• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Prime Rib in Manhattan

mikeyrad

The Strip House serves a beautiful, giant, 40oz prime rib. It's a special, though, and you should call beforehand to make sure they will have them that night. It's one of the few monstrously sized meals that IMHO had a flavor of the same proportion. Get it medium rare--oooh--the rendered fat and meat combo just knocked me out... Thanks for bringing back a great meat memory for me! I used to think of prime rib as an overcooked, underflavored banquet dish until I met the one at Strip House.

I'm partial to Old Homestead. Meltingly tender; beefy but not too strong; very tasty crust; meat and fat have clear demarcations, so you can eat as much or as little of each as you want; enough to feed a family of four for a week (at least, it seems like that to me :biggrin: ). And the leftovers were great, too.

One place I DO NOT recommend for Prime Rib is MarkJoseph. Definitely not their forte.

On a Saturday night, I would even venture to call beforehand and ask them to put one aside for you--in case they run out. Believe me, it's happened! Have a good time and please report back. Oh, and best sides are the truffle creamed spinach, and goosefat potatoes!

When you guys recommend the Strip House for prime rib, do you mean it as in roast beef or are you talking about the rib chop they serve there? I've eaten there a number of times and have had that gigantic rib chop which I thought was overrated. The better steak there is the NY strip. But if Mikeyrad's original question was about where to get a good hunk of roast beef, The Palm has a reasonable roast beef available every night. But other then that I can't think of many places that serve it.

• 4 years later...

When I heard Prime Rib I think of the roast beef style dish. Not a rib chop. I thought that's usually called rib-eye - no?

Strangely, the best prime rib I've eaten was at the cheesy Excalibur hotel in Vegas. The only one in the city I've had was the one time I ate at Taven on the Green. Overpriced (I wasn't paying) but pretty good.

I haven't had an exceptional one in NY (in fact, I don't see it on very many menus of places where I'd order it). The Prime Rib (originally in B'more -- expanded to DC and Philly) does probably the best one I've had. I've heard Keens can be very good, but never had it.

Anxiously awaiting other thoughts, as a great Prime Rib is a true treat...

I was thinking of the roast beef style dish as well. Other than Luger's at lunch, I cannot remember seeing it on any of the NYC steakhouse menus. A friend asked for a prime rib recommendation in NYC and I could not think of one. I satisfy my craving at the River Palm in New Jersey when I eat with the in-laws. I notice that the palm has prime rib on the menu. Anyone have it there?

They used to have prime rib as a weekly (Thursday) special at Pershing Square. It was very good, I thought. It's no longer on the menu.

They serve prime rib at Keen's. After detailed extended exploration, I've decided that it's only OK. But if you need a fix, it's good enough. (You need to order the larger, on-the-bone dinner-menu cut, not the pub menu cut.) (Both menus, confusingly, being available in both the pub and the dining room.)

I have been there about 6 or 7 times. I lived right next door to it and would take customers.. I really liked a few things there. Never had the prime rib.. It was called An American Place I am pretty sure...

Edited by Daniel (log)

I love prime rib, and except for The Old Homestead in the old days, I can't think of any place that I've been to in Manhattan that serves it. But...

You can go to http://www.menupages.com/ and do an "advanced search" for "prime rib". You've got to do it one neighborhood at a time, though. I did it for 'Midtown East' and 'Midtown West' (those are but some of the choices) and this is what I got:

Bull & Bear

301 Park Ave | At 49th St

Cafe Centro

200 Park Ave | At 45th St & Vanderbilt Ave

Cinema at 45th St

2 E 45th St | At 5th Ave

Cinema at 60th St

43 E 60th St | Btwn Madison & Park Ave

Fresco

34 E 52nd St | At Madison Ave

Outback Steakhouse

919 3rd Ave | Btwn 55th & 56th St

Smith & Wollensky

797 3rd Ave | At 49th St

Texas Rotisserie & Grill

712 3rd Ave | Btwn 44th & 45th St

Wollensky's Grill

205 E 49th St | At 3rd Ave

Ben Benson's Steak House

123 W 52nd St | Btwn 6th & 7th Ave

Cafe Classico

35 W 57th St | Btwn 5th & 6th Ave

Gallagher's Steakhouse

228 W 52nd St | Btwn 8th Ave & Bway

Playwright

202 W 49th St | Btwn Bway & 7th Ave

Playwright Act II

732 8th Ave | Btwn 45th & 46th St

Rock Center Cafe

20 W 50th St | Btwn 5th & 6th Ave

Shula's Steak House

270 W 43rd St | At 8th Ave

Ted's Montana Grill

110 W 51st St | Btwn 6th & 7th Ave

I have no idea if that's accurate, but of course you can see a menu for each of these places (don't know that it's the current one or not) while you're there.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's