• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Late-night sushi options?

Nathan

unfortunately, there's no way we'll make it to Esashi in time and Seki and Ichimura are entirely in the wrong direction.

I'll be getting out at 44th and 7th at 11:15ish...and will end up either in the WV or the EV.

I'm thinking sushi might not happen tonight...

OK - If it were me, haul ass to 55th and 8th. Last order at Sugiyama is 11:45 (but call ahead), Totto is upstairs, and that particular East, as I found out recently, is actually not bad at all and they have several Japanese sushi chefs working late [edit: East may not be open that late, but Totto is open until 1am]

Kanoyama in the EV is open until 12am. Le Miu is open until 1:00am, is probably most up your alley, I haven't been and it rubs me as overpriced but definitely worth a visit...

Edited by raji (log)

thanks!

Sugiyama isn't going to happen. my friend is explicitly craving seafood and she works at 5 a.m. tomorrow (international markets) so no kaiseki.

I'm paying for two so price does matter. Kanoyama and Le Miu both look like good bets.

Edited by Nathan (log)

thanks!

Sugiyama isn't going to happen.  my friend is explicitly craving seafood and she works at 5 a.m. tomorrow (international markets) so no kaiseki.

I'm paying for two so price does matter.  Kanoyama and Le Miu both look like good bets.

Sugiyama has a post-theatre prix fixe and others with just seafood (or you can just ask for that) they might be closing up around midnight or have people lingering there later (Nao can be cool like that) - I would call with your situation and see what they say cuz Le Miu is closing up by 1am anyhoo

I haven't been to blue-ribbon since Ushi opened, and not to tomoe since blue ribbon opened, funny how that works. No reason to believe they've gone downhill except that there are myriad more options downtown now -

SO, I'd say the new one in TWC is worth a visit - report back if you go! I'm very curious. It's open until 2am....

http://www.blueribbonrestaurants.com/resta...hiBarGrill_main

Edited by raji (log)

What about Lan? 3rd Avenue and 11th. Open until 1am, and rumor has it that a former Ushi chef is now working there. But it'll probably be Lan or Le Miu at that hour if you're in the EV.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Wait... 'scuse me for my laziness and ignorance (I haven't been in NYC that long, and my boyfriend hates fish)...

...but where are each of these places located exactly? I was going to look up sushi on here later, and with about the same needs/wants (though EV preferably, also WV) for tonight as well. Though time isn't as critical for me... not sure if that makes a significant difference or not.

Raw fish cravings + sister who loves it = hooray, I eat sashimi! :wub:

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Wait... 'scuse me for my laziness and ignorance (I haven't been in NYC that long, and my boyfriend hates fish)...

...but where are each of these places located exactly?

There are over 500 sushi places listed on MENU PAGES.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

...but where are each of these places located exactly? I was going to look up sushi on here later, and with about the same needs/wants (though EV preferably, also WV) for tonight as well. Though time isn't as critical for me... not sure if that makes a significant difference or not.

Go to Esashi @ 5th and A, you will thank me later...

weinoo.... and 95 percent of them I wouldn't even send my enemies to!

weinoo.... and 95 percent of them I wouldn't even send my enemies to!

Agreed, raji (but they list a lot of addresses) - Esashi is our "local" favorite - the only place we go for sushi down here - it's on A between 2nd and 3rd - east side of the street.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Sounds good. But is it at 5th, or between 2nd and 3rd...? Because everything I've found online for it (wanted to find a menu, out of curiousity) said that instead... o.O

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

The problem with Kano Yama is that it closes at 12. I would be very reluctant to go to any sushi place anywhere near within half an hour of its stated closing time. There was just a tale of woe told on the Yasuda topic of an experience torpedoed by the bum's rush. This is an unfortunate cultural issue that I've never found a good way around. So unless you want to run the risk that you'll be sitting there while they clean up the sushi bar and hover for your order, I'd go someplace that's open later.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Sounds good. But is it at 5th, or between 2nd and 3rd...? Because everything I've found online for it (wanted to find a menu, out of curiousity) said that instead... o.O

32 Avenue A...2nd and 3rd...click.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

The problem with Kano Yama is that it closes at 12. I would be very reluctant to go to any sushi place anywhere near within half an hour of its stated closing time. There was just a tale of woe told on the Yasuda topic of an experience torpedoed by the bum's rush. This is an unfortunate cultural issue that I've never found a good way around. So unless you want to run the risk that you'll be sitting there while they clean up the sushi bar and hover for your order, I'd go someplace that's open later.

Yes, there are 2 times to note - the last order time and the actual closing time - and by making a reservation near or at last order time, you have made a contract and shouldn't expect the staff to hang out later as you linger. In Japan every place plays "auld lang syne" and that means "get the F out"

Go to Soto. You won't regret it.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Agreed - you're paying more for atmosphere, location, convenience, and variety of stuff on the menu. The otoro I had last time I was there was probably the fattiest I've ever had -- practically fell apart the second you looked at it.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure