• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Real Zaatar Has No Citric Acid

Bumping this thread, because I have only just tried Zaatar for the first time last week, and I'm totally addicted (are you sure it doesn't contain CRACK)?!? My problem is that I can't find a local source (still trying)--do any of you know of a good online source for it? I want the blend...

Btw, sprinkle it in Fage yogurt, drizzle a little olive oil on top, and...WOW! :wub:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Thanks, Pam and baroness! Good to know about those. Since posting, a chef pal has agreed to take me to a section of nearby Paterson where I may also find it. I'm hoping to get it in time to serve on Sunday, but if not, I'll go on line.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 4 weeks later...

Therefore I have decided to make it myself. I even got fresh Zaatar, a special

Zaatar plant (Majorana syriaca) and not Thyme as many think, Authentic (relativley expensive) Sumac from the north Lebanon Border (grape looking/Red) and even grind that myself, because I even heard that most Sumac u get are mixed with something red to win on volume :angry: -- because you can only trust what you make yourself from scratch. :wub:

Cheers, Sarah

http://sarahmelamed.com/