I knew how to make it.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

The tendons I get at the local dim sum place is reddish in colour and not seasoned enough for my taste and sometimes tough.

This is how I cook beef tendons. I buy uncooked tendons and simmer them with my braised brisket(I use meat from the beef legs, not brisket) but I give it a minimum 30-40 minutes simmering headstart, since they take longer than the beef to soften. The usual star anise, ginger, soya sauce, garlic, onion, xioshing wine, sugar, salt and orange rind. Throw in some daikon for veg. The reduced sauce of the tendon and beef stew is already thick from the gelatin. For a thicker stew, use a corstarch slurry. Good with hofun noodles or rice or on wonton noodle soup.

Edited by Fugu (log)

The tendons I get at the local dim sum place is reddish in colour and not seasoned enough for my taste and sometimes tough.

This is how I cook beef tendons. I buy uncooked tendons and simmer them with my braised brisket(I use meat from the beef legs, not brisket) but I give it a minimum 30-40 minutes simmering headstart, since they take longer than the beef to soften. The usual star anise, ginger, soya sauce, garlic, onion, xioshing wine, sugar, salt and orange rind. Throw in some daikon for veg. The reduced sauce of the tendon and beef stew is already thick from the gelatin. For a thicker stew, use a corstarch slurry. Good with hofun noodles or rice or on wonton noodle soup.

That "recipe" sounds like what I am planning to use. I'll probably throw in some chili peppers for that ma lah kick. Thanks, Fugu. :biggrin:

IN my search for recipes, I read in one blog where you'd have to watch the timing on the tendons. Too little, they remain tough, too long, they become a gelatinous mass.

I had some tendon at a dim sum restaurant in Winnipeg recommended by prasantrin (not Kum Koon, Ben), and they were very good - tender and flavourful.

I"ll be sampling some this afternoon - the shipment from Vancouver. I'll keep a couple of containers in the freezer for comparison when I make my own.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Just as a side note, the tendons have an inner and outer portion and when the outer core of the tendon begins to cook, it contracts and the inner core gets squeezed out and sometimes pops out of the pot...Freaky! :smile:

Edited by Fugu (log)