• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Laduree at the Plaza

adegiulio

It's no secret that Laduree will opening up some sort of establishment in the renovated Plaza Hotel (or whatever it will be called). Does anyone have a feel for when this will finally be a reality?

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

• 11 months later...

hate to be a downer, but i just don't think there are any very good macarons to be had in ny. might consider dessert at l'atelier. or even just coffee. the macarons that come there as mignardises are, in my book, by far the best in the city. i would not even say there is not a close second.

Try Madeleine patisserie on 23rd, has a ton of flavors.

Bouchon Bakery has some pretty nice seasonal ones as well.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

I'm plugging a friend of a friend here, but I really enjoyed the macaroons I sampled from Itzy Bitzy Patisserie. The outfit is just getting started, but they sell at the Brooklyn Flea Market on Sundays. I liked them significantly more than those from Bouchon.

hate to be a downer, but i just don't think there are any very good macarons to be had in ny.  might consider dessert at l'atelier.  or even just coffee.  the macarons that come there as mignardises are, in my book, by far the best in the city.  i would not even say there is not a close second.

I disagree. The macarons at the end of the meal at Adour are wonderful. I also have had good macarons at Le Maison de Chocolat. Also, in this months issue of Departure magazine there is a article about macarons and has a list of the best places to buy macarons in the United States.

I do not recommend them at Bouchon Bakery. They are giant (like the size of a hamburger) and too soggy in the center. Some are good, others are soggy. Also they coat the cookies in chocolate (!) which I find quite odd. I was quite disappointed in the quality control there. The seasonal one I tried was fine, not great, just fine. But those of the regularly available flavors were not good at all.

La Maison's are excellent but they do not have a lot of flavors. However, they are flown in from France on a regular basis (every two days I think) in special macaron-sized containers. I love the salted caramel.

Madeleine Patisserie has a giant number of flavors but they keep theirs in a refrigerated case and cold. You really need to let them come to room temperature. They are also on the moist/soggy side. If I get them, I leave them on the kitchen counter overnight to dry out. I like them well enough but they are not as good as others. Also note that a flavor like "raspberry chocolate" is raspberry flavoring in the cookie but chocolate ganache on the inside.

Itzy Bitzy Patisserie (friend of a friend's bakery) is very promising but also on the moist side, and I find the filling to cookie ratio is a bit off. There is too much filling and the macarons are on the tall side. They have a selection of 6 flavors seasonally. The pumpkin was too moist and a little bland. And the chocolate caramel pecan was too busy. But the other four were good. No storefront yet though.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

In my opinion the best macarons in the city are coming out of the pastry kitchen at the Modern. Adour's macarons are superb as well, though maybe not quite at the level of the Essex House macarons that were the best in town during that restaurant's lifetime. Per Se also puts out great macarons, even though the ones at Bouchon Bakery are not noteworthy (go figure). However, those are all restaurant macarons, produced in small quantity by a restaurant's pastry kitchen -- that's very hard to match. The only place I know of where you can walk in and buy macarons retail that are as good as what you might get at Laduree is La Maison du Chocolat.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Glad to read so many differing opinions.

Personally, I think Bouchon sucks. Nice flavors. But that can't hide crappy macarons.

La Maison du Chocolat I've consistently encountered problems with freshness.

Adour was after my time in NY, so I can't comment.

The Modern, macarons weren't served the one time I've gone.

I don't think the ones at Per Se are very good. I usually find them too chewy.

Madeleine and Itzy Bitzy are new to me.

I still contend that there's nothing even remotely close to Laduree in NY.

It hasn't been the same since Fauchon closed, that's for sure.

To clarify, while I don't think Bouchon makes exceptional quality macarons, they are worth checking out for the macaron lover just for the unusual flavors they put out, the likes of which I have not seen anywhere else.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Does anyone have news of Laduree New York?  I checked Laduree's website and cannot locate any info.  Headed to New York City in 2 weeks and would enjoy a macaron fix if one is to be had.

To get back to that question: Does anyone have news about Laduree at the Plaza? Or could it be that Demel has in effect replaced it?