• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I don't normally post on this forum as we live in France, but we're here for the holidays.

Yesterday we were invited to a fuddle. This is a new word & was a new experience for us. Very pleasant it was too.

My question to you, the UK Gulleteers, is? How many of you know what a fuddle is?

I had never heard this term either. For the record I was born in Cumberland, my parents are both from Tyneside and I grew up mostly near Manchester, before moving south to go to University.

As far as I can tell this seems to be a Deryshire dialect word - see here for a definition and more details...

Does anyone know if this is just Derbyshire, or is it more widespread than that? (It certainly wasn't a Lancashire term when I was a child.)

Very glad to hear that fuddle is a real event. I did have a concern that my leg was being pulled.

The fuddle I attended took place in Otley and was the holiday party at a charity shop that my sister-in-law mamaged until she retired at the end of November. We had drinks & snacks.

Joan, one of the ladies who help in the shop, came up with fuddle. She's over 80 & comes from the area.

Thanks for the reassurance.

we usually have a fuddle at work on Xmas Eve - in Leeds - everyone brings a bit of food and drink in - usually coordinated by someone to ensure we have some variety, and it becomes a nice little social gathering to start the festive season.

we usually have a fuddle at work on Xmas Eve - in Leeds - everyone brings a bit of food and drink in - usually coordinated by someone to ensure we have some variety, and it becomes a nice little social gathering to start the festive season.

Sounds spot on to me. That's exactly how the fuddle I went to was organized.

I was told that 'traditionally' fuddles are held around tjhe Christmas holiday season, but I don't know if that's right or not.

I too would love to learn more.