• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tartiflette & Reblochon Cheese

Shel_B

Hi,

This weekend I'd like to make tartiflette, or some variation. If I cannot find reblochon cheese, what would be a good substitute? Someone suggested Gruyere - but there are many variations of Gruyere. Would a young gruyere be appropriate, or perhaps something older? Some other cheese perhaps?

shel

... Shel

San Francisco? You will definitely be able to find reblo.

I would not sub gruyere - it will melt differently.

Go to Rainbow Grocery, Whole Foods, or a good cheesemonger - if you are going to the trouble to make (sigh) tartiflette (Homer Simpson "mmmmm"), you will be glad you got the real deal.

Enjoy and pretend you are high in the Savoie somewhere.

San Francisco?  You will definitely be able to find reblo.

I would not sub gruyere - it will melt differently.

Go to Rainbow Grocery, Whole Foods, or a good cheesemonger - if you are going to the trouble to make (sigh) tartiflette (Homer Simpson "mmmmm"), you will be glad you got the real deal.

Enjoy and pretend you are high in the Savoie somewhere.

I live in the East Bay, and the local WF doesn't have reb. In a while I'm going to a better stocked cheese store - Cheese Board in Berkeley - and my guess is that they'll probably have it, however, if not, some good sub will work for my immediate purposes. The CB staff will probably have some suggestions.

Thanks!

... Shel

Tell us how it went! I love tartiflette but my doctor strongly suggested me to be more carefull.

I got the reb and will probably make the dish tomorrow or Sunday. I've never made it before. A friend mentioned it to me (she had the dish some years ago while living in France), and I dug up a few recipes and techniques over the past few months.

I love food like this, but rarely eat it. This is a once or twice a year dish for me, just like mac and cheese, so when I make it, it should be something special.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

shel

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

So I'm still curious what people think about the original question. What if you really could not get reblochon and were determined to make something tartiflette-ish? What would you use? I've done it with stilton but I wan't trying to sub for reblochon, I was going for a whole different thing. What if that wasn't the goal, you were actually trying to get as close as possible without reblochon?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

OMG - I just checked recipes for Tartiflette and it looks so good and so unhealthy! I might have to make it ONCE!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So I'm still curious what people think about the original question. What if you really could not get reblochon and were determined to make something tartiflette-ish? What would you use? I've done it with stilton but I wan't trying to sub for reblochon, I was going for a whole different thing. What if that wasn't the goal, you were actually trying to get as close as possible without reblochon?

For our own security, I would not suggest anyone to mention any alternative cheese by name... there are some hardcore tatiflette fanatics out there! :blink:

That being said, reblochon is a soft, washed rind cow milk cheese... there is a great variety of these.

I am a purist - if you are trying to make a regional specialty, why would you do it without the real ingredients?

Tartiflette is made with reblochon - there is no other cheese that is quite like it. Yes, it is washed rind, but certainly not stinky and runny like Epoisse, which would not be appropriate, as it is too big a flavor and texturally very different.

I think any city in the US would have a cheesemonger who would sell reblo - if not, go on i-gourmet and get some sent.

It's kind of like making beef wellington without beef and subbing tofu...

(Waiting for flames....)

I am a purist - if you are trying to make a regional specialty, why would you do it without the real ingredients?

I'm somewhat of a purist as well, but, atthe time I posted my question I didn't know if reblochon could be purchased locally. As it turned out, it can be, so I'm a happy camper.

After tasting the cheese I can now find some substitutes should i wish to make the dish again without using reblochon. No, it won't be "authentic," which itself is a knockoff of some earlier recipes using reblo, but it will certainly be good. I'll just call the dish "faux tartiflette." <LOL>

shel

... Shel

How did it turn out????

Turned out very well ... next time I'll use a different bacon and a different wine, will treat the onions to a little more caramelization and slice them rather than dice them. It's a good dish - very tasty and filling. A perfect dish for the season.

shel

... Shel

Yes, that's true - real reblo is raw milk, and of course our government wants to protect us from that. Always looking out for our best interest, and making us eat bland, crappy, cheese!

But you can get pasteurized, as Shel did. And it is a great dish for the season...