• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Splashing around the Grenadines

We are planning a trip to the Grenadines ealy next year. Plan is to start in Carriacou then putter around the islands in a catamaran eventually winding up in Grenada.

Question is - where would be good stops for good food?

- all budgets and styles considered! Looking for places with good local ambience as well as perhaps one or two of the fine dining category.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

As nobody replied last time I thought I would try and bump this thread as I will be off to Grenada in a couple of weeks. Once again all budgets, styles considered as well as some good drinking establishments.

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

As nobody replied last time I thought I would try and bump this thread as I will be off to Grenada in a couple of weeks. Once again all budgets, styles considered as well as some good drinking establishments.

I'm assuming you'll go to the Tobago Cays, because they are pretty essential in terms of spectacular snorkelling and diving. If you are, I would recommend an evening on Happy Island - it's basically a sand bank off Union Island, which has been built up with conch shells. The guy who owns it will pick you up from the jetty, serve you with killer rum punches while he cooks dinner (usually lobster or somesuch grilled over a wood fire, simple but delicious). You can relax for as long as you like in the hammocks, before he takes you back to Union Island - definitely a good experience.

If you are going further north, up to Bequia - well the drinking scene is very lively there, particularly around Port Elizabeth, but I would say the best and most interesting restaurant is Fernando's Hideaway. It's West Indian, a limited menu (perhaps 3-4 choices of mains), but very, very good, mainly due to the interesting side dishes. They don't open every night, and get extremely busy (booking essential), so you'd probably have to share a table, but that usually works out well.

I've always been disappointed by anything with pretensions to fine dining in the Grenadines, but have no experience of Grenada, which is where you are more likely to find something good along those lines. I have a feeling Gary Rhodes has a restaurant there.

Unfortunately I will most likely be sitting on my lazy arse around the pool most days, while I enjoy snorkelling I'm recovering from a leg injury that might make it a little hard for me at the moment so I'm limited to Grenada itself.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Petit St. Vincent Resort is a private island that welcomes sailors. Excellent bar, decent dining room, and a beautiful location to drop anchor. Much of the island is reserved for guests but there are areas a visitor can wander and explore. Everything is casual.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter