• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dry-aged beef

Stuckey

Yeah..you got a nice medallion..in the eye. Which any more is all I need for a dinner.

Those other pieces... ?

I might even consider grinding them and making a killer slider. Don't think that bad...I'm not sure what u paid...but I'm sure that eye..will satisfy your monies worth

Btw..I would not re-hydrate anything

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

Great, thanks for the additional thoughts! I was feeling pretty anti rehydrating, which is why I came to the experts here.

I paid all of $5, so I have a feeling I got my moneys worth just smelling the meat. I can't eat that much dry aged steak anyway, so the eye will be plenty. Anything I get from the rest will be a bonus.

I am not sure if he is still involved with the restaurant but I know that Adam Perry Lang set up the beef sourcing and dry aging operation at CarneVino, also at Robert's Steakhouse at the Penthouse Executive Club . Last I heard he was pretty busy with Barbecoa in London, partnered with Jamie Oliver.

http://www.adamperrylang.com/restaurants

Edited by Ashen (log)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I'm not sure... generally they would have a sign up for the breed, but in this case, it came straight from the fridge. I'll ask next time I swing by. It came from heritage meats, a great NYC butcher. It's the kind of place where you can't decide what you're going to cook until you're there, since you don't know what surprises they'll have in store. I went to pick up some pork chops, and left with cheeks and lamb heart recently.

They usually have a rack of dry aged rib steaks... last weeks were particularly great looking, but I didn't pick one up that day. Unfortunately, they were gone when I went back a couple days later. Photo attached to show off some more interesting marbling.

steak2.png

• 9 months later...