• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fermented carrot juice?

A friend of mine has been searching for fermented carrot juice since he had it in Turkey this summer.

Does anyone have a recipe or know where to buy it in Chicago or the NW suburbs?

I can't remember his description that well, but it's very carrot-y...and fermented. :wub:

A friend of mine has been searching for fermented carrot juice since he had it in Turkey this summer. 

Does anyone have a recipe or know where to buy it in Chicago or the NW suburbs? 

I can't remember his description that well, but it's very carrot-y...and fermented.  :wub:

Hello, could you possibly be referring to "carrot wine"? I've never had it, but if you google search the term 'carrot wine', you will find a bunch of recipes. There's even an online retail source where you can purchase bottles.

If you decide to make it, please keep us posted. :wink:

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I'm pretty sure it was non-alcoholic. I googled for "carrot wine" and started to get excited by the idea of making it, but I know I'm not going to go thru with it. I never thought carrot wine was possible :)

I thought I had done a good google search for fermented carrot juice, but I just tried again and got a recipe for an Indian version and a online source. The recipe does concern me - at what point could "fermented" juice turn into "spoiled and rotten" juice? If I try the recipe, I will let you know!

http://www.indiacurry.com/beverage/b005kanji.htm

http://www.tasteofturkey.com/mystore.php?P...=&ProductId=509

edited to add the links

Edited by sun (log)

• 3 months later...

I did a Turkish search, and found this recipe. I've never made it but it sounds similar to some things I've heard.

One thing you may have trouble finding is red carrots. These are known mostly as "black carrots" in Turkey; they are very very dark red. I have seed if you want to try growing them.

ŞALGAM SUYU

INGREDIENTS:

2 kg bulgur flour (this is the finest dust that is left after bulgur is milled and graded. You can grind regular bulgur to make it)

13 lt water

200 gr sourdough starter

2 kg red carrots

200 gr kosher salt

300 gr turnips

2 lt şalgam (you will have to buy some for your first batch)

Mix all the bulgur flour with the starter and 50 gr salt. Add enough water to make a dough, let ferment. This takes 3-5 days at room temperature. During the fermentation the dough will rise, and eventually cracks will begin to appear in the surface. This is the time to stop the fermentation. Put the dough into another container, add four parts water to the 1 part of dough, and stir 5-10 minutes. At the end, the pieces that don't dissolve will settle to the bottom. Pour off the liquid above and pour into another container. Do this three times, but the second and third time, add one part per thousand salt. I.e. during the second and third settling you will add 10 parts per thousand of salt. Then the liquid is poured off once more, leaving any sediment. To this liquid, add the sliced carrots and turnips, and the previously-made şalgam, and leave to ferment for 7 days at 25 C. Strain the red liquid into another container, leaving the vegetables and sediment behind. Store in the refrigerator.

Not:

• If you can't find sourdough starter, you can allow bulgur to sit in water overnight - 2 kg bulgure and 3 lt water.

• In cold weather, for a different flavor, place the carrot in water and bring to a boil once before adding to the rest of the liquid.

• If possible, it is recommended to make şalgam in a wooden barrel.

AFİYET OLSUN

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

In northern India, and especially Punjab, beetroot mainly, but sometomes the red carrots mentioned here, are placed in clay vessels with crushed mustard seeds, salt, water and what else I don't know, sealed and I presume allowed to undergo lactic acid fermentation. This reddish juice which goes by the name "kanji" is drunk stright and much relished during the warmer months.

Edited by v. gautam (log)